Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TD8G need help,advice or a drink

Rooster75 ยท 2012-01-10 20:11

TD8G, spreading base rock in 2nd gear decell and go to 2nd reverse, backs up few feet and that's it. Removed suction filter and cleaned then replaced still nothing. Drained oil, removed transmission pump, had it checked out ,it passed test 91% good they say. Replaced $400 worth of suction hoses. Then after all that still nothing, no oil out pressure side of pump. MY mechanic & I bypassed all hoses,fittings and filter by putting a suction hose in full 5 gallon bucket of oil. After wide open for several minutes bucket still full. Took pump back off, returned it to hydraulic shop that built it for 1 year ago and they still say it's good, for $200 they are gonna tear it down and inspect it. Is there someting we're missing or could it be the pump that checks good. Oh and my mechanic is 75 years old and ran his own heavy equipment shop for 40 years, he's probably very knowledgable, he says it has to be pump. Open for suggestions. Thanks.

Replies16
  1. #1norite2012-01-10 20:34

    Are you sure the pump is turning? Possibly a sheared off drive shaft?

  2. #2Rooster752012-01-10 21:15

    Sorry forgot to mention we checked that too. With pump off we cranked it up to watch gears turn at low idle then at high rpm's. Thanks for reply though Norite. Any other questions or advice welcome.

  3. #3sheepfoot2012-01-10 21:46

    I think it's a pump issue, they may have a high feed tank that they use when they check pumps on there test bench, your pump may not suck well enough to pump, have also seen flex plate bolts out that would turn the torq and gears but the smallest load would stop it, never been in a 8e just a thought.

  4. #4Rooster752012-01-11 19:28

    Sheepfoot I replaced pump about one year ago and just so happened I kept the original pump that was on the machine. I took the main shaft out of old pump stuck it in ansd checked for slack or play in gear and everything is very tight. Then I cranked motor and with the biggest channel locks I got I tried to hold shaft from turning at idle with no luck. I'm with you on the pump being bad, now just trying to get the shop that built it for me to see that. Thanks for reply. I'll post when I hear from shop with their diagnoses.

  5. #5GOOD MEDICINE2012-01-23 23:44

    Help Hey i have td8e sounds like i got same prob. Pushing small trees over and line from pilot control blows on bottom dumping hyd fluid. Relace line and case/ih hy-tran fluid....ran fine for hours then quit pulling in forward and reverse 1&2. Fine in 3. Replace pressure filter and cleaned strainer, no better. Guy ran pressure test on top of trans at 3 test ports and said speed clutch bleeding by in trans. Too coincidental... Any thoughts before i pull trans

  6. #6Durt2012-01-25 10:58

    never ever put hy-tran fluid in an International series 3 10w oil only .. if you have clutch pressure you should do a torque stall on the machine to check transmission. If it wont go into gear it could be the mod valve or range control valve.

  7. #7GOOD MEDICINE2012-01-25 11:07

    Any idea what the charge pump pressure should be on that td8e with long trans

  8. #8Durt2012-01-25 11:46

    between 150-175psi

  9. #9GOOD MEDICINE2012-01-25 14:27

    Thanks; im runnin bout 150 drops to 100 in 1,2,3. Bout 50 on converter. Too low??

  10. #10Durt2012-01-25 14:40

    Td8e Main pressurecan be boosted by adding a shim to the main pressure spring.. old school testing would be doing a torque stall at operating temperatures. if the driveshaft spins with the brakes locked on in gear at full throttle...your transmission is slipping... the drop in pressure is caused by internal seal leakage..I can get you a full service manual or a copy... www.cpecanada.com Durt

  11. #11GOOD MEDICINE2012-01-25 16:01

    I sure appreciate ur help!! This tractor been on the farm for a long time problem free... The shaft spins at fuul throttle in 1&2.. 3 will stall it. Kinda crazy tho, we ran it for about 10 hrs the other day no prob.. Wouldnt move 2 days before that.. Jus changed filter. Is there anything im missing??? Relief valve or something sticking??? When it does magically work you can push anything you want

  12. #12Durt2012-01-25 16:49

    More than likely it is a sticky spool in the range selector valve..neutral spool stuck in extreme inward position. Remove the valve and clean and replace.

  13. #13GOOD MEDICINE2012-01-25 20:53

    Thanks again durt. I pulled pump and range selector..... Ill let ya know the outcome when i get it back together

  14. #14Rooster752012-01-27 20:54

    Hey guys sorry took so long to get back on forum, we got the dozer put back together yesterday. After spending $1500 on hoses,new filters,suction filter housing we returned pump for third time. They still said pump good,so I took it to another shop,they tore it down and told me problem in about 30 minutes. When pump was built 2 years ago it was built wrong, instead of putting solid spacer between the gears they put a ported one. When oil level in trans dropped it sucked air and never would pick oil up. The original shop fixed it no charge but weren't intrested in all the money I spent. The manager said next time I bring a pump to a shop I need to clearly explain how the pump system works,thought they were pump techs not me. I would think you would build the new pump just like the old one they tore down. Thanks guys for listening to my rant.

  15. #15sheepfoot2012-01-28 22:02

    Rooster75 , glad you found the problem with the pump, that is a fluke that it worked for years, then quit to find it not setup correct.

  16. #16GOOD MEDICINE2012-04-03 23:04

    hey just to let ya know it was the range selector!!!!!