Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tell me about the machines you like in the 22-25 ton range!

whitemike ยท 2016-07-30 20:18

I am needing to update my excavator. Been running a SK160 Kobelco for years and it's a good machine,cab alittle small. I am close to all major brands as far as parts and service. Tell me about the Case ex210c, Kobelco Sk210, Cat 320, Hitachi/deere, Volvo, Komatsu, etc. in this size range that you own and operate. I like speed and agility, with enough power to get job done but not to much hp that just sucks up fuel. What machine out there that has it figured out? I am open for a used machine with a 1000 hours or so, which knocks off about 25% from new. Would you stay away from buying a previously leased machine? Tell me about your machine's and what you may have done differntly!

Replies11
  1. #1Shimmy12016-07-30 20:47

    I don't believe there is a machine that runs cheaper than the Case/Link Belt. The particulate filter is kind of annoying; I don't like to interrupt the cycle, and it always seems like it's doing it at an inopportune time. Like lunchtime or quitting time. Other than that, I really like the machine. Fast, well-balanced, comfortable cab, I could list more. Digging hard, in SP mode, it will go two 10-hour days on a tank of fuel. I have gotten 40 hours out of a tank running in Auto mode. I have 1450 hours on it, and haven't had to do a stationary re-gen yet.

  2. #2390eric2016-07-31 00:38

    I had a kobelco 210 at a previous job. The problem with it was the boss sent it on a job that it was either too big for or too small for. Seems perfect for digging foundations or loading a small amount of dirt in trucks. Just general work. Too small to dig and stone a 20 foot piece of pipe But overall a good hoe and I'm sure going from a 160 to a 210 u will love it. It's a lot more balanced than a 160/170. We had one of those and it was so light in the rear it sucked to run always bouncing and tipping

  3. #3clintm2016-07-31 08:15

    I second the case/linkbelt

  4. #4whitemike2016-07-31 09:03

    Thanks for replies so far. Most of my work is clearing old log decks for food-plots, building throw roads, installing culverts, installing pond siphon systems, knocking off **** of woods so pivots can make circles, etc. I stay busy in a 15 mile radius from home where jobs are from 2 days- 2 months, so loading and hauling this size machine is easier. Let me study these cases because its leading our pack so far.

  5. #5clintm2016-07-31 09:44

    The case / link belt is made by sumitomo from the case C series /linkbelt X3 they are the same except for the color.

  6. #6rmllarue912016-07-31 12:26

    Hey Mike here's my two cents. excavator under 5000 hrs shouldnt really have major issues unless you get a lemon and being a small company abuse shouldn't be an issue I think any brands listed should do the job. It's later in life of machines I draw my experience I only get to see a machine when it needs work. Early 2000 case parts can be hard to get example cx290 final drive main bearings and seals are only parts available from case or a reman final drive for 15000 dollars. Even pins and bushings took weeks Komatsu of same Era can get the parts but you might wait and they are probably the most expensive parts. Cat and john/Hitachi are easy to get parts and information on. And Doosan Wasnt to impressed them egr valve fell off engine at 5000 hrs dealer couldn't give any idea when the could get one said there wasn't any. Dealer ended up taking one off a new excavator at lot. No idea how long it took them to get a new one.

  7. #7whitemike2016-08-01 07:08

    rmllarue91 , Guy after checking prices on these new machines, i may have to lower my expectations. If you were to go out and purchase yourself a machine in this size class, what would be your ideal buy ( hour and brand wise)?

  8. #8BigIronGuy2016-08-01 20:36

    Mike, I'm going to badger you with a few questions, but I believe I will be able to offer some direction once answered. 1) how long will you typically run a machine before selling/getting rid of it? 2) what is your level of comfort with maintaining/repairing a machine? 3) is your business better suited with a fixed monthly cost that you can manage easily in your bid process with no surprises, or in a cash flow environment that where maintenance costs can vary month to month? 4) How many hours do you typically run in a year?

  9. #9whitemike2016-08-05 18:25

    I still own about every machine i ever bought, including a complete logging operation. I have keep it all repaired in woods, my guys and myself. I have looked into the used market since last post and i had rather buy a used under 5000 hour machine, straight-out and save a good 3rd compared to new. My Kobelco hasn't dissapointed and is still working everyday( i got a rotary mulcher head also that i want to leave on it) but i know i need to upgrade and get a little larger machine. I just wanted to hear from folks about their machines and how each holds up. As for yearly hours, that would be a guess because some jobs calls for a dozer only and my excavator may sit a week here and there plus hour meter broke at 11,000. I bought it used and ran it 7 years so far. I wanted to hear guys brag about their brands and also what lemons to stay away from. I leaning toward aKobelco SK210 or a CAT 320c but thats not in stone. Some guys spoke well about the case's. I really don't even know what they cost brand new, do you have an idea? I watch the auctions on used ones.

  10. #10BigIronGuy2016-08-05 19:04

    Ok, so a well maintained SK210 sounds like a great solution for you. Their resale values are considerably lower, however, if you're going to keep it forever, who cares? These machines are severely undervalued and probably the best option as far as machine for the money. Big roomy cab, plenty of power, fuel efficient, tier 3, and the right price! Spend a few extra bucks if necessary to get one with solid history and properly maintained, it will be worth it in the long run. The parts support is much stronger than it has ever been and at a reasonable cost. The other beauty is that she's easy to self maintain as it is still tier 3 and a relatively common sense design. As a long life production machine I think the durability out performs Case or Linkbelt in most applications and the price is far more attractive than CAT or Komatsu. If you need help locating a good one, I have a few friends in the Kobelco business and could be of service. Let me know if you have any other questions or scenarios to consider, but I like the Kobelco from what I'm reading.

  11. #11CM19952016-08-05 20:03

    I'm a Cat guy and make no bones about it, the brand has served me well and I have a great relationship with the dealer. Over the years I've owned 2 315CL's, 321CLCR, 325DL and currently have a 321DLCR. They have all been great hoes with minimal problems. My favorite was the 325DL, perfect balance of power and weight but more difficult to move. I bought our current 321DLCR from my dealer, it was in their rental fleet with 1700 hours on the clock at purchase. 3 years later and it's clicked past 4K and still going strong. The only major issue it's had was the duo cone seals went out in a drive motor. Fortunately it was still under the power train warranty and both duo cone seals were replaced by Cat. The dealer went to bat for me and got Cat to pay for a rental machine while it was down as parts were on backorder. The ordeal is in my thread A few projects I've done recently. The purchase price of the machine was 75% of a new one and we RPO'd it for 6 months with 90% of the monthly rental going towards purchase price. 3 years later the balance owed is 25% of the cost of a new one and it's producing every day. Still going strong doing a little demo of a metal building that used to be a tire store. Equipment purchases are an individual thing as every business is different, your milage may vary.