Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Telescoping Boom Attachment

Kiteman ยท 2012-04-12 23:31

I'm looking to buy a 12' telescoping boom for my Lull telehandler. Prices vary from low $700's for the Vestril Liftmaster 4000/1750# capacity to $1550 for the Star 1340 4000/1650#. Other brands in between would be Contrx 4000/1949# or Caldwell FB-40 4000/1500#. I can't seem to find any reviews on any of them. I don't want to overspend but I don't want to end up with a piece of junk either. Any opinions/advice would be appreciated. There are a lot of vendors and a lot of variability in prices, shipping costs and delivery times. Have any of you actually contacted JLG/Lull or any other brand to get an approval for these attachments? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1icestationzebra2012-04-13 03:08

    I have only been on the OEM side of the equation and not very active with the customers, but I don't know of any occasion where the ones I worked for "approved" another vendor's attachment. Too much liability plus you would have to supply a new capacity chart. This is especial true in this case since JLG/Lull/Sky Trak sells jibs and they want you to buy theirs, even if it isn't exactly what you want. I will be curious to see what others with "OSHA experience" have to say, but unfortunately this is a big gray area that has been going on for many years. ISZ

  2. #2Kiteman2012-04-13 03:30

    That's kinda my gut feeling about that, too. Lots of people have them, but I doubt if the attachment has been "cleared".

  3. #3Aero Lift2012-04-13 06:40

    We are a fleet (75 units) owner of SkyTrak forklifts. We lease them out, often with attachments. Some of the attachments are SkyTrak branded, some are Star Industries. I understand ISZ's position. We have not experienced an OSHA inpection that resulted in a rejection of an attachment that had mfg's stickers on it. In the case of an accident, I'm sure JLG would argue the attachment was not approved. That burden would be borne by Star Industries. In any case, we have discontinued the use of "Home made" or "shop built" attachments. You can PM me if you'd like pricing on new or used jibs.