Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex TA400

fulatoro ยท 2016-03-24 13:33

Does anyone have any experience with TA400 articulated trucks ? How do they compare to 740s? Any concerns about maintenance ? Reliability ? Thank you

Replies8
  1. #1GaryHoff2016-03-30 23:03

    TA400 had good power, and could outrun the CATS. (This was almost 2 years ago, and CAT may have made changes since then, Terex has probably made changes too, to comply with tier 4b) It has a scania Tier 4 engine, and Allison transmission. Its hard to find parts for the scania engine, and the terex does not support the engine, so you need to find a scania dealer. The ones I worked on had mostly engine emissions issues (mostly DEF pumps). A few other common issues were the high/low range shifter leaking, brake pump to motor leaking (brake cooling oil and hydraulic oil would mix on higher hour machines), and fan staying full speed or surging. Terex was bought by Volvo, and lots of the Terex dealers are closed. So make sure you have a Terex dealer still.

  2. #2fulatoro2016-03-31 00:54

    Thank you for the reply. I was afraid of parts availability as well. We do not have a Terex dealer. As such it would be a risky acquisition. We will stick with CAT. Regards

  3. #3mwisales2016-05-03 12:00

    THe parts are still available. I am a Terex dealer, and can help with parts. I will tell you the one thing I have noticed on the TA400 compared to the Cat trucks - the Drop box is an independent unit, and when it goes.... it goes bad... We are a rebuilder and very rarely do I see a core come inf or rebuild that can be rebuilt for the price of new. Just a heads up. and it's a $40,000 Drop box.

  4. #4theironoracle2016-05-09 00:09

    Mwisales I'm in Washington state and a customer has a few ta27's how the heck am I suppose to service them? Triad machinery was the dealer now who? I hope not the Volvo dealer! Why did this happen? How about Oregon? Help? No biggy now but I would hate to tell this guy he has a 40 ton paper weight the next time they break down!!! Tio

  5. #5GreenWannabe2016-05-10 14:56

    According to the Terex Trucks website, there aren't any dealers in Washington or Oregon at this time. The nearest would be in Pocatello, ID, or Livermore, CA. HTH.

  6. #6JDOFMEMI2016-05-22 16:25

    I have some here in SoCal, and the dealer here, MR Tudor, does a great job of supporting the product, They are the reason I have Terex, as trucks with no support are no good at all.

  7. #7Kingston12016-07-25 14:07

    Terex Ta 40 Hi there I have a Terex Ta 40 that will not go into reverse gear- on the dash it says fault A5- is this transmission related?any advice welcome.

  8. #8GaryHoff2016-07-31 00:33

    Im assuming you have the ZF transmission. Code description is as follows: A5 - oc at warning signal output. tcu detected a wrong voltage at the output pin, that looks like a oc for this output pin TCU reaction, operates normal. In basic terms, your backup alarm is not working. This will not stop you from having reverse. There should be another fault code present.