Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TD7E Foot Brake

Benjamin Herd ยท 2018-06-01 20:30

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I just purchased a mid 80's with 3,500 hours. Everything seems to be in good shape and in working order except for the foot brake. It's not really a big deal at all but with all the rain and down time I was wanting to get it working. The steering clutches and brakes are working good. I took the floor panels up and adjusted the linkage thinking the pedal may be going to far down. All it done was raised the stopping point of the pedal. When you just rest your foot on the pedal and pull the steering brakes back, with the little pressure of my foot against the pedal the pedal will go down. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you Ben

Replies9
  1. #1g_man2018-06-02 07:06

    The steering brakes hydraulic push on the same lever as the foot pedal. So the pedal will go down easy when you steer. gg

  2. #2Benjamin Herd2018-06-02 09:30

    Where do I need to adjust the foot pedal at to get the brakes to apply with it. They apply when I pull the steering brakes back

  3. #3g_man2018-06-02 12:14

    Your Welcome. Under the floor boards there is adjustment turn buckle just ahead of where the brake rod goes into the rear. Also look a couple threads down on TD7E by TrivitsPoultny. More info there. gg

  4. #4Benjamin Herd2018-06-02 13:13

    Thank you g man. I adjusted the turn buckle and it just raised the pedal up. Still no brakes on the pedal but have steering brakes

  5. #5g_man2018-06-02 16:48

    You will have to get into the top of the rear main frame (Where the brake rod goes) and see what is broken. Take out the seat and seat platform and top of rear main frame. This is what is under the cover on one side. The brake rod 5 pulls on the actuator bar 3 which pivots on the other end at 2. The actuator bar pulls on the equalizer bar 1 via the linkage in the center. The ears on the ends of the equalizer bar catch the brake lever 6 and rotate it to apply the foot brake. The steering hydraulic cylinder 18 can also push on the brake lever to apply the steering brake on one side. Check the rod connection, the pivot point 2, the center linkage, and the ears at the end of the equalizer bar. Any one of those will kill your foot break. There are also some guides in the cover and on the base plate. Good luck. gg

  6. #6Benjamin Herd2018-06-02 16:50

    Awesome explanation g man!!! Thank you!!! I will check it out... Thank you again

  7. #7Benjamin Herd2018-06-02 17:15

    One more question g man, what hy Tran oil do you recommend for the transmission?

  8. #8g_man2018-06-03 06:56

    I use 10 WT Power Shift Fluid made by Kendall because I can get it easily here. I am no oil expert but I think any 10 WT Hydraulic/Transmission fluid made for wet clutches and brakes by a reputable manufacture will be fine. It is just a simple mechanical transmission not a modern hi-tech Hydrostatic transmission. A lot of those Hy-Tran fluids don't list a viscosity and a multi-viscosity fluids like Shell Rotella would probably be fine especially where you are in the south but I try to use a straight 10 WT because that is what is speced in the manual and I am up where it gets cold. gg

  9. #9Benjamin Herd2018-06-03 08:50

    Thank you for all your help g man! I'll let you know how the foot brake issue is going when I get in the rear.