On the way to the Riverside yard today, I came across this TS24B spread. These machines had all been re powered with Series 60 Detroit's and as you can tell, they were in excellent shape. Somebody has obviously spent a small fortune keeping these machines up.
I like the 824C with rippers ointhead
Man that 24 is got some money put into it with the digetal gages!! COOL PICS!!
Or those are for the DVD players!
Man i must be sick in the head, because i actually miss those big green scrapers. Spent close to two years on a Ts14B. Could never convince the company to get us hooks and bails. Even though i proved my point. Mine had a plate on the front end, so i spent a day pushing my parter though the cut. Boss loved the numbers it put out, but the company just wouldnt see it our way.
I miss them too! I don't know why a lot of people hate them so much>
I've only got about 10 hrs on a TS-24. But I do know that when they are running the way they should, they haul ass! These were still running the 2 stroke Detroits... And those machines would move! I'm not sure how the newer re-powers run but if they run anything like the older twins I ran, look out! I'd be willing to bet $ that when running side by side with a good running 637D, the TS-24 would pull away.
those are some good lookin scrapers, thanx for the pics.
Whats all the gadgets on the dash for? Are they gages?
Certifiable
Your dead on RollOver Pete. When the TS14s are in top shape they fly. Couple that with a good haul road, its gravy work. A few quirks to the machine. Unlike the Cats, you have to keep the front engine rpms high to turn. Im sure the 24s would keep up, if not outpace 637Ds. I was sent to our 627E spread. We usually sent out a Ts14 with 627s as a back up machine. Everyone seemed to hate the green weenies. I made it my goal to keep up with the 627s just to prove it could be done. I hauled ass all day, and stayed steddy. Not speeding up for a while, running slow for a while. I kept the same pace all day. At the end of the day, i had 5 more loads than the 627s. The foreman couldnt belive it and called me a double clickin ****** ******. Back to his spread the next day and did the same thing. Impressed a few of the higher ups in the company. That convinced them that the old Ts14s werent so bad after all. I got sent to a brand new crew, brand new formen. We took the old 14s and went to work. What really upset the two 627 crews was the dirt division supervisor would tell them when they were having a bad day that he could sent his Ts14 guys out to their job site to show the 627 operators how to move dirt.
The gages are all part of the EMS. Detroit Diesel does have a nice re-power package. We have a Cat 623F re-powered with a Cummins QSX15. What it lacks in digital gages it makes up for in hp.
nice pic's I would also say the ts14 was a true dirt mover along with the ts18/ts24, we moved alot of dirt with those machine's. ours had just the windshield tho, had a ts14 x 2 bowl unit but you had to be in a field to turn it around. one set with the push/ pull, the power there was unreal when one was loaded pushing or pulling the other threw the cut site, that green paint turns my head every time i see it and even better when you stop,watch and listen for a bit. All of ours were the euclid series with the decal showing the cats where to park /move to when they were working!!!.
I agree Pete. TS-24 would also burn less fuel on the same lead.......C ya.....Ray
I have been around a few of those TS-24's, and they will compare round for round with a 637E, and they haul about 3 cy more per load. When they are maintained right, the "B" model TS-24s' ride good with the front axle suspension, and they put good power to the ground. I have said for a long time that if GM hadn't been forced to sell Terex, they could have put the development into the brand, and set up a dealer network to be true competition for Cat.
Would those 24's be working in Beaumont / Cherry Valley? I-10 @ 60 fwy?
Pete Thats where they were all right. I bet you drove by once or twice. Thats some of the best dirt around to work in.
I was right next door on rental to Sukut running a D8R. That was before they had moved any of their own machines in. Later in the job, I ran their 834 for a few days and remember seeing all those 24's working just to the south of us. I was also working down below for ARB on a 330 when they were running the gas pipeline. I was there about 3 months. It sure was nice working close to home back then. Work is still dead around here..
Sounds like you are riding the easy chair today. Strange to see you post in the middle of the day like this. Not a good sign
It's not all that bad. Thank God that I have my side gig to fall back on. I was at the shop last night until 11:00 pm changing oils and removing an Allison trans from one of PSP's flatbeds. When I got up this morning, I made the mistake of turning on the TV. I've been stuck watching The courtship of Eddies father for almost 2 stinking hrs now Ok.... Enough of this.... I'm off to the shop.
All that Terex is making is the TS-14...they should bring back their other scraper models and paint them green instead of white :IMO Cat needs some competition here! Not that they're bad or anything, I see them all the time working on the other side of the hill, just think some green would relieve my eyes a bit.
Terex wasn't ever my favorite scraper.That nice dry dirt shown in the above pictures makes them look good.Get the same machine in heavy wet clay and mud and see how they unload.Loading wasn't the problem as i remember them!!! I have run all the above plus s18,s24,and s32 Terex.The power was good but the hydraulics was terrible especially in the tiger crap wet clayand mud that we have to work in. The tailgate has to lift up so in the heavy wet clay you better not get more then half a load in the bowl or you had a heck of a time getting it to unload.In the time it took you to unload it the Cat scrapers would have 2 loads to your one. Also with the bowl highboom to get the heavyclay out the stinking work get you hungup and you would have to jacketknife the scraper and back up to get off the pile of clay that finally decided to fall out . In good dirt they was an okay machine ,but nothing to write home about for me.The easy ride on the old one really didn't make me feel like running to get on them the next day. Just a few of the not so good to go along with the good points of them.:usa
I agree with most of your points, but they apply to the older models. The "B" and "C" Terex have ejectors like a Cat, power down hydraulics (early ones only had power up and gravity down) , and the best part, suspension axle in the front with nitrogen struts like a rock truck. These will go round for round with a Cat. Many have laughed at that till they see it.
seems like cats have proven themselves time and time again to the scraper world, since their innovative cushon hitch design and durability that goes with the cat name, when it comes to scrapers theres only one clear choice and its a cat. im sure a terex would be good for gardens, driveways maybe even a cultisac here and there but if you got real dirt to move you need a real scraper.
Thats where your wrong 637. Pound for pound the Green Weenies were on par with your cats. There are simple, and easy to maintain. Realitively easy to get parts for. Just as fast as your kittys. I think Gm would have taken the Terex line a long way, but the government put an end to that before it got really rolling. Yes, they have their quirks, just like any machine. You just have to learn how to deal with them. Theres a few tricks to running a terex scraper. To be honest with ya, ill take a stiff neck Ts14 over a 627 with a broken cushion hitch any day. Most days I would take that 14 over a 627 too.
a ts 14 is a polished turd. an idiot wagon. i would rather sit at home than run one.
Mechanicaly? It has been 10 years since I was on a site with green demons present, they were TS 14's but for 27/28 years prior to that I was on plenty of sites that ran those galloping muck buckets and TS 24's, in all that time I never heard anyone say that they liked them or if they did they didn't say it with enough fervor for it to stick in my mind It would be good to hear the opinions from some of the mechanics on this site, it always seemed like they had no worries about job security if their was some green paint on site. When they were Euclid's, they always said that the picture of the guy pointing on the side of the scraper, was pointing to the work shop The only thing I have heard those Detroit engines in and thought that it sounded OK was in boats for some reason? Probably because the boats were far enough offshore:bash I never was around any of their scrapers that had the sliding ejector, they have all had that wonderful " lets lift the whole load up and jam it behind the apron system" that could leave a fill area looking like a heard of elephants had used it as a bathroom, that is unless they were running in dry dirt, which was rarely the case for me. I think I have said enough or someone might think that I'm biased.
Lots of Terex haters on this thread. I found them to be simple to operate, strongly build, easy to repair and economical on fuel. Compare them with early 627s which used electric, over air, over hydraulics to close the apron. How complicated is that??? I have seen more Cats with jammed clay material in the bowl than I care to remember because the aprons cannot lift high enough. TS & S-24s & up had a great apron system that could clear any load. To close after loading, just push the apron lever and when it was closed the bowl would lift until you stopped the pressure on that lever. Simple design!!!.........C ya..........Ray
for what they are they are great but i would rather undergo a hemmoriod surgery than run one.
Looks like they borrowed the pedals out ** a Freightshaker to
Scrapers The TS-14 was a nice little scraper for its' day. Cat was not making the 627 then. The drawback of the TS-14 was the cable lip. No hydraulic down pressure on the lip or apron. Working gravels was a real bitch. Lose half the load by the time you got to the fill. Not to say about creating havoc on the haul road with the dribble mess it made. Loading clay was a nightmare, then trying to unload. No slabs or chunks, just fine shaving. Some Euc or Terex's had front mufflers and rear engines had none. Just a straight pipe, at a 45 degree angle. Then the TS-24 had the roller block in the rear for push Cats. Mounted way to low, always had dirt or clay pile up on the back engine radiator. Closing the Lip or apron on the TS-24 was a nice feature as you could raise the can or bowl with same lever, but raise it too high and the ass end would drag, especially in clays. Cat finally come out with a dual function, lip closer and can raiser . Once the Goose Neck bushings got wore, it was a lurch and jerk show. LOL The seats were wore out by then , same with the tranny. Shift into gear in the pit .Lurch once,then the seat lurched, then the gooseneck lurched when the Push Cat picked you up. 3 lurches or jerks. Really Annoying after a season. LOL Finally the Terex "Load Runner" came about after the Cat Cushion Ride. That was their answer to the Cushion Ride. A floating Front Axle on giant shock absorbers. Anyway after the Gov't Anti-trust lawsuits. GM went downhill. That was my scraper days. No don't want to go back. The Cat 657's and Cat 660's were the best , in my experience.
Wish I had one... I wish I had a good TS24... My little John Deere is nice because I'm in tight areas with it, but a TS24 sure would make for shorter days! Unfortunately, I learned to drive scraper on an old Euclid with a screamin' Jimmy in it and I swear that machine was reason my Dad couldn't hear anything in his later years. Not hard to tell the guys that spent many hours on a scraper with a Jimmy... They'll be the ones saying, "What?" a lot!
Thanks for the great pics. Brought back a lot of good memories. Our company had Cats and Terexs. Terex operators were always first ones on the job, if you were late you had to run a Cat. I guess I can understand all the Terex haters, if I had been on a Cat all day while the Terexs were running circles around me. That straight exhaust on the back was pretty awesome. We would always lift on the back motor when passing oncoming scrapers unless they were Terex haters. That'll give you real bad hair day.
Awesome pics Pete! I too found some old Terex's still in service out in Riverside... I wish I could of found some of the big twin engines like you saw ( you gotta let me know where they're at:beatsme) but I did come across these single S-24's...
i have to admit those are pretty tough lookin scrapers, is the blue buckets under the fronts to catch the leaking oil?
Yeah the blue things are actually the little plastic swimming pools they sell for kids, they look like they would work great for large oil pans:scool Those scrapers must of had quite a few leaks because they had those pools scattered everywhere... Here's a pic of one on top of a 245
The best picture in this thread was the pic of the 245! I love that old school look that they had.
Most jobs around here require that you have some kind of containment device in place to catch any leaking fluids. The job I was on in Baker was that way. Regardless of weather your machine leaks or not, some of the inspectors can be and were really anal about making sure that we placed a drip pan or pool under our machines. We'd also have to place some rocks in as well to keep the wind from blowing them away. Heres another 245 for ya Deere9670
Hey Kenny... Van Dell @ 20th st. Riverside Check out the map below. http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=34.020688,-117.393701&spn=0.008057,0.020084&z=16
That 245 reminds me of why i enjoy looking at older equipment. It was mad to do a job and being pretty didn't matter. noadays most equipment looks like it is out of flash gordon or something. too rounded. that old sharp edged equipment just looks like it's saying to a job "feelin lucky punk?" The best thing about new stuff is the rounded corners (can't have it both ways :Banghead ) they aren't as bad if you cath an elbow or something.
Awesome Pete Thank You!:drinkup I'll see if I can get over there one of these days
what is the biggest scraper terex makes? ive always thought it was a ts-32, but a guy at my job says his favorite is a ts-34, i told him i never heard of a 34.
Euc made some huge scrapers back in the 60's,such as the SS40 and TSS40, but the biggest one Terex had was a TS50? basically a TS32 with a coal bowl. If memory serves....I'll check my Euc/Terex book tomorrow. alan627b
Thanks for the pics of the TS24B's. Brings back very happy memories. I would like to point out the salient fact that the cushion hitch on Caterpillar scrapers was originally developed to stop them from breaking in half due to chronic fatigue problems due to their poor riding qualities. It was originally fitted to the 631B as there had been a lot of failures. It was a classic case of turning a products defect into a selling point as Cat found out that it gave the operator a better ride. Cushion hitch was then introduced progressively across the range. Any old scraper operators out there ever run one of the Michigans with the suspended axle ?
Suspended Axle ? Hello Wabcoman, Are you talking about the Terex Loadrunner ? That had the suspended front axle. That was Terex's answer to Cat's Cushion Ride Hitch. Never heard about a Michigan with one.
Hey Pete or Jerry do you know if those TS-24's are still there??? I'll be passing by that area in a few hours heading to Arizona... I might have to make a quick detour:cool2 On my way back Monday I plan to try and hit up that Van Dell site so thanks again for those directions Pete!
Kenny The ones in the picture are not there anymore, and I am not sure of any others on your way. I do know of some in the Hemet area though. I will look for some directions for you if you wish
Damn! Thanks for the heads up Jerry, I don't think I'll have to get all the way down to Hemet but thanks anyway:drinkup
Terex Loadrunners were great for comfort, performance and speed. The front V12 gemmy was good but the V6 at the back should have been upgraded to at least a V8. Wabco 333FTs had V12s front and rear!!!!.....C ya........Ray
Hi Northart No, I've run the Loadrunners and they ran pretty good - that suspended axle got the bumps before they got your backside ! Clark offered a Michigan with a suspended axle also - it would have been in the last couple of years production and I think it was on the 210H and 310H elevators. Biggest Michigan I ever operated was a 110HT - man that thing had some get up & go but it was a rough ride.
Kenny.....give me a call when you come thru Monday. I'll pm ya my #
More Terex More Terex pix, Terex S-35E, An Experimental scraper, A 417 pullscraper.
nice pics, the 35-e looks like a big machine
Funny how history repeats itself, didn't I see some pics of a scraper with tracks on it? Or was that a haul truck?
Miskin is making a motor scraper on rubber tracks so that concept is not a new one.
True about the Miskin, but I think that Terex TS-14B shown above was from the 1970's. - Chris
I`m with you Ray on this one and doesnt the latest TS14 have the power down apron system now which is the same as the bigger TS24 LOADRUNNER machines and also has a cushioning bowl system as well
TS-14 questions Hoping to get my question answered here. A friend told me once the older TS-14's had a very light transmission and that the 6 speed version seemed to fare better. He said parts were getting very hard to come by for the Allison transmission including units used in their dozers. For someone looking at buying an old machine, is there a parts supply problem? Many years ago at the Terex dealer I noticed a nearly new machine that had a V-6 in the front instead of the 4-71. I was told it was experimental at the time. I guess I'm curious about the engine/transmission changes over the years and have lost touch, being out of the earthmoving business for a long time. Phil
I remember as a kid seeing brand new terex dozers, and scrapers going down the highway. The plant was located in Hudson OH, about a half hour from where I live. I was about 6, and got to take a tour of the plant. Pretty cool to see equipment being made, especially at that age. On that tour, I receieved a scale model of the Terex Titan, which I still have today.
So who makes the new Terex machines?
The earthmoving division is owned by Ingersoll-Rand, and they are painted white now. In the UK, they might still be a seperate company. I am not sure who owns what in regards to their other divisions. I think they have a crane division, a mining products division, beyond that i don't know for sure. Hello Google! http://www.terex.com/main.php Google search http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Terex+company&aq=f&oq=
Terex S-35E C.W. McGrath Inc San Diego Ca use to have a fleet of (10) S35E's These were real dirt movers @ 35 yards. Hauled a bigger load than a Cat 633 Scraper.I also believe they were a maintance nightmare. They were a great sounding machine all had the twin turrbo 12V-71 with dual straight exhaust pipes. You could hear a spread of these at least 1 mile away!! In the mid 1990's they traded these in on (4) TS-14D's Dug QUOTE=637slayer;77236]nice pics, the 35-e looks like a big machine[/QUOTE]
Ts 24 Back in 71 i saw a 621 or 623 i don;t renember paddle wheel out run a 24.We coulden't believe it.The 621 had a v8 in it and 8 gears.I believe the 24 had a v12 in front. By the time the 24 got fired up the 621 was gone. If i'm wrong about the numbers i can B corrected . Jim:usa
jdofmemi; thank you for the info and the terex gentlemen, and i have contacted him, just waiting for a responce. kenny; if you run into those ts-24s and have a chance please take some pix and shair with us, i cant get enough of those monsters. seeing you guys talk of where they might be is exciting, thank you to both of you,lets not let the ( green meenies ) die. ts-24frank
Here's one I'm going to pilot this one next week on a Gas Project in Australia
rus; thanks for sharing, any idea what year that is, i have never seen a rops just cover the cab like that before. ts-24frank
Unsure of age Sorry Frank, at the moment all I know is the current owner bought it 2003. I first saw it near Moranbah central Queensland Aust about August 2003 The ROPS wasn't on the machine either when I first saw it, must have been a pre requisite for a job he went to at some stage (mines here tend to go over the top with safety issues especially with contractors & their equipment ) I'll be back down onsite in a couple of days & find out then
Good luck on the new job, Rus...be careful of your back! Let us know how the Loadrunner rides.... This outfit uses a a mix of Terex and Cat scrapers, and does extensive repower work. Have a look. http://www.dwirex.com/ Alan
Thanks Alan, been told this machine has a 'walker beam' type suspension like the old 210 Michigan (other post). I haven't looked closely yet. If the haulroad gets rough, drop the bowl, then a pass or two on the grader should sort it out & or a slower travel speed Bronco riding days are long gone
I feel the exact same way about old versus new equipment...... Nowadays, nothing look more like an excavator than another excavator....they all look the same.Change the color on it and you can put any brandname on the boom!!! I like that topic.....for some reasons, it seems like folks love or hate Terex machines.......theire's no in-between!!! I remember back in 2006 seeing a whole bunch of TS24 Loadrunners on a highway upgrading in Alaska.It was on the Tok cut-off road, in the Mentasta lake area.I took pics of them but they are burried somewhere in my photo album. Interresting topic. Max.
I remember back in the 70's Clark built some Terex scrapers under contract in the old Hancock scraper factory in Lubbuck Texas, TS14' I believe, had Allison transmissions instead of Clark.
I haven't run a Terex in 10 years or more. I really miss the green paint and the 2-stroke sound.