Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TD7E Brake Adjustment Issue

imdanl · 2018-11-08 10:24

Hello, I have a early 70's TD7E that the brakes are not working on. I'm not sure why, but there were 2 nuts on each adjustment rod welded to the rod. I removed them both. The break linings are worn and I have removed them. My issue is one side of the brake adjustment rod moves very difficultly and I don't see the adjustment bolt moving and the other side moves easy but I also don't see the pin or bolt moving inside the rear frame casing and it seems to not be grabbing whatever it moves. I don't see how the transfer of movement happens between the adjustment rod and the bolt that moves in and out on the backing plate of the shoe. I don't see that theres any way to access the mechanism and the parts manual does not have any info or pictures of it. As of right now theres no way to adjust either shoe.

Replies8
  1. #1g_man2018-11-10 09:50

    I am a little late but here is a picture of the linkage from my TD7G manual Brake rod 5 pulls lever 3 which is pinned at 2. Center tab on lever 3 pulls lever 1 which rotate the brake levers 6 at the ends. This rotate the eccentric shaft that pushes the clutch disc against the backup shoe 10 to apply the foot brake. The pin at 2 or center tab connection between levers 1 and 3 can break as well as the ends of lever 3. gg

  2. #2imdanl2018-11-10 10:46

    I may not have made it clear what I'm looking for. Its not the brake pedal adjustment I'm looking for its the rod that adjusts the brakes for steering from the rear of the machine with the 7/8 rod/bolt and 1 3/4" jam nut. I took off the side plate and it somehow runs through a rectangular box down to a bolt that pushes the shoe and makes the adjustment. When I turn the bolt from the rear of the dozer it just spins but doesn't move the pin or bolt that adjusts the pad leaving me no way of making a brake adjustment for steering. I can't find absolutely any information on it making me think it's a rare problem.

  3. #3g_man2018-11-10 12:44

    OK - you were clear enough when I reread knowing what you meant. Sorry I was on the wrong track. I'll take a look in my book and get back to you. gg

  4. #4g_man2018-11-10 13:36

    It sounds like your's is way different from mine. I thought they were the same. The bolt that is up near the top of my sprocket with the big jam nut and runs into the rear main frame pushes directly on the brake backup shoe. Turn the bolt tighten the brake. There are no other parts involved. But maybe I have it wrong again ?? I am talking about this bolt

  5. #5Mannie2018-11-10 13:40

    You to think that I know more of all these ! ‍♂️

  6. #6imdanl2018-11-10 15:29

    That actually is a possibility. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong bolt entirely.

  7. #7imdanl2018-11-10 15:35

    I just checked looks like it was just buried under some debris. Thank you for taking the time to post that picture!

  8. #8g_man2018-11-10 16:03

    Glad to help - that little place always get packed with dirt. If you don't know where to dig you will never find it. Can't even see the bolt with the track and sprocket off gg