I am in market for new excavator. Currently we have volvo 160 and 210. I love the 210 but the 160 has 7,000 hours and tired,very tired.. I can get a Kobelco 2011 Kobelco 210 with 1,800 hours pretty cheap. Never ran a Kobelco, thoughts??? I have owned linkbelt, "cheap built" in my opinion, cat is over priced in our area, never ran komatsu but love our komatsu dozer.. we mainly dig basements, ditch cleaning, septic systems and quarry work. Thanks
How old of L/B? You have to be the first guy I have ever heard that runs Volvo call something else cheap. I don't know what model Link Belt matches up with a 9030B, but I will agree the cabs are pretty crude, but my criticism stops there. The new 210's are way better in the cab than the old ones of yesteryear.
Last L/B was 2003 160… it was smooth and power was ok... just cheap parts inside cab seemed like. I rented a case cx210 all summer, liked it but hate the regen system. Salesman told me we could "turn" it up also, seemed to come out of the hole slow...
Have you tried the Volvo 160D? We just replaced a 140B with the D and I can not get over how much power and how smooth the 160D is. We have had Cats, John Deere and Case excavators and it would be a hard sell for me now to buy anything but a Volvo excavator. By the way, we having been running equipment for 33 years.
I love the Volvo 210, never had issues... I just fell into a deal on a 210 kobelco and wonder if anybody has issues with them.. Case has given me good deal on a new cx 210 also.. I don't believe in all my eggs in one basket, my grandpa started with cat 40+ years ago. We have had cat,Deere, link belt and now Volvo....
Have you had problems with the DPD or just don't like having to pay attention to it I put my 6' ditch bucket on when I dig big holes for burying rockpiles, treepiles, and such. Make the holes usually 12-15' deep, never thought mine was slow. I will say I RENTED a 210B last summer, I did think it might have been turned down a little.
What's the most hours you've put on a Volvo hoe? Before it was scrap?
Never had problem with DPD, machine automatically shuts off after 5 min idle time, hate that.. first time I ran it I didn't know about the auto regent so when alarm went off I stopped working it and it was shut down for 20 min, my salesmans fault I guess for not telling me.. I did like the cx 210, just curious on a kobelco. We have always traded in around the 5,000 hour mark but the last few years we couldn't, so now our Volvo 160 has 7,000 hard hours on it. Never touched hydraulic pump just stupid little things we need to do.
You can shut the auto idle off, too. But, if when you shut it down manually, it will give you improper shut down if you do it too soon. I've ran Case since they were Drotts, and everything else in between, other brands, too. To me, this 210C is the best hydraulics I've ever ran. I think the old 9030B might be just a touch faster, but not nearly the overall machine, and never ran near the buckets on it either.
in the 330 size machines the Isuzu dpf tier 4 i is the simplest least complex system that I've seen don't look at cat it's full of wires and sensors. you have to get used to them they always seem to want to regen when you are getting ready to shut the machine down.
They have been identical twins since the 210B, before that, the only.difference was the engines. Case had B series Cummins, L/B had Isuzu. I completely agree, when warranty is up in three yrs, my C will be gone and I'll have a D.
Thanks Clint, I wasn't sure, I just knew they were very different from a straight 9030/LS 2800. So, what model engine did LB use? Was it a six or a four like was in the 210B?
Running how I do it's usually every other day, c'mon. :cool2
of course mine wanted to regen last nite when I was trying get home(after dark) to take the wife out for dinner . I don't remember for sure on the 2800Q I've never owned one but i'am pretty sure it was a 6cyld Isuzu did buy a new 5800Q in 1996 it had the M11 boat anchor in it the 4300Q also had the M11
Yeah, I just can't bring myself to interrupt the regen. They say you can do it at least twice, no thanks. I'll just deal with it and if it never gives me any trouble I can tell myself good job. I just can't believe it sometimes, stuff I think there is nothing wrong with it, and the next guy just hates it. I have had nothing but good experience with both the M11 and pre-EGR ISM.
I don't know what to think about this conversation. I'm glad someone has had good luck with the Sumitomo brands but that has never been my experience. I've worked on Link-Belts and Cases for many years and always to this day found them to be a cheap build. I was at the Link-Belt dealer for the shift from Isuzu to Cummins and saw what a disaster that was all across the model lines. I have friends that worked for Case at that time who saw the same thing. The electrical and electronic systems were at least two generations behind the big three with throttle motors and alternators making for large piles of scrap. I believe Case is moving to Isuzu and Link-Belt went back to them awhile ago. I have absolutely seen the Isuzu diesels as the class of the industry for many years but today have seen several issues that were electronic in nature and the machine dealers would not purchase the software necessary to be able to work on them. They send out people who try to BS their way through a fix spending bundles of customer money because the dealers won't provide any kind of training or tooling. The amount of time between regens could be just such a problem as I would expect it to be much longer for a clean burning diesel engine. To the original question about the Kobelco machines, I haven't seen or worked on any of the current generation. I do see plenty of those machines around still working with plenty of high hours. The key is what kind of support can you expect from the dealer and how well you want to fix them when things go bad. Check on the cost and availability of parts and service personnel to work on the machines. I haven't heard of any design issues yet but the dealers for them in this area went bankrupt a couple of years ago and the nearest ones left are up by the Canadian border or down in Portland, Oregon. There just aren't many around right now. The brand was used extensively in the forestry industry because the initial price to the reman companies was very low allowing the build up to a logger for less than other makes. That industry beats up everything in short order so it is not fair comparing those machines against dirt diggers. The big complaints I heard from the forestry industry was cheap plastic in the cab, door latches that give up in short order and some kind of training or good manuals that would allow working with the machine diagnostics. That may be different for construction machines.
Instead of re-posting the whole thing, I'll just ask away. LB used Cummins for a while? In the Q series? The first generation 210's? Didn't know that. Thought the defining thing was always the engine. Then the next point. Electrical. Only electrical problems I ever had on that 9030B, it now has 11,000 hrs, got it with 4000, was one fuel shutoff solenoid, one alternator, and the ground wire in that solenoid bank by the pump came loose. That was a b!%&# to find. Machine would just stop like you lifted the cancel lever. Sometimes would work for days, some days couldn't get it to work. As for the cheap cab, agree. Plastic door handles, poor heater/nonexistent a/c, plastic glass that faded out, yes they were cheap, but I still feel they were a reliable, agile, super fast digger. I guess moral of the story for me is 15-20 yrs ago, Cat was a lot farther ahead than they are now. Deere will always burn more fuel, Komatsu (unless it's an HD model) will always be too light in the butt and have too long of control levers, Volvo you need to have 2 to last as long as anyone else. I'm just glad there are guys like Clint that have as good of luck as I do that can collaborate my stories.
Our EC140B went 7,000 hours before we ever had a break-down that put if out of service for the day. We lost a $42.00 fan shaft bearing and had a new one in the next morning. For what it would do, it was probably the best piece of equipment I have owned in 33 years of running equipment. By the way, we got $57,000.00 for it when we sold it, which shocked me. A friend of mine had a piece of woods equipment (shear) with a Volvo engine that had 17,000 hours on it when he sold it and the engine had never been touched.