Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Temperature switch

Tyler d4c ยท 2022-07-11 21:47

Does any of you fine fellows know where to find a 1/8-28 water temp switch at. It is used for a murphy shut down system. I'd imagine it should switch at 210 or so degrees. Thanks.

Replies8
  1. #11693TA2022-07-11 21:51

    Kinda like this: https://www.amazon.com/AUTOHAUX-Uni...ix=1/8+-+28+temperature+switch,aps,80&sr=8-31

  2. #2Tyler d4c2022-07-11 21:54

    That one's npt I need British maybe I should just retap it

  3. #31693TA2022-07-11 22:06

    Enough room to incorporate an adapter? https://www.amazon.com/Dewhel-Femal...8+-+28+bspt+temperature+switch,aps,88&sr=8-26

  4. #4Tyler d4c2022-07-11 22:32

    That maybe the ticket if it fits though I'll order both and try it.

  5. #5willie592022-07-11 22:40

    They make those adapters in steel as well. You could likely have room to drill the hole in the adapter a bit larger to accommodate the probe. Of course that would make the thread wall a bit thinner, that's where a steel fitting would be better in that case, but you're looking at low pressure in either case as most cooling systems are only 7 to what, 15 psi max. Both brass or steel could handle that, but steel would be stronger in tightening the pipe threads than brass with the thinner wall after being drilled.

  6. #61693TA2022-07-11 23:26

    My only concern would be probe insertion depth. I don't know if you would get an accurate rating if at least 2/3 of the probe is not immersed in the coolant. It would depend on the standoff distance the adapter presents. It could work fine also.

  7. #7joe--h2022-07-13 12:19

    Just bugger it in, it'll work. Joe H

  8. #8Tyler d4c2022-07-15 12:41

    The one from Amazon doesn't work it still has enough power flowing while cold to trigger the murphy system when cold I think I may have to make it operate a relay to trigger the light