On the 75th anniversary of D-day, I'd like to take a moment to thank our armed forces and those of our allies. I would never pretend to know what they went through. For these folks to have fought as hard as they did and with the determination is just incredible. And for us as Americans to be fighting in two separate theatres on each side of the world. They truly were the greatest generation. I would like everyone to take a moment and appreciate what these brave men and women have afforded us.
I fully support your statement Funwithfuel! As an immigrant I think about all the freedoms and benefits we are enjoying lliving in this greatest Country on Gods green earth, and I have something to compare it to. But as I think about of all these things I cannot help but think about all those people who died in order to secure all these freedoms!!!
Well said and so true! Thank you vets!
My grandfather was among those who participated in the activities that happened 75 years ago. He volunteered to go ashore very first because as a farmer he was tired of being sick on a pitching craft in the ocean. He landed on Utah beach near where Teddy Roosevelt Jr. went in. He ended up marching all the way toward Berlin. We don't really know everything he did because he did not volunteer to talk about it. He would tell you all you wanted if you asked. We just did not ask as much as we should have.
That's kinda funny, my grandfather was a farm boy from Wisconsin in the navy. He was in the Pacific. Okinawa and midway, similarly, didn't speak much about it. His position when I mentioned the idea of enlisting, don't worry about it, I served enough for both of us. Didn't understand it when I was young, now I do, sorta .
This is one sobering photo and tells so many stories. I can't image what was going through those men's mind at that moment.
That's my father's generation and it has always made me look inside for thoughtful consideration. The thought that always has occurred to me is that those are just kids putting all their life's potential on the line for an idea. So why do the kids have to pay the price for old men looking for power and riches? Why do countries and populations squander the potential of their youth over such stupidity that really no matter the outcome, no one wins? A lot of brilliant people died back then on both sides that could have made the world a whole lot better now than what it is. I'm certainly glad us and our allies did what they did. I suppose all the ceremony and pomp of all those dignitaries makes for good news and a lot of feel good stories. From the tension in the air now days, I wonder who really thinks of this anniversary as anything other than a plug in the news media. The phrase that always stuck with me I heard from an uncle who served in two wars. Graves are for the living, they are no use to the dead.
I was just thinking something similar today. What's it all for. Every one of those tens of thousands whose bones are resting there in Normandy had a mother and father and probably brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and maybe a wife. Had just finished school. Cut off in the prime of life. Each story ended right there on this day 75 years ago. We remember the many, and now few who lived to tell their stories but not so much the ones who were no longer able to tell it after June 6 or the days and years following. Every one had a car come up the driveway with an officer carrying a card with the news. All this became necessary because certain countries decided their new ideologies were so superior that it was acceptable and necessary to overrun other countries and set up their own government and massacre and exterminate people they thought were responsible for all their problems. Many more lives in that scene just cut off. Lots more people cut down by their own governments, but we don't hear about that as often.
Lest we ever forget God bless them all and thank you
Missed this one at posting, my hat is always off to those men that sacrificed so much to make certain we remained a free nation.
As an English man i would like to apologize for a certain few who disrespected your president/country, politics aside Mr Trump is your elected president and as such represents your country, our Queen (again not political) invited him to the UK as the leader of the country we have as our greatest ally's to remember/celebrate those who gave their all 75 years ago, part of this was a state banquet that many heads of state and politicians were invited to attend, again this is not a political function but a state banquet of celebration and remembrance, for some reason that i can only see as being massively disrespectful and rude a few members of English politicians decided not to attend because they wanted to protest (see further their own career) about Mr Trump, one of which (Jeremy Corbyn) upon realizing his huge mistake tried to gain favor by asking for a personal meeting with Mr Trump after the Banquet, happily Mr Trump declined this request. SORRY FOR OUR DISRESPECTFUL FEW.
No apologies necessary. Most of us are thick skinned. (Can't speak to this millennial bunch though) BTW , we tend to ruffle some feathers quite often as well. Can't point fingers without some pointing back.