Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex Scrapers in New Zealand

pronto ยท 2012-04-29 15:52

I figured that with all the green lizards in New Zealand we needed a thread dedicated to the subject! To start it off, here are two TS18's working in Glenside - just out of Wellington on a very hilly site. The machines are cutting steep and potentially unstable banks back above a new road being built to minimise risk from slips etc. Also on site are some Sumitomo excavators and Cat dozers from Tenga Pickering and Hitachi ADT's from Gary Holland. Anyone knows who the TS18's belong to, or any history around these ones?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies72
  1. #1WabcoMan2012-04-29 18:05

    Hi Pronto, They appear to be quite well looked after units. If you can get me a serial number (it will start 33TOT-----) I can tell you who they were originally delivered to

  2. #2pronto2012-04-30 14:02

    Serial number Well, that was handy I remembered to grab a picture at the time! The serial number is 59967 The other machine's serial number was not obvious.

  3. #3WabcoMan2012-05-01 03:02

    Hi Pronto, 33TOT59967 (rear end 92SH23773) was originally registered HE4969 to Picton Developments and first put to work in Tawa, Wellington, 1975 It was one of a pair delivered to PD and was the second to last TS-18 imported by Clyde Engineering. The WabcoMan

  4. #4Brainzie2012-05-01 03:48

    They look like the 2 that were on trademe not long ago.

  5. #5pronto2012-05-01 03:49

    Thanks Wabcoman, I would have watched those as an enthusiastic 10 year old then! Wil try to dig out some more Terex pictures - how's your collection going? Great shot in the latest Contractors mag....

  6. #6pronto2012-05-01 04:31

    Thanks Wabcoman, I would have watched those as an enthusiastic 10 year old then! Wil try to dig out some more Terex pictures - how's your collection going? Great shot in the latest Contractors mag....

  7. #7LDK2012-05-01 11:58

    Not green related but what's the story with the hydraulic tank on the D8 in the second picture?

  8. #868M2012-05-01 17:31

    LDK Increases the oil capacity in the tank normally needed if towing a hydraulic scoop. This is likely an import from Japan where it probably did that. 68M.

  9. #9pronto2012-05-02 03:08

    Agreed, this one was supplied by R.J Stewart (label on the machine) who have imported lots of Cats from Japan

  10. #1068M2012-05-03 02:45

    Pronto, I thought I saw Paul Clarke's name on it too, perhaps he owned it for a while.

  11. #11Brainzie2012-09-16 00:50

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLjyaculBBI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzVc3XIyuPE&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTeTzwr_9MQ&feature=relmfu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUEomiEBDto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQfST4ITKIY&feature=relmfu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oCYLiYK0hg&feature=relmfu

  12. #12Showpony2012-10-31 20:15

    A nice example of a late model S17 not many of these about in NZ.

  13. #13terexkerry2012-11-01 02:25

    Is that one of yours Nick,very nice.

  14. #14terexkerry2012-11-01 02:30

    Pronto,the scrapers belong to Dynel holland.I am on one for the next couple of weeks,Kerry

  15. #15pronto2012-11-01 02:55

    Co-incidence! I headed out this morning to check things out but timed it badly. The scraper had just finished the cut and was heading back up the track toward the fill site. That was just after 10, so most of the guys were knocking off for smoko. I did watch the D8 for about 15 minutes from below on Stebbings Road. Very impressive. Would make some excellent photos with the TS18 coming down the hill. Will have to try next week!

  16. #16Showpony2012-11-04 01:53

    No its not kerry weve been shifting it around for a local contractor. He bought it down from auckland about 12 months ago.

  17. #17terexkerry2012-11-04 04:17

    Thanks Nick

  18. #18pronto2012-12-30 18:34

    More green lizards in NZ Here's some more pictures from the archive. This time a TS14, TS14B and you'll see some TS8's in the background. Will have to search out some more!

  19. #19D6 Merv2012-12-31 00:17

    Lizards :notworthy dear old darlings still going after 40 plus years of toil. God knows how many times they would have paid for themselves. went past dolf rasmussens yard in paeroa the other day; had a line up of As Bs and a later white one G i think ?? He even had a S7 and TS24 out the back; plus 3 14s for wrecking or resurection ? As long as you can get on top of it; cheapest way to move dirt :drinkup

  20. #20speedy2012-12-31 03:39

    Lizards....I've heard them called Salamanders too. :beatsme

  21. #21Reubs2012-12-31 11:14

    Good to still see many old Dinosaurs still earning there keep around the country

  22. #2268M2012-12-31 14:57

    TS 14 B, Yeah right, have a good look.

  23. #23terexkerry2012-12-31 17:10

    you are right 68m it is a 14a with a B cowling,happy new year,spud

  24. #2468M2012-12-31 23:11

    Happy new year to you too Spud, hope your behaving yourself, 68M.

  25. #25terexkerry2013-01-01 00:43

    i am, worked xmas day and every day since,rootraking on d8n with one of rouses rakes,not working for him thougth,great rake,he lost conntract to swaps,take care and good luck,spud

  26. #26terexkerry2013-01-01 00:54

    merv the 3 14s are a & r s and dolf does their work he still works there,they have just got 2x637s and 2xs24s and are in a huge way 10 terex ta40s and approx 12,ts14s kerry

  27. #27D6 Merv2013-01-01 01:49

    What job have they got to keep all that gear employed, and whereabouts, kerry ? Not like them to buy 637s Would be almost sinful for those green blooded characters

  28. #28terexkerry2013-01-01 04:14

    westgate auckland and 2 jobs in taraunga,take it easy,kerry

  29. #29terexkerry2013-01-01 19:16

    the 37,s are d,s and came from down south,merv, i thought they were ex greens,who brought 2 in but they are not those ones.a & r also have a 82 50 ex jack anderson,dolf has just done the engine but the transmission needs doing, the ta 40,s are with fulton hogan along with about 4 x 14,s on new bypass in taraunga,take it easy,kerry

  30. #30D6 Merv2013-01-02 01:56

    Hi kerry. Rember feasts 82-50 when it was at waipuna and later weavers crossing. AFAIK that was only one sold in nz. Is this the one your talking about. Know there was another imported one that worked on a chipheap in tauranga. Couldn,t have been many or any others around. Greens 637Ds were only ones i knew about in northern north island. they imported them and a D9L for the twin lakes dam at rimutaka, hell over 25 yrs ago. Met and talked to dolf a few times; but don,t know him that well. Heard of barry andrews but dont know him, but know they have worked together for years. Had some pics here of a guy from ak called Billy Gunter who i did a job with once my 6 pushing his TS14A. But need a kid to upload them for me. Heard rouse and swap had a falling out. Whereabouts you working with that D8N ?

  31. #31terexkerry2013-01-03 01:45

    hey merv,just knocked off.dolf told me the guy had imported 3x 37,s and they were not greens,i was on their 9L for 4 years from the first day they got it,57 hours on the clock,nice.there was more than 1 82-50 bought in and I am sure wabcoman will know.I am working 25k north of taupo on sh5 towards rotorua.take it easy,kerry

  32. #32D6 Merv2013-01-03 14:53

    Was working for goughs when greens got the 37s Rember someone had a FU with the thrust brgs in the 3408s and they hemaroided. Bill Bond bought engines to ak and remember them being repaired. Be somewhere round 85 ?? I left in 86. Knew pat walsh who used to work for greens in ak

  33. #33terexkerry2013-01-04 01:44

    dirty **** they called the mechanic,puy thrust bearings in the wrong way i think,kerry.

  34. #34D6 Merv2013-01-04 02:24

    yep; thats right.

  35. #35terexkerry2013-01-04 02:38

    bill bond was a top bloke,do you remember the chewing gum ad back in the 60,s with him on greens 9

  36. #36D6 Merv2013-01-04 03:03

    No, but i heard about it. Ad was supposedly done when Bill was on Greens original D9G when they did the kopu-hikuai road. Yes Bill was a top guy. Cut all those batters on 'one ton straight' on kh road. Mills had some TD30s on that road job too; but there efforts werent quite as good as the 9 !

  37. #37terexkerry2013-01-04 03:51

    pm me your no merv,kerry

  38. #38UrParts2013-01-04 04:06

    all this NZ talk is making me jealous. I spent 3 weeks driving around there 12 years ago and loved every minute of it.

  39. #39terexkerry2013-01-05 01:54

    glad you enjoyed it urparts,kerry

  40. #40ktl dig2013-01-10 00:40

    82 50 at tauranga was downers one they sold unusual for them as they used to bury them in the tiphead but it was the waipuna one. i did see the ts32s get buried in the tipheads at waipuna

  41. #41Dirt Hog2013-01-10 02:33

    Dirt Hog New Bill (Bondy) when he was managing Greens in Twizel in the 70's, Top Bloke

  42. #42HSV1272013-01-23 05:33

    Another lizard. One of Rouse's.

  43. #43terexkerry2013-01-24 02:32

    hsv i heard phil sold the 2d,s for 150k each,lost big contract to swaps,take it easy,kerry

  44. #44cat32082013-05-09 06:45

    Here is a link to a Terex scraper article; http://2-cycle.mtu-online.com/stories-gallery/terex-scrapers . Pretty interesting! Thanks!

  45. #45EDGLimited2013-05-22 04:55

    You guy's interested in some pics of lizards, from the days when Ohau A and B were being constructed, down in the Twizel area.

  46. #46Scrub Puller2013-05-22 07:24

    Yair . . . EDGLimited . We're always interested in pictures of lizards! I have been meaning to ask . . . anyone know what was the model number of an elevating lizard I ran for a couple of shifts, I think about 14yards, had a 4-71 on the drive and I think a 2-71 gear driving the elevator . . . very easy to stall and you had to run back to start it again . . . embarrassing. Cheers

  47. #47Brainzie2013-05-23 04:18

    As Scrub Puller said I think we`d be all very interested.

  48. #48EDGLimited2013-05-23 06:16

    Sorry for the delay, but sorting through pics takes a while. So settle back with a frosty and go back in time. These pics were taken around 1977 - 1982. There's a story with each one, but the ol memories not that good now, you might also see some of the lizards painted in cat yellow as well. I have a hell of a lot more so will post when I can.

  49. #49EDGLimited2013-05-23 06:48

    lizards at twizel test post, if this works, then I have the uploader worked out.

  50. #50EDGLimited2013-05-23 06:54

    ....

  51. #51EDGLimited2013-05-23 07:06

    ...

  52. #52EDGLimited2013-05-23 07:14

    ...

  53. #53terexkerry2013-05-23 16:23

    Those are great photos EDG,Kerry

  54. #54terexkerry2013-05-23 16:27

    Would it of been a S11,Kerry

  55. #55EDGLimited2013-05-23 19:56

    Cheers guys, here's a few more pics...

  56. #56EDGLimited2013-05-23 19:59

    ...

  57. #57sleeper20092013-05-24 02:01

    Hey There Kerry & Merv, been reading your write ups, just found this site bloody impressive Ive found. loved the benmore coverage, I was up at twin lakes when Green& McCahill built it They had a lot of Iron on that job and I have a lot of coloured photos I'll dig out and scan if your interested. they also done the wainuiomata mall site and others round Wellington, these guys were definitely in the big boys club

  58. #58Scrub Puller2013-05-24 03:36

    Yair . . . terexkerry . That S11 rings a bell. A few show on the internet but as yet I can't find any detail about that mechanical drive elevator . . . as I remember the power went up there by tail shaft and truth be known once you got the hang of it it worked pretty well. Thanks for photo's EDGLimited . . . the memories of Detroit sounds and smells. Cheers

  59. #59terexkerry2013-05-24 04:04

    best firm i ever worked for,kerry

  60. #60oldtom2013-05-25 08:05

    Scrub Puller same as the s7euc .drive shaft to elevaters though a air bag expanding clutch.

  61. #61cat32082013-05-25 10:20

    :exactly:exactly:spongebob Nice pics !!! Thanks!!!

  62. #62EDGLimited2013-05-28 22:10

    More pics of lizards, nearly ready to post, this time from the Maniatoto irrigation scheme and Patearoa. Late 70's and early 80's.

  63. #63Scrub Puller2013-05-28 22:31

    Yair . . . Thanks oldtom . I have mentioned the drive-shaft to the elevator to a few blokes over the years and they look at you real funny (he grins). Cheers.

  64. #64EDGLimited2013-05-29 06:41

    Lizards and Leprechauns There's always a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

  65. #65glenlunberg2013-08-29 21:59

    Nice pictures EDGLimited. I enjoyed looking at them especially the old machines that you've shared here. Thanks!

  66. #66lancef2013-08-31 16:08

    Some TS8s we had in the Army. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/9389026201/

  67. #67Roger Wilds2014-04-18 20:04

    Yeh I remember that my brother and I got those 637Ds when greens bought them

  68. #68terexkerry2014-04-19 04:46

    great to see you on here Roger

  69. #69Tones2014-05-18 06:44

    What happened to all the Wabco scrappers? There were also 2 Letourneau scoops that were never used cause they never had anything to pull them

  70. #70pronto2014-07-20 14:20

    Spotted these two old Terex's yesterday in Porirua, NZ. Machines owned by Tenga Pickering and working on a new industrial park.

  71. #71Terexcat2021-02-28 17:17

    I have TS-14B'S, and one of my guys calls them a 'Ditch Pickle'

  72. #72Huffa2022-06-11 00:53

    Beattie Bros 14's working on SH2 Waipukurau to Waipawa, not sure what year this was