Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex TX650 no hydraulic loader nor rear hydraulic functions

moocowman ยท 2021-04-14 02:48

I'm not getting any hydraulic pressure to front nor rear. Replaced the filter already. Removed the pump. It's at the front of the engine, runs off an extension on the crankshaft pulley. Checked the linkage/coupler to make sure it's not broken. The pump unit is actually 2 pumps stuck together. They're both gear pumps. The gears look sharp, don't look worn. Is it correct to say 1 pump runs hydraulics at the rear and 1 pump runs the loader functions at the front? I'm getting no pressure to the front nor rear. I can't find manuals for this machine. Dealer stopped supporting it. Any advice please?

Replies14
  1. #1lantraxco2021-04-18 23:01

    Don't be offended, but did you check all possible places on the pump drive where it could be slipping? Sounds like stripped splines someplace to me, the alternative where both pump systems/circuits fail simultaneously would make me buy a lottery ticket. Any odd noises, even minor? wow google ain't no help on that poor little machine now is it?

  2. #2Tinkerer2021-04-19 08:21

    I know nothing about Terex's. But, there may be both a high pressure filter and a low (suction) filter in it. Some mfr's put screens or filters in the hydraulic tank on the suction line.

  3. #3moocowman2021-04-19 23:38

    lantraxco, you are absolutely correct. I looked inside the coupler with a bore scope and splines were stripped. It was my first thought when I realized neither pump was putting out pressure. (So, are these things usually designed so that one pump provides power to the front and the other pump to the rear?) The coupler was rusted solid to the plate that attaches to the crankshaft pulley. So, I couldn't remove it to look inside and it's mounted in such a way I couldn't even stick a mirror in a position to see. Then, my mind started playing tricks on me. My bias against how Europeans set things up in unconventional ways convinced me there was some other point where these two systems converge. After I confirmed with the bore scope, since I couldn't unscrew the coupler even with heat and oil I spent a good 10 hours dropping the front cradle so I could slide it out. Now the problem is finding that coupler. It's a Parker pump. I went to the Parker hydraulics dealer, they said they have no information on that pump, despite the Parker tag with the model number. They offered to have a machine shop fabricate a coupler for $700. I also have Motion Industries looking to see if someone sells a ready-made coupler. The pump is a Parker model 76383 if anyone happens to know the spline size. Hub City makes couplers. I downloaded a copy of the catalog, but I don't understand how to read spline sizes. For instance, it has 15 splines. Under their "involute splined couplings" chart, the description for their 15 spline coupler is 16/32" DP 30 deg PA. No idea what that means. PA = pitch angle maybe? Don't know what 16/32" measures.

  4. #4lantraxco2021-04-19 23:42

    DP is Diametral Pitch if that helps. PA is Pressure angle I've worked with these folks before: https://www.guardiancouplings.com/

  5. #5lantraxco2021-04-20 00:01

    May be a Europe only pump line. Be aware then that the shaft may actually be a DIN spline. Crazy.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-04-20 09:16

    Have you tried contacting Terex ? https://www.terex.com/utilities/en/support/parts

  7. #7lantraxco2021-04-20 12:07

    Isn't that only the digger derrick type stuff?

  8. #8Tinkerer2021-04-20 13:54

    Probably. I thought if he called the number on that website, someone could advise him where (within Terex divisions) to get TLB parts..

  9. #9lantraxco2021-04-20 19:26

    True Dat!

  10. #10moocowman2021-05-25 08:58

    Thanks everyone. About contacting Terex. They've be torn apart and sold in pieces. One category of Terex machines got sole to one company, other type got sold to a different company... I got bounced around to 3 companies before I was told they no longer support those machines, have no parts for them, neither do they have any documentation for them. Anyway, I took the coupler and pump to an EDM wire machine shop. They charged me $250 to make a new coupler. Everything is back together and working again. Time to get rid of this machine.

  11. #11Tinkerer2021-05-25 09:27

    Thanks for posting back that you repaired it successfully. I never would have guessed that the coupler could be repaired that cheap. Where / how did find the machine shop that could do the repair ?

  12. #12moocowman2021-05-25 09:47

    Yah, I was expecting to pay $400 or $500. Diemold Services Wire EDM, Corona, California. 951-989-6653. I was referred by another machinist I called about making the coupler. That machinist had just retired. So, he referred me to Diemold. Sounds like he knows his stuff. Hardened it, but less than the hardness of the pump shaft so if anything wears, it'll be the coupler rather than the pump shaft. He bored the end that goes onto the drive shaft just enough for a very tight press fit after I heated up the coupler and had the shaft in the fridge. I think he said .002 inch. It felt about right, judging from how much force it took to press the old coupler off.

  13. #13lantraxco2021-05-25 10:09

    Glad you got it fixed. Damn sad these orphan machines.

  14. #14joe--h2021-05-27 11:42

    As I didn't know what a Terex was I googled it and found this picture And this is my MF50 So ** sold the chassis to Terex? More British mystery stuff. Joe G