Got a chance to spend a few hours pioneering a road in through some woods this weekend with my new to me TD7G. One of the problems I was having is when going into reverse it not stopping securely in R1 - way too easy to put it in R2 or R3 and the sudden surprise of going back a whole lot quicker than intended! My question is how the detent works in the shifting valve, and is there a way to make them tighter? Forward seems to stop in each position ok but reverse is pretty loose. I was thinking of just making me a mechanical lockout with a piece of metal, threaded hole and a screw knob to lock it down and block 2 or 3. If it is something somewhat easy to fix on the valve I could possible do that as well. Anyone familiar with this?
The detent is inside the Pilot Control Valve. (The valve spool connected to the shift lever) There is a detent housing on the back of the valve that contains a couple balls and a detent cam. Same ones used for forward and rev. Maybe cam is worn where it rotates to reverse ??? Here is an assembly view.
Thanks G_man - I guess rebuilding the control valve is in my future. Do your parts local or from an online vendor? I still might make a manual lockout so when I teach my brother-in-law he doesn't screw up as badly as I expect
Seems strange it would act like that. Maybe it is crudded up and the balls aren't free as they should be. So far I have gotten parts from the local Komatsu shop. It said in the book if you unscrew the detent housing (14) make sure you push inward against the spring as you turn so it won't fly apart when the thread disengages.