Boom rubbing on stabilizer feet Tell me why my Deere 310D had paint scraped off of the boom sides from rubbing on the stabilizer feet (I've seen other 310Ds with the very same scratches) but all other models don't have these scratches. All modern backhoes have stabilized legs angled back. What is different?
Post a pic, I'm having trouble seeing this.
Mitch504, Look at the centre of the photo for the scratches where to stabilizer feet have contacted the boom side. Of coarse this only happens when working the boom with the stabilizers up. Not a common practice but I have never seen these marks on other brands and even other Deere models. Is it not possible on any other model? I just repainted my machine so I will need to pay attention to this.
hmmmm, looks like that could only happen when moving the boom up and down with the stabilizers up, or digging real deep at that same angle. Most of them I've run would interfere with the stabilizers in some way. The 580sK I have now, the boom will swing all the way to the side, behind the stabilizer, if you just move the stick out slightly.
When your working alongside of a road and your ditchin (cleaning weeds from ditches) your not digginig deep but the hoe reach is far with a ditching bucket and the lower part of the boom in most cases in lying on the ground .Rememer the machine is being run in an almost 90 degree angle
Just some quick advice bill, if the work you perform is not to trechorous maybe make smaller stabilizer pads so that the boom will not reach. One of these times that pad might get caught and rip off. Good luck
Sorry brokenknuckles I was giving my opinion of the possibilities of Deons thread .But thanks for the advice
As for me, I have learned to keep my "mind right" which means I can't become too focused on looking at the bucket digging the dirt and keep the bigger idea in my thinking. I have learned to remember watching out for the top of the stick so I don't break a tree branch or take out a wire or a fascia board, I have learned to remember the hoses hanging down on the dipper will get caught on the side of the trench, I have learned to remember the boom will hit the stabilizers at certain times, I have learned to lift the stabilizers before trying to drive the backhoe, I have learned the breaker will smack the underside of the boom....some of these learnings come with repair bills too. If only I didn't have to think ..... LOL
Boom contact with the stabs in the up position is not unusual, I have worked for a Case dealer and have replaced way to many boom cylinder barrels from customers lowering the boom with an up stabilizer with the boom swung to the extreme. If you remember, the Case 580 B through the E series had the two boom cyls located outside the boom and contact with the stabs was an easy mistake to make. Be glad you only have scrapes. lol. Mel.
The boom swing stops are missing or wornout
old55pete, The boom stops are all in good condition. I've been looking at a lot of hoes and believe many or most of them can make contact between the boom and the stabilizer when working the boom all the way over with the stabilizers up. I just can't figure out why only the old John Deeres exhibit these scratches. I do believe everything oceanobob is saying is totally correct. All I can say is I hope I am more observant that the previous operator. I would like to keep my new paint for a while.
Yair . . . I have never even seen one of these machines but looking at the piccy wouldn't side for sideing the pads give extra clearance? It looks like they could go on either way. Cheers.
From what I am seeing in the pictures the boom is hitting on the frame upper and lower, check out the missing paint about 1 foot up fron the boom pivot pin. The boom swing stops are so worn that they are alowing the boom to swing to far and hit the back of the machine. I normaly weld a piece of 1 nich squair stock on the remaining stop. I see this all of the time. This fix is cheeper than hiper extending a swing ram and possibly bending the rear frame on the machine. Just saying that I see this at the shop all of the time. good luck
I have done that before, it happened while I was pulling a drag along a steep slope with the hoe all the way sideways and the stab. up part way to help me not turn over down the slope.
It happens, seen deeres and cases. Its from the stabilzers, no big deal. Just be careful not to do it.
My JCB scrapes the pads as well