Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terretrac bulldozers

lpnt65 · 2011-09-18 03:29

Does anyone know anything about Terretrac bulldozers? I know it is showing my vintage , did Case purchase them and is this where Case got there counter rotating steering etc from ?

Replies2
  1. #1RDG2011-09-18 05:18

    I believe u are correct there, I did read some where about terretrac and case think the original designer was German from memory and was the brains behind terretrac then case took them over, I think terretrac were thre first with the counter rotating tracks . cheers RDG.

  2. #2alrman2011-09-18 06:31

    Here's an extract from Case's 50yr anniversary backhoe book - "Merger discussions between the J.I. Case Company and the American Tractor Corporation began in 1955. Case had also considered Minneapolis-Moline and Oliver. But by September 1956, Case had decided on ATC, which the Case board of directors approved on September 9. The deal was signed on October 1, 1956. In terms of technology, the principal reason for the Case decision to purchase ATC was the Terra Trac transmission that Rojtman had developed beginning in 1950— not the loader/backhoe. To celebrate the forthcoming merger, on December 13, 1956, ATC held a demonstration of its products in the parking lot at the Churubusco plant. Case wanted to reciprocate and had a selection of its products on display there soon afterward. It was a big show with bands and local dignitaries in attendance."