Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Td20c repower in progress

illinoisboy ยท 2017-05-03 17:47

Pulled the 573 that was on its way out and have a 573 out of an IH 270 scraper to put in it. Problem is, my dozer is a vpump. And the donor motor is a rotary, stanadyne pump. The stanadyne pump is locked up and junk. I can't find a reasonable price on a reman one. Any leads on a used one? Or anyone who has a rotary pump off a ,573 that they would part with? I just had the torque converter rebuilt, and don't have an engine to put in front of it now. Looks like it's not possible to change pumps either,,, front cover and gears are way different. The newer 20s ran an 8.3 Cummins, but I'm not sure about the bell housing,flywheel working with existing TC. Supposedly the same TC they used up until the late 90s.. any help would be awesome! Also thought about a 466 IH, but would prefer the Cummins

Replies25
  1. #1DB092017-05-03 18:49

    Try fp smith in California.

  2. #2repowerguy2017-05-03 19:19

    The newer TD-20's had L-10's in them, 15E's had 8.3's in them.

  3. #3RZucker2017-05-03 19:56

    You need to do some research. I know nothing about the 573... But the scraper engine is more than likely equipped with a fast acting limiting speed type governor whereas the crawler would prefer a constant speed type governor. You may want check into that before you grab the first pump you find. Seen that issue a few times when people bought a 2 stroke Detroit to power a crawler and the limiting speed governor from a truck would just not run right. At least that was a simple parts swap. Your pump may not be so easy... Just sayin'

  4. #4RZucker2017-05-03 19:57

    The 20's I worked on had the V-800s.

  5. #5repowerguy2017-05-03 21:30

    I'm not sure of the series of the TD-20, I'm thinking it was a E series that had the L-10 in it RZucker. Regardless, a 6v92 would be a real repower, with the aforementioned dual weight variable speed governor of course!

  6. #6RZucker2017-05-03 22:20

    Actually my Detroit comment was related to Terex/Euclid crawler owners, But a 6V92 would make an excellent replacement for a V-800.

  7. #7illinoisboy2017-05-04 12:14

    It's not a v800. I get your comment about the pumps though,, that makes sense, the scraper would be pulling down pretty hard too though so not sure. A Detroit while might be great to some, wouldn't be my pick, I need something that I can match up my bell housing and TC with. The 466, 8.3, and l 10, all were at one point mated to the same Rockford TC I have in it now. Just not sure the 466 will be enough... Talked to guys who have repowered with a 466, and it's worked for them... Thanks all!

  8. #8oldirt2017-05-05 07:27

    I vote for the 8.3. no way would I want to go back to the detroit (expletive deleted). cummins is a fantastic motor.

  9. #9Jock2017-05-05 09:12

    I used to work for the Dressta (previously Dresser, previously International) dealer back in Tassie, Oz. There were quite a few 20's running around down there. The C's and E's had V800's, the H I think had a the M11 Cummins and the latest TD20Ms had the common rail QSC8.3. By far one of the worst engines I've worked on. We had no end of dramas with injectors, leaking sumps and fuel tubes. Quite a few of the C's and E's were converted over to the L10. I can definitely recommend that option, I worked on plenty of those and most customers were happy with them

  10. #10Birken Vogt2017-05-05 09:38

    I have no experience with them as tractor engines but as truck engines I have about a zillion miles on the old 8.3s. They were extremely reliable. Once DPF came along not so great like everything else. But the old ones with CAPS pumps or whatever came before seemed to be as good as a 5.9, just a reliable running engine.

  11. #11illinoisboy2017-05-05 11:58

    The 573 and the v800 are different engines. My c has a 573. I like the l10 option but need the bell housing and flywheel to match the TC I have. Searching the internet is never ending. Lol

  12. #12Jock2017-05-05 19:54

    Try sending an email to Dave at http://www.dlmmachinery.com/ they did a lot of the conversions back in the day in Tassie. Another option is Keith at http://www.jfmachinery.com.au/ . Both know TD20's inside out

  13. #13RZucker2017-05-05 20:06

    Actually... If you read the thread nobody suggested to the OP to install a Detroit engine. My first post was a comparison about the possibility of differing governors. Also the OP has a 573 engine... my only experience with TD 20's were the E series and they had the V800, Miserable POS in my opinion and a Detroit would be a Major improvement. I have replaced 903 Cummins engine several times with 8V-92's and the result was a smoother running machine with cheaper parts availability and actually better fuel economy. So just save the Detroit hate.

  14. #14td25c2017-05-05 20:56

    Can you not swap the front cover & gear train so you could use the original V pump on the good 573 engine ? Build up one good 573 out of the two engines .

  15. #15oldirt2017-05-05 21:16

    to rzucker.. go back and read post #6.

  16. #16td25c2017-05-05 21:20

    Some people don't realize what there missing out on RZ . 6 V 92 was another option I thought of in illinoisboy's other TD 20 C engine thread . Engines & parts readily available at a reasonable cost & more than enough power . HeavyEquipmentForums What few TD20 C 's I've been around with the V 8 engine noticed there aint allot of extra room between the hard nose & bell housing . That machine was built for a V8 . Would an in line 6 even fit ?

  17. #17RZucker2017-05-05 21:37

    Go back and reread it yourself. That poster was talking about the V-800 did not mention that the OP should go Detroit.

  18. #18RZucker2017-05-05 21:46

    I have never dealt with a C model. The E's had the V-800 that was a miserable piece of junk that shook the machine apart. I have seen an IH 4366 repowered with an 8V-92 that the owner said was the best thing since sliced bread. Again, it was the best solution to the original engine package space. Another 8V-92 repower candidate was the 4994 Case tractor with the POS Scania V-8, they could shake themselves to bits. Hmm, the 8V-92 just purred.

  19. #19td25c2017-05-05 22:09

    Well that does it RZ ! You just sold me on a Detroit engine Bro ! I've worked around a few TD 20 C's with the V8 and just remember seemed like there was not allot of extra room under the hood . Take a look at this one & see what ya think ? http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/International_TD-20C

  20. #20illinoisboy2017-05-05 22:32

    i get the point about the room, but its obviously been done with the inline 6 engines. im not sure a Detroit was ever put in them, and im not sure where you would find a bellhousing and flywheel that would mate up to the tc. I can lengthen or shorten the driveshafts to some extent to move the engine back if needed. I think the engine site low enough in the frame, that is almost clears the floor pan,, I appreciate all the help. don't care about the Detroit drama, I wouldn't go that route anyhow as its not an engine ever put in one. I agree ive heard the v800's were junk, but the 573 has never powered out, no matter what I was pushing, and didn't use much more fuel if any than my underpowered d5m I used. the front cover issue has been discussed, but not sure the gears and everything will fit, it might not even be the same castings on the block, one is a dt573, the other a dvt573.. I know some parts are the same...even if I find a pump or swap mine, im still left with an obsolete engine, regardless if I love the one that's in it or not. I think the availability of the 466,8.3, and l10 make it worth the effort. thanks all, and if anyone knows of an engine and bellhousing out of a td15c or e, or 20e, let me know. thanks again!

  21. #21RZucker2017-05-05 22:34

    Like I have to sell you of all people on a Detroit... I do know things were really tight under the hood on the E models. When they ran, they ran well, I loved 2 speed steering pushing or ripping. But the coolest TD was the 24 with the 817 engine, It had a good sound and could outwork a D8H with the same attachments.

  22. #22RZucker2017-05-05 22:42

    Well... A few of us have had a bit of fun with your thread and no disrespect meant here. I hope you find the parts combo you need to get your machine up and going. And if I happen to run across anything I will let you know.

  23. #23Jock2017-05-06 09:56

    The only photos I have of an M11 in an E I resealed on King Island, gives an idea of how close they sit to the radiator and the second photo is a bit ****** but you can see the height roughly. Sorry haven't got any details on torque convertor

  24. #24illinoisboy2017-05-07 16:14

    Does anyone know if the bell housing is different on the 466 and 573 engines? I would assume it was, but didn't know if they was some standard

  25. #25DMiller2017-05-07 20:19

    Should be SAE 1 on both for bolt pattern, except for truck engines . http://www.hayescouplings.com/pdf/HOW TO DETERMINE WHAT SAE HOUSING YOU HAVE.pdf