My first time on the forum. Great information, new to the dozer. Does anyone know in the 1987 td7e, when sitting in the seat, hydraulic tank to your right, is that tank just for the blade hydaulic system? If so what type of fluid? THEN one under the seat where there is the dipstick, understand that is transmission and torque converter, correct? But are these two tanks totally seperate? Thanks
The two tanks are totally separate as you say. The hydraulic tank (under and behind right elbow) is for the blade/loader and any other equipment like a ripper you may have. The system has it's own pump. The book says use SAE CC/CD 10 wt motor oil or hy-tran. Any good quality 10 wt or ISO 32 hydraulic oil will be good. The tank in the main frame under the seat is indeed the transmission and TConv oil tank.
I'm not 100% sure , but I think the trans /torque converter requires 10W as well with the T-04 package for the clutches/ brakes.
If that is the case that both tanks require 10W oil but the transmission needs a TO-4 because of the additives then use an SAE10W TO-4 oil in both tanks to save the need for 2 different fluids. Using a TO-4 oil in hydraulics won't hurt them. That's what we do on our equipment.
That is good advise and what I used to do. I used 10 wt Kendall Power Shift Fluid at $80 per 5 gal pail. 2 pails in the hydraulic tank and 3 pails in the trans tank. Then I had to deal with a few hydraulic hose problems and it got expensive at $80 a pail. Plus I had to drive 60 miles to get it. Now I use locally available iso 32 in the hydraulic tank at half the money. Just something to think about.
G_man , that's where I'm at as well. I use regular chevron ursla 10 W motor oil in the hydraulics at 46$ a pail and chevron drivetrain with the to-4 additive at 75$ a pail. Our local Komatsu dealer has the drive train / hydro oil at 95$ a pail. It's Castrol brand , Chevron makes a good oil and I have a local distributor.
Our supplier quotes us pretty much the same price for 10W either TO-4 or straight hydraulic, less than 5% difference anyway. Maybe that's because we buy about 3,000 gallons a month of the stuff.
the td7e int, has a place in floor board for your torque converter, he gave you the right kind of fluid information, as you are setting in the seat, look at the floor board and there are 2 bolts, one on each side, they are three quarter, remove plate and there will be a dip stick, there is also one under the seat for the rearend which uses the same kind of fluid, that is if you got a td7e, i know becaused i have owned them the td7g, just has one dip stick under the seat, they are good dozers
Thanks very much for all the response. Great help.
Dresser recommends a series 3-10W oil in the hydraulics and transmission.