Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex moxy transmission

arthurgonzo · 2025-01-15 21:17

Can anyone advise me on my ZF transmission, in a terex moxy.it seems to be stuck in 3rd reverse but I can feel it trying to engage forward gear when selected,only it locks up.

Replies29
  1. #1Bigbert2025-01-16 05:05

    Hi Arthur, which build date of truck? Which type of transmission? 6WG180? 6WG200? 6WG260? 6WG310? There is rather big difference in technology

  2. #2arthurgonzo2025-01-16 06:24

    Hi buddy, not sure if you got my reply, it came via email.its a 1993 model 2766, I don't know much about the transmission other than it has 6 forward and 3 reverse,has been very strong and running well, I changed the oil and filter, then it just drove normally, got loaded, when I went to take off, it was still in reverse and refuses to go forward.

  3. #3Bigbert2025-01-16 07:09

    Hi Arthur, so it is a 6WG200, old style. I'll get you a manual of it in a PN. Check pressures at control valve, around 15 to 17 bar for the clutches. It will move only in R, but 1st, 2nd and 3rd reverse?

  4. #4arthurgonzo2025-01-16 07:16

    Yes it seems to be ok in 1st reverse,2nd and 3rd reverse but seems to be still in 3rd reverse when I go back to neutral,

  5. #5arthurgonzo2025-01-16 07:18

    I appreciate your advice and help, will check them tomorrow,if I can get a diesel fitter to check.

  6. #6Bigbert2025-01-16 07:23

    So check pressures according to manual. However I'm halfway sure you have a mechanical issue in KR, warped, seized. And so it will transmit torque even not pressurized. Neutral: Whenever you are in neutral K3 got pressure and with a warped KR it will feel like 3R. Any debris in (new) filter? Like cupper? But first step: Check pressures.

  7. #7arthurgonzo2025-01-16 07:29

    Ok, will do,what does KR stand for sorry I'm still learning about it.

  8. #8arthurgonzo2025-01-16 07:34

    Sorry, to answer your question about the free,it had some fine metal, not anything big or alarming amount, and no sign of copper.

  9. #9arthurgonzo2025-01-16 07:35

    Filter, not free.

  10. #10Bigbert2025-01-16 08:02

    KR: Kupplung rückwärts, clutch reverse Clutch layer is sinter with copper, bronze, iron etc. So shiny particals in filter are critical. But again, check pressures.

  11. #11arthurgonzo2025-01-16 08:24

    Ok thankyou,sorry ifell asleep. Will check pressures.

  12. #12arthurgonzo2025-01-16 15:01

    Hey Bieber, I know you're probably asleep now, and its my morning,but one more question if that's ok. A diesel fitter suggested I use a mono grade 30w oil in the transmission, which I did, instead of the recommended 15/40, was that unwise? Again, thankyou very much for your advice and help.

  13. #13arthurgonzo2025-01-16 15:02

    Big Bert, not beiber, predictive text.

  14. #14Bigbert2025-01-16 15:09

    Arthur, I'll go to bed soon. The type of oil you used has no bad effect on this, my firm believe. This transmission is very robust for oil types. ATF was not recommended as too thin for bearings for example.

  15. #15arthurgonzo2025-01-16 15:23

    Thankyou again buddy I appreciate it.

  16. #16arthurgonzo2025-01-17 02:17

    Hi Big Bert, hope you are well. So the pressures are a little over 15 bar, something I wonder now, is it possible that the top coil in the pack of 4 could cause this problem that I have,also I cannot find the manual you sent me,sorry.

  17. #17Bigbert2025-01-17 02:30

    Goog morning from Germany, Arthur, I need some other words for top coil in the pack of 4. What does it mean? Sorry for my bad English. The manual should show up in a conversation. Possibly get me your mail address. I'd send there.

  18. #18arthurgonzo2025-01-17 02:58

    Good morning from Australia buddy, sorry I didn't explain it, but I think they aren't called coils, The little silver, powered units running vertical under the steel cap with the wire clip, they are M1 M2 M3 M4. It seems the top one has no energy when I tested them all.hope this makes sense

  19. #19arthurgonzo2025-01-17 03:16

    Oh my email is. [email protected]

  20. #20arthurgonzo2025-01-28 02:37

    Hi Big bert, hope you are well, so my truck is still stuck in reverse, I have gone through all of the electronics and everything now seems to be sending the right signals,after alot of plug and wire replacement. I have a question about the electric solenoid on the top,rear of the unit on the side of the gearbox where the 4 gear selection solenoids are. What is its function exactly? Does it require turbine speed to activate it? It seems to be not receiving any power.i removed it and excited it,and it functions, but when in place it is dormant.could you help me please.

  21. #21Bigbert2025-01-28 04:51

    Arthur, That solenoid is for lockup clutch in front of converter. Will get 24 V with turbine speed above approx. 1300 rpm, possibly from 3rd gear onwards. There is somewhere a small black plastic box (100*70 mm?) giving 24 V to that solenoid.

  22. #22arthurgonzo2025-01-28 04:55

    Ok,yes I know the one you mean, this box has no power going out for this wire for some reason,but I will track it. Thankyou this is a good help,you are right also about the warped KR I believe.

  23. #23Bigbert2025-01-28 04:56

    Arthur, what happens when of you remove hose from KR? Either at control valve or axle/shaft? Block hose from control valve with plug, leave port to axle open, little oil coming out. Will truck move in 1st, 2nd, 3rd reverse?

  24. #24arthurgonzo2025-01-28 05:02

    Ok I will try this tomorrow thanks buddy I will let you know the result,when you say Axel, is this th drive shaft,sorry my understanding is limited,but I am mechanically minded.

  25. #25arthurgonzo2025-01-28 05:28

    Also buddy, it feels normal in Reverse 1st and reverse 3rd, but reverse 2nd is not engaging at all it feels.

  26. #26Bigbert2025-01-28 09:50

    I apologize Arthur, in German there is a difference between axle and shaft. Axle does not transmit torque, shaft does. So lets use drive shaft. Remove hose where you are able to, either at control valve or drive shaft, wherever better accessible.

  27. #27Bigbert2025-01-28 09:52

    no drive in 2nd reverse: I'm afraid there is a mechanical issue in KR/K2 shaft. Both clutches on one shaft. But let's see result of your tests.

  28. #28arthurgonzo2025-01-28 14:41

    Morning buddy, yes I will test it today and let you know what the result is, thankyou for your help,I appreciate it.have a great day.

  29. #29arthurgonzo2025-01-29 15:48

    Morning buddy,I sent you a pm via email yesterday with the results of taking off the hose, it took 2nd and 3rd reverse awaY, but1st reverse,still worked, however no forward gears,you can feel them engage but still stuck.when I reattached the hose, 2nd reverse was back functional.hope alls well with you.