Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex 8230

dpull ยท 2016-11-27 08:12

I've been looking at a 8230 Dozer that has been sunk down in the dirt and sits in water when it rains. We got it running yesterday after being idle for 20 plus years,Good old 671 fired up with a little help from a shot of starting fluid and now the problem is the tracks are froze up. The Dozer will move back and forth about 8 " . I don't want to break anything on the machine so does anyone have any ideas on how to get the Dozer to move short of bringing in another Dozer to pull on it? Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1mowingman2016-11-27 08:28

    Get a pump up sprayer and fill it with diesel fuel. Saturate the tracks with diesel by spraying. Do this every day for several days. It may take a week of soaking. You can also use a 50/50 mixture of diesel fuel and some type of penetrating oil. I have mixed the diesel with Marvel Mystery Oil in some cases. This soaking works, it may just take some time. Be patient.

  2. #2dpull2016-11-27 21:13

    I had thought about something like that but the bad thing is the Dozer is about 20 miles from me. The Dozer has set for so long that it has sank so deep that the blade arms are setting on the ground . Thinking I may need to get a Dozer to push and pull a little to see if we can get the tracks freed up. Thanks

  3. #3catman132016-11-28 00:25

    maybe pictures would help. bottom rollers maybe froze up, how many times did you try to move it? may need another set of rails.

  4. #4bam19682016-11-28 01:11

    I think I would gather up some railroad ties or bridge planks or a combination of the two. Then, using the blade, raise the front of the tractor up out of the dirt and throw some planks under the tracks. Then keep repeating the process and moving the planks further back. With a little luck and a lot of planks you should be able to get it up and out of the dirt. Then do like mowingman said and keep soaking the tracks down. Just my $.02

  5. #5RZucker2016-11-28 01:38

    I once had to deal with the same thing on an old HD-21, the rust was so tight between the pins and bushings that no amount of soaking would loosen them up. It actually made the pins turn in the links and no amount of welding would hold them. It only took a few days to ruin the rails. If the rails were off the machine you could try heating the bushings between sprayings to help draw the diesel mix in... maybe.

  6. #6dpull2016-12-01 21:19

    Thanks to all for the ideas! Going to try and go back up this weekend and mess around with it some more