Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thanks Willie!

RobVG ยท 2013-05-31 13:45

I had some hydraulic fittings with 2" hex's. Looked like they'd be a "bugger" to loosen. I tried your hammer trick and they started turning right away like they were loose! (They weren't though) I put a 4 pound hammer on the other side and gently hammered the fittings with a small ball peen. I don't think I'll ever dread taking off a hose again. Thanks Again- awesome tip. :notworthy

Replies11
  1. #1willie592013-05-31 19:37

    Well, I'll hoist a mug with ya RobVG! :drinkup Used properly, a hammer is a very handy tool. In unskilled hands it can be used to damage or destroy components. But used properly by skilled hands, a hammer is one of the most useful tools in your box.

  2. #2John C.2013-05-31 22:26

    So instead of Willie59 we should call you Bam Bam now?

  3. #3grandpa2013-05-31 22:31

    Yup..... famous words from the world renowned Willie...... if it don't come, get a bigger hammer. I've heard of you way up here in god's country!!! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

  4. #4willie592013-05-31 22:38

    LMAO, you can call me anything you want to John C...just don't call me late for supper. I've tried to tell ya gramps...I'm a legend in my own mind.

  5. #5HATCHEQUIP2013-05-31 22:50

    Give um hell Willy they cant talk to us southern boys like this

  6. #6willie592013-05-31 23:02

    It's all good HATCHEQUIP, John C has a dry sense of humor which is quite entertaining. Gramps...he's just an old pecker gnat that loves to bust my chops. But he's really just a big teddy bear and don't want others to know it.

  7. #7willie592013-05-31 23:34

    All good humor aside Rob, true story, rental customer called me about a blown hose on a Case CX225SR. Got on site and found it was one of the hoses for the arm cylinder on top of the boom, when it popped, it sprayed hydraulic oil all over the top of the machine. Problem was the machine was on a 45 degree slope, helluva position to change a busted hose, on top of the boom, with the machine covered with oil. I knew if I started the machine to move it or get the boom in a better position that it would puke more oil from the busted hose. Solution? A hammer and a #16 JIC cap. Rental customer looked at me in bewilderment when I went down the hill to the machine with only those two items, but I knew I had to keep my hand load to a minimum. Started climbing on oily machine with my light load, firmly holding anything with my free hand, ended up on top of the cab, covered with oil, one hand holding oil pipes on top of main boom, other hand banging on arm #16 JIC hose fitting where it connects to boom pipes. Knocked the hose fitting loose with hammer, removed it, then fitted the JIC cap on the boom pipe, tightened it with the hammer, all while holding on with other hand. Gently clumb off the machine, fired it up, moved it uphill to flat ground so I could replace the hose in a safer position with minimal oil loss, rental customer was impressed. Which is fine...but I just didn't want to break a limb trying to fix that thing on that slope. Give me a hammer and a cap and I'll move it.

  8. #8Dualie2013-05-31 23:51

    whats the trick to this? i must have missed the thread somehow?

  9. #9willie592013-06-01 00:24

    It's a simple trick Dualie, larger hydraulic fitting connections, 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2", 2" and above, they can be pretty tight. Put a wrench on them, try to break them loose. Even worse, those connections that require two wrenches, one on the hose fitting and one on the component fitting, you say to yourself...this is gonna hurt!. Instead, all hex fittings have two parts, the flat of the female fitting and the points of the female fitting. Take a hammer, give a flat of the female of the fitting a number of whacks. Move to another flat, some more whacks, move to another if necessary, then female of fitting will come loose with minimal effort. I've even been in spots, like mentioned at post above, where using a wrench is not practical. Instead of whacking the flat of a fitting, move hammer blow closer to the point of the fitting in the direction you want it to move, loosen or tighten, keep whacking in that direction and it will move in desired direction. For a dangling hose connection, not clamped to the machine, requiring two wrenches to break connection, these can be a problem. Place a "dolly" hammer on a flat of fitting, whack the 180 degree opposite flat with a hammer. Move dolly hammer to another flat, whack the 180 degree opposite while holding dolly hammer in place. Hose fitting will now break loose with ease.

  10. #10Dualie2013-06-01 00:35

    Thats a handy little tool for the tool box!

  11. #11Oxbow2013-06-01 02:14

    Thanks Willie, I'll keep that one in mind!