Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Td8e repower

Mioutlaw24 ยท 2016-02-25 19:28

Hi I have a td8e with the IH dt239 that threw a rod through the block looking at doing a 4bt Cummins swap but don't know what I'll need to hook the Cummins to my trans and torque converter housing please help

Replies10
  1. #1Willie B2016-02-25 19:50

    I don't know about the interface of torque converter to engine. Will this come from a donor machine? I have a TD7G with the engine. Mounted to the upper corners of the torque converter are two hydraulic pumps. One runs the transmission, I presume the other is the blade. Whether the pumps drive from the torque converter, I don't know. It's a great engine, I have two, one in a backhoe.

  2. #2Mioutlaw242016-02-25 20:16

    Bassicly where I can get one I'm just wondering if there's an adapter I need or not I got the dozer for less then scrap value so I wanna repower it cuz its in good shape

  3. #3indyandy2016-02-27 22:11

    Check out the Red Power forum. The folks over there will help you out. Keep us posted.

  4. #4Mioutlaw242016-02-28 17:42

    I will and ill have some dt239 engine parts for sale

  5. #5Andrew_D2016-02-28 21:56

    A quick check shows the TD8e at 75hp, 2300rpm. A search on the 4BT Cummins, shows anywhere from 55-155 hp, 2300rpm, depending on setup. I'd be careful that the donor engine isn't in the 155hp range, or the driveline may not take it. Andrew

  6. #6Willie B2016-02-29 07:15

    Mine in a Case 580K & in a Dresser TD7G are both rated at 70 HP naturally aspirated. A company known as Legacy Power Wagons refurbishes the old style Dodge Power Wagons with this engine, They claim 70 HP with turbo. I have no understanding if these engines are changed for more HP, or just turbo, valves, compression, rpm, or turning up the injector pump. The IH engine original to your tractor was a fine engine. Is it not available? Willie

  7. #7Mioutlaw242016-02-29 07:27

    I can not find a block my block is shot due to the rod coming through it i have found a block for 600 a new crank for 800 still have to rebuild it

  8. #8Iron@Dirt2016-02-29 20:58

    The d 239 was a good engine but the cummins engine will have easier parts availability. I like the cummins in our d39 and I would go with that one.

  9. #9caterpillar132016-02-29 22:58

    why dont you just find a motor out of an ag tractor like a 674 or 684

  10. #10Mioutlaw242016-03-01 08:04

    Farmall tractors in mi are a dime a dozzen and the old ih motors are going for 3500 and up needing rebuilt in mi but i got a 4b on its way for 900 needing rebuilt see the price diffrence id rather but an ih engine in it but i need the dozzer back asap not hunting engine parts for a yr