Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tdc

furbis ยท 2014-07-11 14:57

How do I find TDC on a john deere 4.5 L engine? I am going to pull the injector pump and get it rebuilt but from what I understand I need to set the engine to TDC so the pump is timed right when I put it back in.

Replies2
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-07-11 18:18

    Above the turning tool hole in the flywheel housing is a small hole to put a 5/16" bolt or dowl into. Hold in on the bolt and slowly rotate the engine by hand until you feel it drop in the hole another 3/8" or so. At this point you are at TDC but could be on compression or exhaust stroke. If you can get the valve cover off check the rockers on #1 if they are both loose you are good to go. If the exh valve is tight you need to pull the pin and go 1 more turn. If you have a DB4 pump with a little window held on by 2 screws you can pull the cover and a very light scribed line will appear at #1 TDC comp only.

  2. #2furbis2014-07-12 00:38

    Awesome thanks