Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Testing a machine with missing drive motor??

Cook99 · 2020-10-17 21:52

Hi, I picked up a late 90’s Yanmar B37-2 gray market machine for really cheap. It’s a 7-8k# machine, needs some work, engine runs good but it’s missing a drive motor. Previous owner took it off to get it rebuilt. Rebuilder went out of business and he never got it back. I want to test the other hydraulic functions and fully check the engine out before I go spend over $2k on a new drive motor and sprocket to really see what else it will take to get this thing back in business. Obviously without a drive motor connected, hyd fluid just drains out of the supply line when the engine is running. My question is, to prevent this could I just plug the supply line to block off the hyd fluid? Or would this cause damage to the control valve or hydraulic system? Or would a better idea be to fashion a hose connecting the supply to the scavenge lines so hyd fluid just cycles through? thanks for any help or input!

Replies7
  1. #1Terrh2020-10-17 21:58

    I am far from an expert on these, so probably wait for someone to confirm this. But, I would think that with no control input to that side there should be no fluid going there. Blocking it off *should* be fine, and the machine should have a bypass anyways. I wouldn't go handling that control, though.

  2. #2Tyler d4c2020-10-17 22:09

    Just plug the lines you'll be fine the on that most likely has oil coming out while running is the case drain

  3. #3heymccall2020-10-17 23:16

    Steel hydraulic plugs. Cap all the lines. You won't break anything. More than a few times have I limped a machine out to someplace acceptable with a failed circuit capped off, or even a final drive or swivel missing.

  4. #4Cook992020-10-18 19:08

    Awesome, capping them it is. Where can I find caps that would work? Thanks for the replies!

  5. #5Tyler d4c2020-10-18 19:12

    Check out discount hydraulic hose on the web

  6. #6Delmer2020-10-18 19:18

    lots of places to order the caps. Discount hydraulic hose has a handy thread guide that will help you identify what you have for ends.

  7. #7Cook992020-10-19 06:19

    Thanks for the replies. Let’s hope this thing is solid everywhere else.