Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex 72 51b trans test?

Neily ยท 2015-07-05 10:09

Hi all, thinking about buying an old green monster of my neighbour, she's pretty rough to look at and the engine is worn out but it's a fairly honest old loader I think. Just after a bit of advise when it comes to checking the converter, seems a bit sluggish/ lose. took it for a run today and it seems to need a heap of revs to get it moving but when ya start pushing hard and tred on it it will spin the wheels, any one with experience out there know if this is normal? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Ryan1512015-08-03 08:12

    It's got a detroit yeah? Put a tachometer on it and see how much it is really revving. If it had a problem it likely wouldn't spin the tires in a push. Detroits often sound like they are at slot higher Rpm than they are.

  2. #2Neily2015-08-10 06:08

    Hi yeah 6v71t, not sure on the actual revs but I'd guess it's pretty happy just going straight to the governor. Most loaders I've ever driver- not many, seem to start to move just above idle like a car. I have a w7e case and the converter will load the engine but the terex seems to be a bit 'free' sorta as if its over powered or the converter is slipping a bit. I guess I'll just have to take the gamble. I assume that the converters are not that hard to rebuild? I'm going to buy this loader just not sure how to approach this, first thing I'll do is pull the engine out and rebuild it and I thought it would be easy to have a look at the converter while its out if need be. Any suggestions?

  3. #3Nige2015-08-10 08:40

    If you know that you will have to pull the engine to rebuild it then to disassemble & inspect the converter at the same time shouldn't be too much of an issue.