Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex TS-24. Thoughts and valueation for pond project.

fastline ยท 2012-02-11 11:18

Looking at and older TS24 for use on a large personal project to cut some ponds in the midwest. I am not familiar with Terex much so the purchase concerns me. I am very mechanically inclined but would rather not have to juggle constant breakdowns. This machine runs a 671 rear and 6110 front engine. Relatively ready to go (for it's age) but not much left on the tires. I only need less than 100hrs from it and want to just turn it back out for what I give for it. Any thoughts on these machines, things to look at when inspecting the machine, and an idea of value? I don't want to overpay, then get stuck taking a big loss on it. I know there are other scrapers out there but moving one is NOT cheap and I need to inspect to buy. Some people think "ready to go" means "starts and moves". Recently got a CAT excavator that was anything but "ready to work". Hoses, oil changes, filters, 5M bolts loose, cylinders leaking, pins worn out, carriage cracks, etc..... I have no seat time on a scraper so I know there will be a learning curve there but the only way to learn them is to DO I guess...

Replies6
  1. #1sheepfoot2012-02-11 12:38

    fastline, the ts24 were a good machine but if I was looking to build and resell i would find a ts14, a ts24 is a large machine and even if you get in it cheep there is not a large market for resale after you are threw, also if it needs a push you will need a large machine to help it out, the ts14 is easier to move,burns less fuel and will heap about 15/16 yards also, will work around mud better, and self load some with out a push tractor, the tire cost on that ts24 could also be a bad deal breaker, the goose neck pins/ main frame arms where they hook to the bowl/ cutting edge mounting area/ejector assembly in the bowl/ there is a lot to look at even the cutting edges could run $ to start with, The 24 is a big pan and they will move dirt, cheep to buy used but to sell it later(may have to sit on it) just think the smaller ts14 size mite do you a better job along with reselling when your threw. Also you can top load an open bowl pan if needed with a track hoe, never cared much for a self loading pans doing pond work, just my thought.

  2. #2stumpjumper832012-02-11 15:00

    if you need a 24 for 100 hrs, then a 14 will do it in 125hrs... Never ran a 24, spent some time on a 14 though, for a diy dirt show, go with an older one, d's back. Newer ones have too much electrical crap. 14's seem to go pretty cheap used too. Best part is that if you need a push, a 6 is big enough to do it if the operator isnt to aggressive. Be carefull, a stuck scraper is no fun to unstick...

  3. #3Dozerwrench2012-02-12 19:28

    I would stay away from the 24 . Unless you are on some hard ground it will not get around good at all . I agree that a 14 would be better for a quick use and flip for what seems like a small job . I would say that as a contractor I can understand scope of work better from yardage than by hours , and would say if you do the math you could hire this small job out cheaper . Buying a machine for this small amount is big risk for small savings , hire it out and watch when machine gets stuck, something breaks , and 100's of gals of fuel burned . Then go in and sleep good while someone else loses sleep !

  4. #4Karl Robbers2012-02-13 14:58

    Listen to this man, he just gave you the best advice that could be given. I would not entertain the notion of buying a cheap used scraper to do this job myself. If all goes to plan you may be ahead, but if it all goes awry, (and it probably will with an old scraper), you will wish that you had never entertained the idea. Scrapers by their nature are high maintenance and wear - ask any contractor who runs them - even a low hour scraper can burn up big dollars real quick. Farm the job out and sleep well at night.

  5. #5rezod12012-02-13 20:52

    All good information for you fastline, 24s big, heavy and hard to find parts. 14 is better for getting around and resale, but buying used can and usually does mean abused which equals expensive repairs. As a contractor, buying a unknown machine for 100 hour job is a huge risk and big gamble. Karl is right on, hire a qualified company and rest easy.

  6. #6robin yates uk2012-02-14 00:13

    take others advice on this job,give it to an experienced contractor,