I have a TS-18 that when it turns it only goes about 1/8 of a turn and stops and you cannot turn it without putting down pressure on the can. I have checked the steering valve, steering cylinders, hydraulic pump, gooseneck, reversing valves and I have not been able to correct the problem. Has anyone had this same issue?
You run a pressure check when it does it's thing? I'm leaning towards a weak relief valve. If the problem is the same both directions.
I used to run 6 of those ts18 I don't know what they are called you might have mention the proper name already but we could not get one to steer one way my mechanic sprayed some pb blaster one one of those small cylinders think it has a roller at the end and it hits a stopper upper neck area. i think it was to tell it when to stop steering and I think with out them one would go crazy trying to steer strait I think he oiled it and tapped on it and it worked after that just stuck. like I said it got stuck all the way 90 degrees and would not come out of it until we free it up.
That was the reversing valve. One for each cylinder... after the nose steers to a certain point the cylinders have to reverse their travel. If those valves stick it will do weird stuff. Been there with older TS-24's.
We are checking all the pressures but so far have not found an issue with pressure. We have checked the reversing valves (multiple times) and I have exchanged the reversing valves from another scraper to see if that made a difference but it did not. One more thing to add is if you put down pressure on the can, it will help it turn.
It's got to be a pressure issue. What are you getting for pressure when it stops steering? It's either by passing the piston seals, or the pump is gone. or the relief valve has something stuck in it, or... I have seen cylinders with a worn spot that would bypass in the middle of their travel but not at either end of the stroke. I'm only 30 miles away and would like to at least do a visual and consult with you in person. I do know where your yard is, but I bet the machine is out out on a job site. Shoot a PM to me.
I had a 14 do that. Those rollers need to be lubed well, I loosened the bolt on it 1/4 turn and oiled the heck out of it and it's not given anymore trouble.
I actually went and looked at the machine and talked with the owner, Pretty sure the pump is just worn out. Showed a them a few Diagnostic tricks too. We'll see what shakes out in a while.