Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Telehandler having less power in the cold weather.

KeithKirkwold ยท 2014-12-15 15:26

I have a 2005 Gehl RS6 42 I bought this past spring. It had a problem shortly after I had bought it with overheating. I had radiator cleaned and replaced coolant and it worked like normal after that. This winter I have been using it some. It seems like the hydraulics are causing it to have much less power. Im sure It needs a tank heater for hydraulic fluid. It maybe has one that isn't working. I haven't really looked for it yet. I drove it to another job today and it struggled to get up to speed and would start to overheat until it the engine would be at high enough rpms to cool it back down. Wondering if hydraulics would be causing my problems.

Replies6
  1. #1maddog2014-12-15 16:25

    How does it act once it's warmed up? Might be to heavy hydraulic oil?

  2. #2KeithKirkwold2014-12-15 16:31

    Engine seems fine running. When you work the hydraulics too quick it will dog down. Or when you you drive it in higher speeds.

  3. #3Svaby2014-12-22 00:00

    How's your hydraulic filter ?

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2014-12-22 00:11

    I would check to see if you have the proper oil for winter operation, and change the hydraulic oil filter as well. Sounds like too much restriction.

  5. #5Nige2014-12-22 07:04

    I agree with others that it might well be that your hydraulic oil is too heavy. However it also might be an idea to check that the engine actually has a thermostat fitted ......... that will help with warmup in cold ambient temperatures.

  6. #6salman4970052015-02-05 14:00

    well i suppose your experience of having it work normal after cleaning the radiator and changing the coolant does not make sense in this regard. anyway, oil thickness, condition of filter, may b considered besides check if the hydraulic pressure relief valve adjustment.