I am thinking of buying one,and know they are getting harder and harder to find,I am looking for a 82-40 DA or a 82-50 anyone out there who has ran them have any opinions of them both good and bad ,I know the allison trannys were pretty reliable and parts for them can still be had.how do they stack up against cat machines .I would love to hear from some operators who have had some time on them .Thanks.
Those are pretty big machines, and will be hard to find. I do not have an answer for you. Someone else here will most likely. However, there is a very good site on Facebook that deals with all Euclid and Terex equipment. The group is called "Terex and Euclid Equipment". Check it out.
RZucker can give you some insight. I would like to have one too just for fun, but not planning on it the near future. There are always between four and several on Machinery Trader at any given point.
No expert here, but I have worked on a handful of 82-40s and a few 82-30s. Got to play with an 82-50 for a few hours too. The 2 stroke Detroits and Allison transmissions still have available parts, the FCB steering clutch/brake units use Allison parts too. Undercarriage is where stuff could get tough, I haven't looked for quite a while but there may be some aftermarket parts available now. I rented an 82-40 to push fill across a swamp once, very fast machine, it out produced an old D9G that we had been using but was too heavy when the wet sand started to get loose and sloppy. The 82-50 would have made a great scraper pusher if it had a cush blade instead of a U blade. It was faster than the D9 too.
Have heard they were a little nose heavy. A few years ago saw a nice 82-50 with good undercarriage sell for 16K at auction. Blade cylinder creeped a little but looked like it was well maintained.
They were very popular in their day but parts could be a problem not so much for engine and transmission but track rollers were running tapered roller bearings, and had a different mounting system to everyone else, they also had a Nitrogen cylinder in their track recoil system instead of a spring which most others had, parts could be hard to find in those areas. I have done a bit of time on 82 30 & 82 40 and they performed well, biggest difference to get used to is the fact that the radiator is behind you and visibility to the rippers is probably not as good as some.
Not sure if you are still following this but I actually own one and it is as much dozer as I’ll ever need I simply love mine.
The track looks way too tight. I was impressed with a 1980 8250 I watched drive up to the auction block. It was in really good shape with almost new undercarriage and sold for $16,000. It had an Ateco ripper. Apparently it's normal for the oil pressure to barely register at idle on a 12V-71. I remember it was mentioned when driving it up and they had to stop and wait for a bit. The guy that bought it had a big ranch and was so excited to get it. He hired a heavy haul outfit at the auction and it was the first big machine loaded up and hauled away.
We run a C-6. It has a Ateco ripper/full U-blade. The 6-71 does run low oil pressure at idle… Be careful of the over tightened tracks. The grease side of our track tensioner failed, allowing the nitrogen side to over tension the track; this in turn destroyed the front idler bearings (all this happened 8km from camp, so was forced to walk it…) Enjoy!
Detroit engine oil pressure specs = if it has over 45 psi at high idle....ignore what the gauge says at idle
Do all of them only have one blade lift cylinder? I'd have a hard time dozing with one of them, it just would not sound right to me under a good load.
Some of the very last models made had dual lift cylinders but all the late 82 series were single lift cylinder. It seemed really odd on the 8250 that is D9+ size.
Mine does great I was skeptical of the single cylinder but so far I have been impressed
Terex built the 82-30C prototype in the early 80’s that had dual lift cylinders. It never made it into production but that feature was carried over to the D800 model (basically an 82-50B) and that was the last dozer Terex produced in Hudson, OH. I have a D700A and the single cylinder works fine in my opinion. I’m not sure it has quite as much lifting power as a machine with twin cylinders but it will get the back of the machine off the ground.
you only had one centre sheave block on cable machines