Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Technique/operation questions. Also tracking issues.

fastline ยท 2021-01-29 02:04

Still just cannot quite "get the feel" on this 322C cat. I don't run them much anymore but really not sure what I am missing just yet, and about to throw a more active operator in it to get their thoughts. I recently worked a few hours on a small drainage job. Pretty minor deal opening an existing channel by about a foot, which required swing plus arm function. Because all the work I have done with it has been very minor, precision type work, I usually run at throttle position 4-5. Probably my my stupidity at this point, but I did not take my engine to full RPM when I was fighting it a bit. Do you guys typically need full RPM to get things to run out proper? Don't get me wrong, she is smooth, but seems I might be taxing the hydraulics so if I was curling the bucket a bit when swinging, when I stopped curling, the swing took off a bit. I was just trying to conserve a little fuel. Also, one of the more frustrating things but apparently the machine has had a tracking isssue where I believe left outruns the right. What did Cat do? They added play to the right pedal to try to limit how fast it would go..... It jacks with me big time trying to do smaller 'straight' jogs. I have to think about that stupid pedal.

Replies4
  1. #1uffex2021-01-29 03:30

    Good day Fastline Attached is a check list that may help resolving your crawler issue. kind regards Uffex

  2. #2John C.2021-01-30 17:08

    All excavator pumps now days are designed to run at over half throttle. Small engine and large pump capacity will put the engine running below the optimal torque capacity. Cats C models don't have any load sensing capacity with the throttle until it is set at 10 or full. You get a programmed flow at anything below the 10 setting.

  3. #3fastline2021-01-30 17:21

    John, if I understand you right, the pumps would provide a fixed volume output (no pump stroke optimizing) unless you run at full rpm? Could anyone speak more to the tracking issue and some methods of how to sort this out? Of course people want to go right to a pump issue, but I am not convinced yet that this is the case only because it seems to have plenty of power and speed otherwise. It's not like it tracks in a circle or anything. I had the thought to test supply pressure to each track motor and check motor case drain rates. I am not sure if there is such thing as a 'minor' swivel issue, but it would seem like something not to rule out?

  4. #4Tones2021-01-30 18:51

    Track drive; yes to checking the casedrain which will determine if the motor is worn. Compare it to the other side. If that checks out then pressure test the inflow to the motor prior to the swivel, the motor will need to be stalled, a lump of steel jammed in the sprocket will do.