Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex TA30 Differential

Philip S King ยท 2021-12-09 08:52

Experiencing chatter during sharp turns with my TA30-7. The noise seems to be coming from one of the rear differentials. I guess I am going to again walk next to the machine while it is being driven to try and differentiate where the chatter is coming from. Did a quick google search seems the rear-front diff fails more than the rear because it has both input and output shaft. I changed the diff fluid to a synthetic limited slip (just in case). I don't know if this helped. I have read this truck divides the power between the front and rear differentials. I do not understand how it does this. Any advice on how to isolate the issue is appreciated. Should I ? Drain some diff. fluid and look for particulate? disconnect this or that drive shaft and block up this or that wheel and hand rotate? Also, which shaft is called "prop shaft" Thanks for reading my thread.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2021-12-09 09:16

    Do the centre & rear axle housings have magnetic plugs anywhere that you could remove & inspect, even at the wheel ends.? Everything between the engine and the axles that looks like illustration below. Also can be called a drive shaft.

  2. #2Bigbert2021-12-09 15:25

    Hi Philip, Oil for diffs: Please use exactly the oil what Terex is asking for. Anything else will not fit to friction plates in diff. and might/will create noise. Chatter noise in diff is sign of "stick and slip". Can be cured with suitable additives in oil. I have read this truck divides the power between the front and rear differentials. There is a differential set (planetary set) inside output of transmission which divides torque. 1/3 to front, 2/3 to rear axles. For slippery ground you can lock it to avoid slippage of single wheels or axles. Did a quick google search seems the rear-front diff fails more than the rear because it has both input and output shaft. My assumption: There are more failures of mid axle diff in combination with overspinning. When trucks are backing up to dump area, rear axle climbing up the small stop ramp, lifting mid axle. Mid axle loses traction and many redneck operators do not realize spinning mid axle. Diffs are not designed to withstand this kind of diff speed for longer time. Torque from input AND output prop/drive shaft is not an issue at all.

  3. #3bccat2021-12-10 12:21

    Had the same problem with JLG,s, added limited slip oil additive, problem went away

  4. #4Philip S King2021-12-13 22:23

    I changed the diff fluid with the best GL5 Limited Slip Synthetic I could find. Book calls for LS GL5 80-90 but closest I could find was the 75-90 and I had to drive 45 min away to a jobber that had it.

  5. #5Philip S King2021-12-13 22:41

    Drained some fluid out of the center diff. No big metal in it but the fluid did seem to have a lot of suspended metallic in it. I changed the fluid not too many hours ago. Not sure how many hours of use maybe 50 hours? we didn't get too many dry days for dirt moving this season. But, time flies when your having fun. I raised the the center and then the rear axle assemblies and wheels. Hand spun the wheels. The tires counter rotated. Action seemed fairly smooth. No clear grinding or jumping.