Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tell Me About Your Backhoe

wickedmachinist ยท 2017-02-02 16:31

Hello, I am new to the community, and have just started researching different models to purchase. I plan to use it for digging trenches. I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on what model of backhoe you own, and what you use it for. What features did you like or did not like about the one you own? Are there any common problems I should be aware of about before purchasing?

Replies9
  1. #1jimg9842017-02-03 18:12

    Are there any common problems I should be aware of about before purchasing? repair expensive

  2. #2Willie B2017-02-03 19:30

    I'm an electrician. Conduit comes in ten foot sections. With extend a hoe I put a length on and refill the ditch before moving the tractor. My theory is a 3' wide ditch is less work to repair the lawn than a 15 foot disruption. The less I move the machine, the less I damage the ground surrounding the ditch. I have a large number of 275 gallon oil tanks cut in half. Each corner, and the bottom center have short chains welded to them. I arrange them each side of ditch. I put spoils in them. Refilling, I use chains to lift them over the ditch, unhook two corners, and dump them into the ditch. There is no such thing as too big a backhoe. Four wheel drive is a treasure. I like torque converter much better than gear drive. A gear tractor filling the front bucket tends to dig holes with the tires. If it is older, John Deere has the best hydraulic design. It makes for smooth operation. A cab keeps your space out of the weather. Do get glass cleaner. Run it 1/2 hour at 1500 RPM before buying. Park it for 1/2 hour. Move it, and look for oil on the ground.

  3. #3hammertime2017-02-03 20:58

    [/QUOTE]Run it 1/2 hour at 1500 RPM before buying. Park it for 1/2 hour. Move it, and look for oil on the ground.[/QUOTE] This is why you rent. more headache than its worth. Unless your using it weekly

  4. #4hosspuller2017-02-05 01:05

    First is this a machine to putter around with or make a living with? A machine to support you and a family requires reliability. Customers won't wait for you to get a broken machine fixed when their project is held up. Second: Rubber deteriorates. The older a machine is, the more hoses and cylinder seals will need replacing. Unless you like working on an old machine ( I do ) buy the newest machine possible. Third: Consider service and parts availability for the machine.

  5. #5Planedriver2017-02-05 01:18

    Tell more... If you are digging trenches maybe a trencher would be best? (sorry I couldn't resist) What else are you planning to do? Are you asking about a full size or a small backhoe? What are your typical working conditions. Hosspuller and hammertime have listed some important considerations for any machine but to go any further it would be helpful to know more about its intended jobs. Repair expensive?....... Yep.

  6. #6hosspuller2017-02-05 17:31

    LOL ... repair expensive ?? Sure is... But I do enjoy working on the backhoe. I have the luxury of time. Several days of downtime are just days to do something else. My projects are just for my own enjoyment. (one doesn't know heavy equipment until they've operated a wood handled shovel for a day) Several reasons I bought a Deere was parts availability and service/repair manuals. Deere manuals are pricey but available. One dealer on site service call will cover the cost of the manuals.

  7. #7CM19952017-02-05 18:01

    As others have said we need more info. Is this machine for personal use or to make $$? What kind of trenches are you going to be digging and what will the trenches be for? What is the backfill method? Spoils from the trench, stone, compaction, etc? Will you just be digging trenches or will you need the loader end of the backhoe? A lot of variables.

  8. #8Hysert2017-02-06 20:09

    OP... we run a Kubota M59 TLB... 12 foot dig depth, 7 foot wide, 60hp, loads Tri-axles, lifts 3800#, has creep to reposition while running backhoe, remove hoe in 3 mins to use 3PTH and PTO, skidsteer quick coupler out front! Weighs in around 8600#

  9. #9oilslick2017-02-08 22:55

    I have found caterpillar parts to be very expensive. Seems like deere are the least expensive but could be wrong. Leaks are a bitch. My 22k cat 426c leaks a little bit of everything and a lot of something.