Looking for any input, have a dresser dozer 1991 with a 4bt cummins. Was clearing a bottom land for my grandpa running great. Blown exhaust manifold gasket was the first thing to develop. So went to tram to my garage about 700 yards away develop a miss running rough idle down engine & then completely died. Looked it over & the push rod access cover is pushed out away from motor & leaking oil. So I am assuming bent pushrods & also now I believe oil has antifreeze in it. Oil is over full & radiator is low. I don't know what to look for or even where to start. Hate not to fix it or try to atleast, it's a great dozer has been in the family since bought new. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Brandon
Anything's fixable, and that should be an easy motor to replace with a used one if it comes to that. I've never seen anything like that, and can't imagine how it happened, maybe somebody else has seen it happen. I guess the first step is to loosen the oil pan drain plug until something seeps by the threads, if it's green drain all the oil out because the glycol makes gunk when mixed with oil. If you want to try to start it to get back to the garage, then drain the radiator and fill it back up with water. I wouldn't worry too much about not stopping it right away, the blown exhaust was a symptom of whatever caused the other problems, IMHO.
Thanks Delmer, like I said any input is greatly appreciated. I'm by far not a diesel mechanic & looking for any suggestions. I can do the basics to keep them running but this maybe over my head. LOL
Just an update, the pushrod access panel is pushed away from the block so I am assuming bent pushrods, I believe antifreeze is in the oil cause coolant is now low & oil is over filled.Try to crank engine over just a few minutes ago & it will not crank over. Can all this start from a blown exhaust manifold gasket? It's a 1991 4bt ran great, oil pressure was good, also wasn't running hot.