Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

telescopic cylinders

gwhammy ยท 2023-01-25 17:02

I have a pair of hoist cylinders with two telescopes on them. They came off of a mid 60's two ton grain bed. I was thinking about rebuilding them but see no way to take them apart. Is there a chance you would have to cut the bottom off and bring the cylinders out that way. I pulled the screw on cover and wiper seal off and there is a steel ring that looks like its part of the cylinder under the dirt wiper seal. I did air pressure one of them and had no leaks so they might be ok. Might hook up a 12 volt pump and put real pressure to them before making all the brackets to mount them.

Replies1
  1. #1BillG2023-01-25 17:52

    Pictures help as there are different designs. That said if it's like many of them if you take out the wiper (outer most seal) you will see a brass adjustment ring. Look closely and you will see some small holes in the face, it takes a special spanner to remove them. By the way the spanners get quite costly if this is the design you have.