Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TD8G died today

Rooster75 ยท 2015-09-08 21:10

I was letting my dozer cool down at high idle after running for couple of hours today. Had a message on my phone so I walked away & got in dump truck so listen. Maybe ran for couple minutes when I got out it was shut off. It turns over freely,got plenty of fuel. I took oil filler cap off, while turning over pressure comes out the filler tube. Got a not so good feelin in my belly but what do ya'll think,motor rebuild?

Replies17
  1. #1CDUB2015-09-08 21:41

    I wouldn't think rebuild yet. You may miss a cheaper fix. Do you have fuel at the injectors? Crack an injector line and turn it over.

  2. #2CDUB2015-09-08 21:43

    I missed the part about pressure in the oil fill tube. How much pressure?

  3. #3Rooster752015-09-08 22:01

    A lot more than I've noticed before. I just held my hand over the tube to on a whim.

  4. #4Scrub Puller2015-09-08 23:12

    Yair . . . Rooster75. As CDUB says I think you have a ways to go to diagnose the problem. As mentioned the first thing to ascertain is that you have fuel to the injectors. You mention it still rolls over freely so it seems there has been no catastrophic failure and seizure . . . it does have compression? To stop that quickly from high idle (in my experience) it has to be some thing like a broken camshaft or stripped key-way/broken drive to injector pump . . . or just plain lack of fuel. The excessive blowby COULD be a completely separate issue in as much as it should not normally cause an engine to stop abruptly. Please update and keep us posted and best of luck with it. Cheers.

  5. #5g_man2015-09-09 07:05

    You have a 12 volt fuel solenoid hidden under the injection pump. Opens with 12 V when you flip up the run switch. Check the wiring and voltage. That would be the simplest problem other than a clogged fuel line or tank outlet.

  6. #6Rooster752015-09-09 08:52

    Thanks guys. I'm no engine mechanic but as far as I can tell there is no compression what so ever. Gonna try to get to my mechanics shop next couple of days to further diagnose. If I had been standing close by I might've heard a noise of some sort but walked around the truck to it shut off.

  7. #7Scrub Puller2015-09-09 18:02

    Yair . . . Rooster75. So it went from high idle to "no compression what so ever" in a few minutes and still rolls over freely? As I said in post #5 please keep us posted. Cheers

  8. #8Rooster752015-09-09 21:43

    Yes that is correct. We are gonna do some compression testing this weekend & maybe that'll tell us something.

  9. #9zbo22015-09-09 23:14

    ]Pull the rocker covers and make sure the valves are working.... could be as scrub said... broken camshaft or keyway... ask me how I know...lol

  10. #10lantraxco2015-09-09 23:30

    No fuel and no compression are a lot alike, diesels have so much energy in compressing the air that the air returns power to the pistons on the way back down. That's the reason the Jake brakes open the exhaust valves near the top of the stroke. Hold your hand on the end of the exhaust and have someone crank it over. If it doesn't pop your hand off the end of the muffler/pipe, than you probably lost the cam rotation. Next step would be to pull the valve cover if it looks that way, see if the valves are moving. By the way, my Dad taught me on the old Detroits to pull the fuel shutoff when starting them, get them rolling on the starter and then shove the fuel shutoff back in. It's amazing how much easier they'll turn over on weak batteries with no fuel in the cylinders and less drag on the cam from the injectors.

  11. #11Rooster752015-09-10 18:10

    Pulled the rocker covers & nothin goin on there with motor turnin over. Couldn't take timing cover all the way off but pried it open to try to see gears but couldn't look & hit starter at same time. You guys may be onto something with broke key way or shaft. More to come. Thanks

  12. #12Scrub Puller2015-09-10 19:12

    Yair . . . Gotcha Rooster75 Please do keep us posted, not good though and your gut feeling of a major teardown seem likely . . . hopefully no major damage. zbo2 What's the story on that one mate, not a pretty picture and you would have lost the sound real quick? I'm surprised at the colour of the break. Cheers.

  13. #13zbo22015-09-11 00:00

    here ya go Scrub...... HeavyEquipmentForums

  14. #14Scrub Puller2015-09-11 03:17

    Yair . . . Gotcha zbo2. Thanks for the back link . . . that was quite a saga. Cheers

  15. #15Rooster752015-09-18 16:50

    Zb02 mine looks a lot like the pieces you got pictures of. Camshaft broke & bearings are shot. Not smart enough yet to attach pictures but I'm working on it. That's all we've got so far but I'm sure there's more to the story.

  16. #16Rooster752015-10-07 20:39

    Should have motor back hopefully next week. It turned into much more than just broken cam. It has to be bored & also head was cracked. They are having trouble locating a cam but felt confident they could get one in next couple of days.

  17. #17zbo22015-10-07 23:51

    I ended up doing the same thing...... had the head rebuilt and did the rings and bearings. put it back in last week but I haven't been able to get the radiator and coolers back on because of the storms we had here. I did start it up for about 30 seconds and 70psi oil pressure at idle and purred like a kitten. Pictures are actually pretty easy on this site...