These were among the first bunch of pictures I took with my new DSLR camera. Its about the 12th time ive been down the Tyne river by boat but only the second time I've seen any sign of these Terex-built rigid trucks. I know its a slim chance as the pictures are not that good and the high volume light material body that the trucks are fitted with do make the trucks appear larger than they really are. If it helps put a scale to things, the scrap rehandler loading them is a Liebherr 954 machine (about 50t?). The scrap material and/or coal/ore is loaded into the ships by half a dozen Liebherr LHM320 wheeled dock cranes - pretty cool to see them in operation. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/balacau/Sony DSLR-A350 example pics/Leibherr954rehandler3-1.jpg http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/balacau/Sony DSLR-A350 example pics/Leibherr954rehandler2.jpg http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/balacau/Sony DSLR-A350 example pics/Leibherr954rehandler3.jpg http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/balacau/Sony DSLR-A350 example pics/Leibherr954rehandler6.jpg I miss the old green livery of the Terex machines, it certainly was a striking feature, one which was very visible even at a distance. Thanks for any reply.
Dosen't we have a member working on that site? If my memory dosen't serve me wrong he has posted pics of those before. Maybee he is sitting in the Liebherr....
I'll give him a wave the next time I go on the riverboat It'd be nice to find out which member works there!
I would say those are less than 50-ton capacity trucks. Where is that scrap going?
That could make those trucks 3335, 3340 or perhaps 3308's. That is assuming they are not the previous R-series of trucks... Poland, apparently. The yard has a dual-use as a coal-export terminal. Now with the shipyards gone its the busiest part of the river - industry-wise.
Gavin I'm The scrap is on the quay side being loaded onto dumptrucks that are old enough for Noah to have used when he built the haul roads to get the Ark up Mt Arrarat, and you reckon its going to POLAND :beatsme I think I know the picks you mean, very similar set up but I think it was in the States. Might have been Tonka before his new gig Has the scrap come in from other UK ports to go out again? Not being perdantic, just and intrested, knowing we used to ship coal to Newcastle nothing would suprise me :drinkup
Could be! I would think the scrap mostly arrives by road though, from demolition sites and other collection points. Ironically, just across the yard from there is a car terminal where car carriers from Asia and Europe load/unload and depart again. They are huge ungainly looking vessels, big squarish things like floating tubs. Pretty incredible considering all that was there 25 years back was a marshy area of land deemed unsuitable for development by everyone - then Nissan arrived on the scene and everything changed!
nope not me, i worked in a scrap yard for about a year but it was not near any docks...
Terex Rigid Dump identified.... The trucks appear to be 33-05 30 ton haulers. They have five ribs in the dump body. A 33-07 40 ton truck has six ribs, and a 33-09 55 ton truck has seven ribs in the dump body.....:usa
Sorry the docks was a bit misleading :Banghead Do you by chance remember pics of old Terex or possibly Av Barford trucks in a similar set up, big greedy boards. The poster was stating didn't matter how they abused the old tubs they just kept running Going to bug the hell out of me now till I find them :drinkup
Excellent, that'll do just fine :drinkup:notworthy thanks very much for all the replies Hopefully next time I head down-river the truck's will make an appearence again. Otherwise there is just no way to see them; and a site visit is just not going to happen. :Banghead