Hello all, I want to pick some of the collective wisdom here. I have been asked to look at building a small "pond" for a boat repair shop. They want a place that they can back a boat or personal watercraft into, and be able to run it. Not very large, not very deep. Obviously we are going to have to look at a solid driveway of some type. Very light use, very tight budget (read charity work here. Beer and diesel fuel ). In scouting around, I've not found anything like this. I was at a boat dealership the other day and asked if I could see theirs- "we go to the lake" I was told. Any ideas? Any "Been there, done that, regretted it!" t-shirts in this crowd? Thanks in advance. :notworthy
If they didnt want to unload the boat from the trailor couldn't you just bury a role off dumpster or something that size in the ground at a angle and cut the front out so you could just back in ? Then you wouldn't have tou worry about liners, impervous material and a place on the property with enough fall to build a dam. I would think that you could run a boat wide open straped to a trailor and not push the tow vehicle out of the tank but I am not a boater.
A friend of mine owns a place like that at Oak Grove. It's just a big pond with a car lot wedged between the pond and the highway. It's about 50 miles from me but the next time I am over there I will try and take a picture.
SE- that's kind of the idea as in just back down in with the boat or jet ski on the trailer. Then run it on the trailer. From first glance, almost like a swimming pool and boat ramp combination. If the bottom is clay, will kick up too much debris. But- thanks for the thought guys. If any more come through, fire away. Thanks, Richard
I would think that the water could get kinda funky like a stagnant pond. Maybe there will be enough exhaust pollution to keep the skeeters and other stuff out.
Yes, that's been a concern too. The place we think we want to put it catches all of the run off from the gravel sales display yard. Pro- it should stay full. Con- it may have all the funk in it. One of the guys has worked where they had one before, and says there's enough oil left on the water from the 2-strokes that mosquitos aren't a problem..
you could look into a overseas container. If you get a big one and bury it on an angle. It will be big enough for any boat. If they are worried about the water getting bad bring up the idea of a waterfalls to circulate the water and make it look nice. just a thought .
I just bought a Case backhoe for my property in NC. I have no barn yet so I found vinyl billboard material to cover it for the winter. These are the same as pond liners and can be glued together into any size. I have four covering my tractor at 80 pounds each. You could scoop out a hole, line it, even drive on it and they are only around $60 each.
I forgot to mention, look up billboardtarps.com. You could call them to see if they ship to anyone in your area, then try to buy local and save shipping. I found a guy in Tampa who buys them by the truckload. He uses them for pond liners then sells what he can't use to pay for his shipping.