Hello to everyone, First of all I am new to the forum and live in South Central Kentucky. This is a great forum and has a wealth of info. Now to to my question. I am looking at a 1981 TD8E Ser # 9502. The unit is really in good shape for its age. The problem is 3rd gear is out of it in forward and reverse. I have talked to two mechanics and they both have told me that it won't hurt anything that most people block 3rd out anyway. They said more than likely someone has tried to shove something heavy in 3rd and burnt the clutches up. We pulled the inline screen and cleaned it. The unit runs and has lots of power and good clutch pressure. I would like to get your alls opinion on this before I purchase the unit. Also does anyone have a guess as to the cost of this kind of repair? TIA and have a great day. Leonard
I have a TD7E with the same situation ( no 3rd gear ) it has not worked for years and has never pushed in 3rd and had little use in 3rd since new 1985.
I have a TD7C, same problem as well, 2nd aint all that great either. But I only push in 1st anyway.
Thanks to both for the info. Have a great day.
Cannedman, Let me know what you decide to do. I am also toying with the notion of tearing into the transmission clutches and seeing if I can replace them if that is indeed the problem with my machine as well. From the parts diagram it looks like a heck of a project, but would be cheaper than a new transmission. Thanks! Zack
Zack, I have a owners, service and parts manual ordered. When they come in I will make my decision and I will let you know. Have a great day.