Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

the BIGGEST koehring Excavators well 1 or 2

jetxss · 2010-03-17 00:16

​ 1266 and 1466

Replies139
  1. #1jimmyjack2010-03-17 07:55

    the joy of slurry walls:Banghead

  2. #2245dlc2010-03-17 19:16

    So tell me those Koehring excavators did they have high pressure hydraulic systems? Or were they built like the Warner and Swasey machines with low pressure. I often heard when I was working in Alberta on sewer and water jobs that machines like the "Hopto", Koehring, and even my old favorite the 245 Cat could not only fill a bucket but keep pulling through the bank after filling it. One story I heard was that with the "Hopto" 1900 because they had four track motors the operator could stick his bucket in the dirt and drive backwards digging a trench. Another story I heard about the first Cat 245's was one guy was digging blasted rock in Yellowknife (Canadian Shield actually) and hooked a solid piece and the bottom of the bucket ripped out. I still have a hard time believing that, but you never know. lol

  3. #3jetxss2010-03-19 02:17

    hi psi. but the Koehring have more power then them all the machine in the 1st pic is a old cat 245 it looks little

  4. #4jetxss2010-03-19 22:30

    yes 100 ton it rocks to

  5. #5saudi owner2010-03-20 16:37

    what a long boom man

  6. #6Koehringman2010-03-22 12:21

    Koehring That JUST might reach.... CHINA!

  7. #7jetxss2010-03-29 19:37

    How are you doing Koehring man. I thought you might like that. How's your little baby doing saw some pictures it's a pretty machine I don't know what it is you do exactly but I love these machines and love two see them still working. But if you ever need any hydraulic work done the best place to go for Koehring's is perfection hydraulics in Evansville Indiana. They're the best were not exactly easy on our machines, and they keep them running. The only time he have to fix stuff from them is when somebody else's stuff breaks

  8. #8jetxss2010-03-29 20:05

    So I take it you have worked on a slurry wall somewhere before. I've seen guys bang their heads against the wall for days, even years. I love working on them As my dad always said have Koehring will travel

  9. #9stretch2010-03-30 15:39

    Are those a couple of Dorfman's machines? I know they're based in CA, but work wherever they need a big ol' orange machine.

  10. #10245dlc2010-03-30 21:36

    Just out of curiosity some day when it gets to difficult to maintain or get parts for those Koehring machines what will you guys do then? And have you ever tried using Liebherr excavators for doing slurry trenching? I think I saw a picture of a 974 or something about that size with a special long reach boom and a narrow trenching bucket.

  11. #11Koehringman2010-04-01 17:53

    Hi, JET . Good! Mine is a Koehring 455. made 1966. Detroit 4-71 power. Koehrings next in line after the 505. This has full hydraulic swing and travel. I love my toy! I work as building maintenance for a hotel. Fell in love as a child. These were everywhere during the sewer days of the '70s. That long 1266D will set a DEEP sewer! Go to nerockbusters.weebly.com click on "members photo page" for more pics of it. Come to Connecticut for a QVEA show. I run it for thier fairs.

  12. #12jetxss2010-04-09 01:53

    There is no doubt th will but at in the future that the Koehring will not being a economical way to go. But we haven't had a problem keeping them up and going right now the biggest problem facing these Koehring's is operators that can not only run them But and maintain them to the machines have enough power to rip themselves apart, so if an operator does not know what they're doing and the mechanic doesn't do his part to they won't last long. They will last longer than any other machine in the same situation. These are quite possibly the hardest machines to operate in the world and the people who are the best at operating these machines are probably the best operators in the world. With that said, one they will have to find another machine, but we know people who have spent $1 million on a Liebherr 996 and he said he could barely keep up with 1266 and a mechanic so far, no one makes a machine that is strong and as fast and the same size as the Koehring but we are looking into it Right now. Remedial construction services is running a modified cat 385, while it does a good job. It's not as fast as a 1066, but it's about the same size

  13. #13jetxss2010-04-09 02:07

    Know those aren't Dorfman's machines. But we do know Jerry. The machines belong to my father he owns part of a company He's been working with the Koehring's for the past 30 years know me at all my brothers are in the industry In one way or another, although none of us work for my father. He started working with 1066s And then modifying them and kept stepping up elevens twelves and the fourteenths 1266 above, which is named the Martin a friend of my father's, who helped design the machines set the record for deepest digging hydraulic excavators at 107 feet. The machines are truly amazing. They were beyond their time than if they were still around today. They would be beyond their time now. But you are right. There's a reason people are willing to spend $200,000 to send big orange machines across the country and into other ones, because someone needs them

  14. #14245dlc2010-04-09 07:49

    Well if you ever get a chance make some video's for the rest of us to see those old girls digging. A lot of people would love to see them operating.

  15. #15tjv32010-11-07 22:02

    just joined,I love them 1466 koerings, long time ago I was hauling jerry dorfmans machines around the country.I live by buffalo ny and I see an old 1466 in a big rock quarry up there.

  16. #16eianewb2010-11-07 22:46

    not to change the subject, but what are slurry walls? DNR is building a dam near us, contractor doin the work has started the dam and spillway, then they bring in a 385(i think) cat w/ a long stick on it and is diggin real deep for some reason. then it looks like they are mixing the dug up muck w/ something in white bulk bags and then puttin it back in the hole. is this a slurry wall??? i have no idea, but it sure is cool to watch. what would they be doing this for, and what does it accomplish? are they mixing the muck w/ cement?? looks like a white or gray powdery something. thanks for the input.

  17. #17Koehringman2010-11-07 23:07

    Welcome to the Heavy Equipment Forum!

  18. #18Koehringman2010-11-07 23:13

    Koehring Jet, go to the "First Generation Hydraulic Excavator " Thread. Got some video of my 1966 Koehring 455 up there.

  19. #19Hokiesmokes2010-11-08 20:00

    eianewb, they are probably laying a core trench for the dam to prevent seepage underneath. Typically this is done with compacted clay, but possibly on a really large earthen dam you would need grout. The bags are most likely cement. I don't have any experience with slurry walls so I can't help you there. I'm pretty sure the WTC foundation used slurry walls to hold back the Hudson. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

  20. #20jimrr2010-11-08 22:11

    mabey it is bentonite......used in ditches to seal bottom.

  21. #21Big Iron2010-11-08 22:29

    slurry walls are typically used as a cut off wall for something they don't want to migrate. as you dig your trench (some are 150' deep) you add a thick mud to keep the walls from collapsing inward. when you get enough trench dug, you will begin adding whatever the wall design mix is. could be a Benoite, soil, concrete mix or just Benoite, soil or soil concrete, you get the point. you will wind up with an underground wall that could be impenetrable or structural or whatever its intended use is.

  22. #22eianewb2010-11-09 07:46

    was talking to some guys yesterday, they said it was bentonite. they are digging 60' deep. cool to watch as i drive by everyday.

  23. #23Dozerboy2010-11-09 19:21

    Now you guys have got me intrigued. I have never seen a koehring and never paid much mind to the threads about them. I like a challenge and running things no one else wants to run. I have to keep my eyes open for one and see what there all about.

  24. #24Koehring_Researcher2022-06-03 15:20

    Does anyone have any tips on where I can find info about the Koehring 1266 D excavator, as well as info regarding where I can find parts for it? I recently found one abandoned, seems to be in fairly good condition, and plan to fix it up. It does not have the usual Detroit Diesel engines (I think that’s usual for this model), it instead has 2 Cummins engines, which I believe are the KT-450 engines. This one was, according to the sticker on the inside of one of the Hatches, was manufactured in August on 1977. I’d also like to know if I can use more modern hydraulic pumps in place of its original 8 (4 per pump drive and engine).

  25. #25Koehring_Researcher2022-06-03 15:31

    I’m kinda like that as well. I’m young, but I plan to make a business of it.

  26. #26ianjoub2022-06-03 15:45

    I can't help you there, but I just bought a 1988 Koehring 6614 excavator. I may have some horror stories to share soon. I didn't pay much more than scrap price for a running unit at least.

  27. #27Tones2022-06-03 18:10

    The only Koering excavator I have ever seen was a 1166, air over hydraulic controls, V12-71 and as slow as the second coming of Christ. I could load a 769 with shot rock faster using a Hitachi UH07.

  28. #28Vetech632022-06-03 18:41

    Had an employer with a 1066 back in the early 80s. Strong but slower than molasses in winter.

  29. #29skyking12022-06-03 19:43

    you are a brave person to take that on. Pump changes are the last thing I would consider. Just getting it moving will be an accomplishment.

  30. #30Koehring_Researcher2022-06-03 20:05

    Well, I’m not sure I like the sound of that. Especially since I’m only 16.

  31. #31skyking12022-06-03 20:50

    I'm rooting for you, but first get the engines going

  32. #32Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 07:17

    Will do, I just have rewire the ENTIRE cab, as well as buy a new seat lol

  33. #33Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 07:19

    Here’s the cab:

  34. #34skyking12022-06-04 09:38

    there's an old joke amongst operators. If you don't know what Lever A does, Leaver Be. That whole thing is Leaver Be. It is a long shot that a dedicated ressurectionist could get it going. There are much better things for you to put your efforts into.

  35. #35Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 10:29

    Yeah, I get that it’s not very realistic. Although, the internal parts, like the engines and (most) of the pumps still look to be in great condition. Even the hydraulic cylinders are looking good, except for very small leaks in the boom cylinders (probably just need some fresh seals). Yes, this project as a whole most likely is a long shot, but I’m willing to stay dedicated as long as there’s a chance. I’ve already identified some parts that may need replacement, and have found most of them online, though very difficult to find anything specific for this machine. Idk if this particular excavator model was one of Koehring’s rarer machines, but whether it was/is or not, it’s definitely not easy locating parts for it (though using a diagram located on the inside of one of its many hatches has helped a lot).

  36. #36Vetech632022-06-04 10:59

    ?Huh?! Did you show your ID at the door?

  37. #37skyking12022-06-04 11:01

    check all the engine oils. check coolant. If it is leaked out then just walk away. pull and dump fuel filters. Re-fill with fresh fuel. remove fuel line from the lift pump, and make a temporary line to put in a bucket. Borrow (2) 4d batteries from a friend. hook up the batteries. Start engine #1 Repeat above for engine #2 If all that goes well then maybe you could proceed. Forget about wiring or new parts, if they don't start/run you're done.

  38. #38Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 11:42

    Well, I would need at least a couple new parts, mainly BOTH fuel tank caps, as well as the ignition mechanism + key, (also ALL of the gauges in the cab, though idk if that’s needed quite yet) as well as new piping for the exhaust, since the old piping has almost completely rusted away (idk about that as well though). But, I know this for sure: BOTH fuel tanks need complete clean-outs, since both are filled with dirt and other debris from being left open to the outside for who knows how many years.

  39. #39Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 11:43

    Yeah. I think I’m starting to REALLY question this all of a sudden.

  40. #40colson042022-06-04 13:23

    I don't want to discourage anyones dreams and ambitions, but @skyking1 is dead on about this project. Even a seasoned mechanic would have their work cut out for them resurrecting that old machine. A machine like that doesn't get parked while it's running in peak condition and walked away from. It got left because there was an underlying issue at hand that was too expensive, too time consuming, or both, to deal with. I've brought home projects out of the weeds before and most of the time, I regret doing so later on. I rebuilt 2 motorcycles that were in baskets when I got them. Took over a sandrail build from another guy, took on a mud truck project, etc. All of those I saw through to completed running vehicles, that eventually were sold off. When I added up the cost of a rebuild, I had way more into it than if I had bought a running version of the same vehicle. If you like a challenge, resurrect an old vehicle that still has readily available parts. Cut your teeth there and get familiar with the problems that come from old crap laying in the weeds. There are lots of machines of various sizes that don't have parts that costs 10s of thousands of dollars and are unobtainable.

  41. #41crane operator2022-06-04 14:01

    Old KT cummins parts are big $$$. I see quotes of 40-50,000 to rebuild one. If the fuel and hydraulic systems have been left without caps, you have a lot of contamination issues. If the exhaust has rotted off, you've likely got water in the engines too. The last thing you need to be worried about is the seat and gauges. That stuff is minor cheap items. With two KT cummins of unknown health, and you say the pumps are toast also, a $100,000 investment may not get you a running machine. Maybe just sit in the seat and make engine noises.

  42. #42skyking12022-06-04 16:30

    It's still a cool find. Please take a few more pictures of it for this thread.

  43. #43Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 16:52

    Well, I don’t fully know the condition of the pumps, but they look surprisingly new for a machine this old. I wouldn’t be surprised if they haven’t really been used all that much. However, if they are in fact in need of replacement, it shouldn’t be too much of an issue, because I’ve found the pumps online. But the debris in the fuel tanks, that will be an issue. Also, a revision of what I said about the exhaust being open to having water enter the pipes and into the engines: I made an error explaining that. I looked back at a pic I have, and the mufflers are laying horizontal on top of the machine, still connected to its pipe to the engines, and these pipes are actually alright, except for being a bit rusty. As for the engines themselves, I think I have a pretty good shot with them, they somehow still have their alternators, their filters (oil/fuel/etc.), and all the piping throughout the system is still together! The only thing that is actually a problem is the cab, seeing that I have no ignition mechanism, nor it’s key to start it. And, as if all of that isn’t lucky enough, it’s sitting next to a fire station, so I’d be very surprised if anyone has been able to steal any of the internal parts, especially with how loud the hatches and doors are. Now, as for the hydraulic fluid lines, I’m fairly certain that there are no breaks or problems with them, since there is still pressure for the hydraulic cylinders. Well, the boom cylinders, at least.

  44. #44Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 16:59

    However. I have noticed something internal that, while I’m not really certain, could pose to be an issue. On top of where the turntable is, there’s a large area of it, and a little bit around it, that is blackened, almost as if there had been a small fire in that spot at some point. Either that, or something just ended up getting way too hot. I’ll post a pic of it.

  45. #45skyking12022-06-04 17:00

    More pictures

  46. #46Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 17:04

    Here’s some more pics, sending more

  47. #47Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 17:06

    More

  48. #48Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 17:07

    And more.

  49. #49Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 17:16

    Honestly, what I think the reason Is for why it’s been left there is that it’s too heavy to transport. 375,000 pounds of excavator is a bit much for transport, and it was used for work in a gravel or sand pit, which has been closed for around 17 years now. There also used to be other machines on the site with it, one of which I believe was an old Koehring crane, I believe a 305, though I am unsure. There was also 3 of those old Caterpillar D8 Bulldozers, an old semi truck and it’s trailer (the trailer is still here, with a lot of stuff in it, I might add), and one of those old Koehring trench diggers. But, some years ago, everything but the 1266 and the semi trailer was taken from the site, most likely to be scrapped. The site is owned by just one person, and I don’t think they’d spend a ton of money getting several over-sized load trucks just to haul away one machine.

  50. #50Bluox2022-06-04 18:37

    Your black spot is where the grease bucket went for the hose reel. Bob

  51. #51Steve Favia2022-06-04 20:41

    Really cool project,love the pictures!When I first got out of high school, my first job was as a laborer with a contractor that did mostly sewerage treatment plants,they had a 1266 and a 1066 those things were beasts, brings back a lot of great memories.

  52. #52JD955SC2022-06-04 20:56

    so let’s say you get this big b*****d running and it doesn’t blow apart. then what?

  53. #53Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 21:00

    well, I plan on using it to start my excavation business. Mainly general dirt moving jobs, culvert repair installation and replacement, in ground pool installation, basement digging, trench digging, and so on, as well as a special gravel branch for this excavator to be frequently used for. It will probably start as just a local business, but will hopefully grow into a chain.

  54. #54JD955SC2022-06-04 21:04

    You have some good ambition but do you know what it takes to move much less operate (fuel, fluids, and maintenance) a 187 ton excavator? These aren’t machines you move in for short term jobs.

  55. #55Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 21:07

    I’ve done weeks worth of research on this thing, and still am. I’ve gone inside it, and things look pretty good for an excavator this old. The tracks are clear and oddly clean, the engines look great, just a bit of rust here and there, and I’m finding more parts I might need for replacement online each day. And while it is true that I haven’t operated an excavator before, i still have a lot of time to learn before I finish this project

  56. #56Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 21:09

    if by “move in”, you mean move to the place it’s at, I don’t need to. It’s right next to my neighborhood. I’m surprised I’ve never really noticed it before.

  57. #57JD955SC2022-06-04 21:17

    no I mean move it to your intended job sites should you get it operational

  58. #58JD955SC2022-06-04 21:35

    I’m not trying to burst your bubble BUT These class machines are found in more or less two places- mining/quarrys and mega construction projects One of my construction customers runs 95 ton class hoes- half the weight of this machine. The machine comes to us from the factory in three truckloads from the port- a lowboy with the machine’s carbody and house, a flatbed with the counterweight, pin crate, and walkway crate, and then another flatbed with the boom and stick and boom cylinders. We have to hire out a mobile crane to unload the big pieces and then have the mobile crane fly the boom into position and pin it up. We then can install the stick ourself and make sure the track frames slide in and out easily. then our customer comes in and picks it up on their heavy haul dedicated to this task trailer, and they install bucket and counterweight on site. And they have to drop the bucket And counterweight for each move and pay for the permits for each move

  59. #59Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 21:40

    yeah, it’s already on a site, and I have no intention of moving it, nor do I have any idea how I would, nor how I’d afford it

  60. #60Welder Dave2022-06-04 22:24

    It's probably not abandoned either. Seems like it could be sold to a scrapper and they come out and cut it apart. Even at scrap price would be quite expensive. It is not even worth considering fixing up. It is obsolete and would cost a fortune. The flat pad tracks are not desirable at all. Interesting to check out and take pics. of but that's about it.

  61. #61Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 22:29

    i don’t think so. It’s been sitting in the same place, untouched, for at least 17 years

  62. #62Tones2022-06-04 22:35

    Here is my 2 bobs worth but first I like your enthusiasm that youth today don't seem to have. If you can get this machine go for it. One way or the other you are going to get some great life experiences that will serve you well for the rest of your life.

  63. #63Koehring_Researcher2022-06-04 22:36

    Thank you!

  64. #64Welder Dave2022-06-05 10:59

    Regardless of whether it is abandoned or not, you need to at least contact the land owner to get the go ahead to take it and/or work on it. What will you do if the land owner gives you the go ahead and a time limit to have it removed? What if you discover major things wrong with it (the reason it was put out to pasture) and are no longer interested in it? Your enthusiasm is great but this just isn't the machine to be taking on as your first or 100th project. Just to move it if it ran would cost thousands of dollars. Where would you put it? No matter what, it will cost you over $10,000 and like was previously mentioned could cost over $100,000 to get it in decent operating condition. Maybe??? if you could get it for free, or very little, you could dismantle it and sell it for scrap. That might be a good option where you could actually make some money of it. It seems to me that if it wasn't a major problem that idled it, the owner would have fixed it and sold it to recoup some money. There is a reason heavy equipment is often referred to as a money pit, especially when trying to fix up older machines that you don't know the complete history of. It might seem like a great idea to get a machine for cheap to fix up BUT you always have to think about how much money it will cost to do that. This machine is just too big to even consider unless you have a large gravel pit or something where it wouldn't have to move. Where you would park a machine this size in between jobs is another very important thing to consider. Just to do a service on the 2 engines, assuming they ran good could easily be $1000.

  65. #65Koehring_Researcher2022-06-06 08:01

    yeah, getting the okay from the owner is my #1 priority. However, a large problem is that even though the owner used to come to the property all the time, they haven’t been there for a little over 2 years. I’ve been doing a lot of research on the property to try to find something about who owns it, but I don’t even know what the gravel pit operation that used to be active there was called, much less the name of the land owner. I’m still searching though.

  66. #66Koehring_Researcher2022-06-06 08:08

    Also, can anyone help me try to identify or recognize the certain swing motor(s) used for the turntable/swivel that are seen in this picture? I don’t know the brand name, nor can I find anything online that looks like a close match to these. Either that, or if someone is familiar with the 1266 D and knows, from experience with one, the brand of swing motor that was/is most commonly used in this model, I’d be very happy. I am unable to go there to try to look for a tag or label that may still be readable, as I broke my ankle 2 weeks back, and it will be quite a while before I can get back to the site safely. If someone could help me with the identifying of these, I’d be very thankful.

  67. #67Koehring_Researcher2022-06-06 08:58

    Or either some suggestions for new swing motors that can work for this excavator, or the specifications for the excavator that applies to its current swing motors/the swing motors you are familiar with this particular Koehring model if you’ve operated/operate/are familiar with this model.

  68. #68colson042022-06-06 13:57

    Look up your county plat maps online. That will show who the owner of the property is. Most counties in Michigan have that available online. Then with a little looking around, you can find contact information. That stuff is easier to find than you think. What county in Michigan are you in?

  69. #69Koehring_Researcher2022-06-06 14:26

    thanks for the suggestion! That should definitely help!

  70. #70Koehring_Researcher2022-06-06 14:32

    The location of this machine is in an old gravel pit on the corner of Newman Rd. And Drahner Rd.

  71. #71Koehring_Researcher2022-06-06 14:35

    I even tried the maps app on my phone to try to get the address of the place, bc another gravel pit did. This one doesn’t.

  72. #72Welder Dave2022-06-06 17:24

    What ever swing motors they are, they'd probably cost in the neighborhood of $10k or more. You seem dead set on this machine and I think it's clouding your judgement. The machine is too big, too expensive to move and not desirable in the least. Fixing up any old well worn machine can be an exercise in frustration and deplete your finances in short order but this big old Koehring would magnify that 10 fold. You're guessing on what's wrong with it and you can't just replace hyd. pumps and swing motors with common off the shelf items. You need to keep reminding yourself that it could cost $100K to restore this giant beast to good working condition. Many parts are probably impossible to find. Look for an older Hitachi or Cat or other popular brand in the 200 size or smaller if you're considering fixing up an older excavator. Have you told your parents about your plans with this machine? If so what are their thoughts?

  73. #73colson042022-06-06 20:03

    That ol girl sure dug one big hole in her life.

  74. #74ianjoub2022-06-06 20:14

    ... and don't worry researcher. No one is going to try to steal it out from under you.

  75. #75skyking12022-06-06 20:18
  76. #76JD955SC2022-06-06 20:38

    Drag it closer to the road and a tweaker with a sawzall and a clapped out Toyota will have it gone in one night

  77. #77skyking12022-06-06 20:55

    I wonder how fast we'd have to drag it to pull-start it?

  78. #78ianjoub2022-06-06 20:57

    I have the strap. Do you have a Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10 to pull it with???

  79. #79skyking12022-06-06 21:15

    you just need those 12" wide tires to get 'er dun.

  80. #80Welder Dave2022-06-06 22:15

    I wonder if it had the help of other machines like a dragline to dig that hole? If not it's done some serious work and has a lot of hours. If that's all it did since new explains why it looks decent visually.

  81. #81skyking12022-06-06 22:44

    It was probably one guy's baby. It makes all the difference.

  82. #82Bumpsteer2022-06-06 22:51

    Nope, it was probably broke down most of the time...... Ed

  83. #83Tones2022-06-07 04:05

    I know a bloke who did a resto on a rearer beast than this beast, a UH12 Hitachi. It is totally Hitachi including the engine, pumps and hydraulic motors. Everything is in full working order as new. Sure it's a little smaller but it can be done.

  84. #84Koehring_Researcher2022-06-07 07:34

    i probably should have pointed this out, but I’m not going to buy any of these parts, at least not for a while. My plan of attack for this is to 1.) get the okay from whoever owns it, 2.) Buy a new ignition mechanism and ignition key and get it wired, 3.) Do a complete, and thorough inspection to make sure no parts are missing, 4.) Try to get it to start without doing any replacing of parts except for the new ignition and key. If it does start, then I’ll go back into the engine compartment, and do another inspection to make sure things are looking alright. (Though I may actually need to replace the oil/fuel/other filters before starting it, as I don’t want to cause any (more) internal damage (than there may already be).

  85. #85Koehring_Researcher2022-06-07 07:42

    I now regret telling where it is.

  86. #86Koehring_Researcher2022-06-07 07:43

    Also, I don’t think anyone would be able to get it out, seeing as on the edge of the property is a fire station.

  87. #87Koehring_Researcher2022-06-07 07:48

    Funny. Also I know that the person that does own the property is not very nice about people being there, much less taking something that size. I know people that have been chased off the property by the owner before.

  88. #88Koehring_Researcher2022-06-07 07:51

    please tell me you’re just messing with me. I have an entire plan for my career and it depends on getting this excavator. I already have a website put together for when I have my company started

  89. #89Koehring_Researcher2022-06-07 08:02

    Also, I’ve told people that I know about my plan for restoring this, and most just laugh and they don’t believe in me. This is one of the first times in my life that I can prove those people wrong, that I can do something that actually matters. I’m tired of people just laughing at the idea of me doing something like this! No matter how long it takes, even if it takes years upon years for me to accomplish, I am going to do it.

  90. #90Steve Favia2022-06-07 08:20

    Good luck, I find this thread interesting!

  91. #91ianjoub2022-06-07 09:12

    Yes, we are just kidding around. We all wish you the best of luck. It is more of trying to let you know what you are getting into so you can be better prepared if you choose to go forward with the project.

  92. #92Joel592022-06-07 09:34

    Here is my thought, bud. I teach school for a living (and play with equipment on the side), and admire your tenacity and willingness to learn about equipment. I too, have those same attributes- and have since I was your age. It is an awesome adventure you are getting into, and one that will serve you well in many aspects of life. No one wants to discourage you, but we all have a great deal of experiences in doing and feeling exactly what you do right now. Take that drive and willingness to learn and find a machine of suitable size to start up your operation. Start with something you can move with your first pickup truck, and before you know it, you will be upgrading and successful! Then you can do whatever you desire. Having drive and motivation get lost without a sense of reality and a willingness to listen to others with real-life experience.

  93. #93JD955SC2022-06-07 10:09

    none of us are going to jack this thing from under you I’m not trying to throw cold water on your dream (I became a heavy equipment mechanic because I always had a passion for heavy equipment since I was a little kid) but this excavator is not something you throw a normal lowboy under and move. It will take several days to set up and break down for each move, a crane truck, help and lots of back breaking work.

  94. #94Koehring_Researcher2022-06-07 10:28

    oh trust me, I have no intention of moving this thing somewhere else, unless the owner wants it moved when I talk to them. I think a good revision of my plan is to talk to the owner, acquire ownership of it, and get my company started ASAP, so when I have a building for my company, I’ll have somewhere to move it to once I’m able to afford to get it disassembled and transported. Most likely THEN I’ll start the work on it. Though, maybe not. Still working parts out

  95. #95Koehring_Researcher2022-06-07 10:29

    Though, I have a feeling the owner isn’t going to care at all about where it is, whether it’s moved or if it stays where it is, because they’ve left it in the same spot for 17 years.

  96. #96Joel592022-06-07 10:36

    Until someone shows interest. Then it has value.

  97. #97colson042022-06-07 15:01

    It has value today. Koehring1266 weighs 375,000 pounds +/-. Scrap is around $200 a long ton (2,240 pounds). Scrap value is approximately $33,000 for entire machine to junk it all. The KT450s are worth $10,000 to $15,000 each, if they run. Blocks are worth $3000 each bare, cranks worth $2500. Fuel pumps, turbos, heads, camshafts, etc all have used part values. Pull the engines to sell separately, and the scrap the rest. Or part out the big pieces. This machine could gross $45,000 to $70,000 to a salvage yard. Probably worth $20,000 or so to the owner to sell to a breaker.

  98. #98Koehring_Researcher2022-06-07 15:06

    I found one online worth either $70,000 or $80,000. I’m not interested only in getting one of these, I want to experience bringing it back to life. But that’s a lot of money though.

  99. #99JD955SC2022-06-07 15:19

    you won’t know the meaning of “a lot of money” until you start pouring it into this boat ship anchor. The one you are looking at is pretty much part out and scrap worth. It’s not a production machine. The brand is long, long dead, as surely are parts so your only options are finding NOS or used parts or generic parts.

  100. #100Welder Dave2022-06-07 15:38

    You need to do a reality check! Even if you could put fresh diesel in it and both engines would start right up, you can't start it. If there's water or any contamination in the hyd. reservoir, starting it for even a couple minutes could cause catastrophic damage. Nobody wants to burst your bubble but for all intents and purposes this is not the machine to pursue unless it was to try and sell it it for parts and/or scrap it. A 1980 Bucyrus Erie 300H hyd. excavator (not desirable the same as the 1266D) sold for $6000cad. at an RB auction here about 8 or so years ago and it was in very good running condition and looked well cared for. You would be better off with something like that if you wanted a cheap old excavator. It would cost you way more than that just to move a 130 ton+ behemoth. Here is a 1266D that was sold at auction. Take a look at the pic. of the trailer it is being hauled on and note this is less boom, track frames and counterweight. It would take a fair size crew to dismantle and reassemble it on the job site. These would have to be experienced mechanics and good mechanics don't come cheap. You'd want to have someone like Nige overseeing it. It wouldn't surprise me if the truck and trailer to haul it cost well in excess of $1000/hr. Selling parts off it and scrapping the rest would be the ONLY viable option. Just to pull the engines would require a crane or picker truck and they aren't cheap. If you contacted the owner/land owner and told them your plans you can bet they would want you to either buy it or give them a percentage of what you sold it for or what parts of it sold for. They may give you a time limit to have it moved as well. Just because it sat there for nearly 20 years doesn't mean that if someone wanted to try and fix it, they would be allowed to keep it there indefinitely. The land owner may want it moved ASAP because they didn't want the expense of moving it themselves. Another problem even if the engines ran would be finding a buyer(s) for them. The same goes for other parts. If you could get it hauled to a Ritchie Bros. auction someone would buy it either for scrap or maybe the engines or other specific parts. That is about the only viable option but I still don't think it's worth pursuing any more. Your energies and money would be much better spent looking for something much smaller and more easily moved. You also haven't answered any of my previous questions like what your parents think of your pursuing this machine. You can ignore me and think I'm just a downer but if you were to take a poll I'd bet 99% of the members on here would recommend you leave this machine and look for something smaller and more manageable. Koehring 1266 D Excavator | S105 | Renfrew 2017 (mecum.com)

  101. #101Welder Dave2022-06-07 16:44

    You're young and full of **** and vinegar but you have to come back to reality. Trying to resurrect this machine is not financially viable. Even a millionaire who used to run one for living would not spend the money to bring this machine back to life for sentimental value. It's not about proving people wrong, it's about realizing just how much it will cost, tripling or quadrupling that amount and then ending up with a very expensive obsolete chunk of iron. Your thinking about a seat and ignition system. That's minor. It will cost you more to get new filters and change the oil. It probably takes a couple hundred gallons of hyd. oil that will need to be changed. The engines take a lot of oil too. Then there's antifreeze, new hyd. hoses, cylinder repacking, etc. etc. etc. the list goes on and on. This machine IS NOT WORTH TRYING TO BRING BACK TO LIFE!!! Anyone that tells you otherwise has rocks in their head. Scrapping it may be the only option but even that would cost thousands and thousands of dollars. You'd need a crane of some sort and oxygen and acetylene or propane. Even the tools required to take things apart would cost hundreds of dollars. Big machines need big tools. Look for something else in running condition and much smaller.

  102. #102JD955SC2022-06-07 18:36

    I’d personally start with a skid steer and a mini ex. Reasons being much more affordable and available parts, much easier to move, much more applicable to residential tasks, much less fuel costs. You can do a lot of work on them without a crane and huge tools. It’ll be much easier to find part time work for starting out, and will be useful no matter what your company grows into- you will always need them.

  103. #103Welder Dave2022-06-07 19:05

    I replaced a wheel motor in a 4800lb. skid steer and it cost about $2200cad. A hyd. component on that 1266D could easily add a zero to that figure. If the boom cylinders or any cylinders needed repacking would be a major job just to get them out and/or apart. To have them resealed could cost thousands. What if the chrome needs re-done, etc. He has lots of ambition but needs to focus more on reality. He probably thinks I'm being way too harsh but I'm trying to prevent him from making a huge mistake.

  104. #104skyking12022-06-07 22:04

    I wish you were closer, researcher. You need to apprentice for someone. If I were in your boots I would start asking about the operating engineers school near you.

  105. #105Koehring_Researcher2022-06-08 10:15

    i definitely don’t plan on getting started with this machine/working with it first. I do plan on starting with one of the small options, but I’ll need to get ownership of this machine as soon as I can, because idk what plans the owner has for it, and I don’t want to risk losing any and all chances of getting it by waiting for several years while getting my business started if I could’ve gotten ownership of it before. When I do talk with the owner, I’ll ask about a price, and if I can get ownership of it then, also ask about permission to have it stay where it is until I can get it moved.

  106. #106Koehring_Researcher2022-06-08 10:21

    trust me, I do understand where you’re coming from, and I agree that I probably should face the reality of this, but a situation like this is like a once in a lifetime opportunity for me (I mean that in terms of how large of a machine it is, as well as the fact that it doesn’t look to have any severe rust damage on any of the parts that are in the engine/pump/hose compartment, nor does there look to be any, and I mean ANY, parts missing from this machine other than from the cab). I have no intention of giving up on this without at least trying. If I can’t get ownership of it from the current owner, then that will be that.

  107. #107Koehring_Researcher2022-06-08 10:28

    Also, I’m not buying any parts yet, I don’t plan on buying anything until I’m sure it’s a good time to start the work as well as after inspecting and identifying what needs replacement. I’m only doing research to find parts online, for when I do the inspecting and need a replacement for something. I gotta be prepared for when, or honestly, IF I can go through with my plan.

  108. #108Joel592022-06-08 10:45

    From experience, sometimes just finding the owner can just about prove impossible. Bankruptcy court, tax obligations on land, liens on equipment and so on can muddy the waters more than you realize.

  109. #109Welder Dave2022-06-08 16:28

    It's impossible to tell the condition of any internal components without running the machine. That the pumps still have paint on them and don't look too old doesn't really tell you anything. The pumps are inside the engine compartment and protected from the elements for the most part. It has the old style undercarriage, did you examine that or take pics. of it? It would be astronomical to have to replace if parts could even be found. Everything on this machine would be mega expensive to repair, everything. That's why I think you would be much better off saving your money and looking for something smaller. Nobody is going to come along and scoop the machine out from under you but you can bet that there are other people who know of this machine. If there was any interest it would have been gone years ago. The fire dept. close by are not the guardians of this machine. They could care less about it.

  110. #110Vetech632022-06-08 17:22

    I want to know where the funding for this project is coming from for a 16 year old. You will sink more into this than what a college education will cost

  111. #111Welder Dave2022-06-09 03:23

    And have nothing to show for it!

  112. #112Tones2022-06-09 03:32

    But young enough to get over it if it turns to custard and marks it up to one of life's experiences.

  113. #113Welder Dave2022-06-09 13:47

    Good thing he doesn't live in Ohio and came across Big Muskie. The odds of bringing the Koehring back to life are about the same. Big Muskie was actually in good working condition when it was parked.

  114. #114ianjoub2022-06-09 14:49

    Just watched a youtube vid on that a day ago or so. They said it was $700k in scrap.

  115. #115Welder Dave2022-06-09 14:55

    I thought it was more than that but maybe that's what the scrappers paid for it?

  116. #116Koehring_Researcher2022-06-10 07:11

    believe me, I 100% understand where you’re coming from. But I have a plan (some parts are still being worked on, but it’s coming together, however slowly that may be). I get that I would need money in order to do this, so I won’t do any buying for new parts or anything like that until I’m able to afford those things and still have money to live off of. Now, as for getting those parts, I have a system. While I understand that it will be nearly impossible to find original parts for this online, or anywhere, at a price that isn’t super high, it may be possible for some of the smaller parts. And if it isn’t, then that’s what cross references are for. I can compare the stats, details, and requirements for proper function to modern parts that I can use as replacements. It will take a while, but it’s possible. But, like I said a bit ago: I’ll try to start it if I’m allowed to, and if it runs, I’ll do what I can with it. If it doesn’t run, then that’s that.

  117. #117Welder Dave2022-06-10 14:00

    Answer a couple important questions. Be realistic with your answers and then we can tell you if you're at least in the ballpark. How much money do you have right now and what is your budget just to see if the machine will run? Are you prepared to forfeit ALL the money you invested into this project if it turns out to be futile? These are probably the biggest things you have to be concerned about right now.

  118. #118Koehring_Researcher2022-07-10 13:33

    Apologies for such a late response to your messages. I’ve been focused on getting my ankle healed, as well as other parts of life. I’m the time since the last message I posted here, I’ve mostly come to terms with the reality of this, and doing any further research on this will most likely just be a waste of my time.

  119. #119skyking12022-07-10 13:45

    yes but, it is still cool and thank you for the pictures and it is OK to dream. If you want to be an operator, the Operating Engineers training center is only 52 miles away from there at Howell. Give that a good thought. You can make a good living with benefits that travel with you from job to job, retirement, good medical. https://www.oe324.org/training/ You can also take 10 years to get journeyed out and trained on all sorts of equipment, and be in a better place to have your own business. You can't afford to buy experience, but you can afford to get paid for it.

  120. #120Welder Dave2022-07-10 14:15

    Always neat to see pics. of older machines and wonder about their history and the stories they could tell.

  121. #121Tones2022-07-10 17:47

    Good on you researcher, well thought out. If you still have an interest in restoring old equipment there's plenty historical equipment clubs/societies where you could volunteer your time and in return gain a heap of knowledge and some of that knowledge is applicable on modern day equipment.

  122. #122Koehring_Researcher2023-07-04 01:56

    Well hello again! I know it’s been a while lol. Just wanted to post a bit of an update. Plans have been set and are in motion for me to go to college for heavy equipment repair! Can’t wait to start it. Also, an update on the old Koehring: definitely could be better. You can barely even see it now, there’s so much overgrowth around it. Hell, there’s plants growing up and into the thing! I can’t say for certain anymore that this thing is worth recovering, but still: if I get my chance with this piece of history, I won’t let it slip from me. Hope you all are doing well!

  123. #123Welder Dave2023-07-04 02:30

    You need to let it go. It never was worth recovering except for scrap value. Good luck on your heavy equipment repair courses. They will give you a better idea of how much would be involved in bringing a long sitting dead machine back to life.

  124. #124JD955SC2023-07-04 06:41

    The heavy equipment mechanic plan is a solid way to go. What route did you decide to take? I have some information on a good way to go for that career path.

  125. #125Ohooerator7772026-08-24 22:10

    Please film a walk around video of the koehring. Whatever you do don’t let it get scrapped! This one of under 10 left in the entire world. Please send me a text at 727-277-5313 with any information of a 1166 1266 or 1466 still standing I am actively looking. The last of something is a very big deal.

  126. #126Welder Dave2026-08-25 03:49

    He hasn't been back on the forum in 3 years.

  127. #127Ohooerator7772026-08-29 14:25

    Probably because the morons on here wouldn’t stop talking **** to him. Everyone knows a 15 year old isn’t going to resurrect a 1266.

  128. #128AMBMike2026-08-29 15:22

    Welcome to the forum @Ohooerator777 ! Hopefully you'll stay here and involve yourself in the civil discourse we all enjoy. I'm sure you have a lot to add.

  129. #129Ohooerator7772026-08-29 15:58

    I’m trying to locate a 1266 or 1466 koehring still standing today anywhere in the us if anyone in here knows of one please message me on here or text me at 7272775313

  130. #130Welder Dave2026-08-29 16:09

    It was unrealistic to think about bringing that 1266 back. Nobody was talking **** to him. Just trying to point out out how expensive it would it would be with nothing to show for it in the end. There's a reason Koehring is no longer making excavators. All the pictures were great. If the kid was 15 he was old enough to try and reason with, he wasn't 6.

  131. #131Deere500a2026-08-29 16:51

    1985 Koehring 1466 Excavator - Vehicle Selling Solutions FSBO Vehicles - Omaha, Nebraska 68105

  132. #132Deere500a2026-08-29 16:53
  133. #133Ohooerator7772026-08-29 18:07

    Koehring isn’t making excavators anymore because the corporate suits who ran the company, ran it into the ground and it was sold for penny’s in the dollar. They were trying to be a big conglomerate instead of sticking to what they knew. Part of their downfall was They bought and tried to manage a company in Germany before the invention of email or fax. The different parts of the company were sold and whoever ended up with the excavator portion I think terex stopped production.

  134. #134Ohooerator7772026-08-29 18:10
  135. #135LCA0782026-08-29 20:31

    The good news is you have the exact same coordinates the younger fella earlier. Should be straight forward to find owner of the land and make a few phone calls or send an old school letter to the contact info. I'm sure the only thing that's changed is the trees that are fencing in that hoe are thicker and the hoe is another inch deeper.

  136. #136Welder Dave2026-08-30 19:34

    Very interesting about the same coordinates?? Koehring excavators with air over hydraulic controls are old and obsolete and couldn't compete with modern excavators. I've heard they were powerful but quite slow. There was a company here that ran 2 866's but can't remember the letter after. D or E I think. I think they were the last models Koehring made. As was discussed earlier, even if you found a 1266 or 1466 moving it would be a very expensive and challenging project. Pictures would be great though. There is heavy equipment museum near me that has a good running older 1066 with a 12V-71 Detroit. They had to go through and repair all the air lines that were degraded and ruined from the sun. They also had to have the bucket cylinder resealed but a construction company that supports the museum paid for the reseal. The same museum has 2 Hopto 1900's. One is a special high walker that they got running. There's video's online. It has 2 8V-71 Detroit engines. There is also the pipe frame work to raise it another 10' off the ground for river crossings. That frame work is 30' wide so the excavator can straddle the spoil piles from a trencher that goes before it.

  137. #137Ohooerator7772026-08-30 20:05

    I’m well aware how much of a pain it is to move one. I have the resources and the money to do so. I’m going to do a full restore on either a 1266 or 1466 or both. It’s pretty straight forward to convert them to pilot controls. 12v71s are easy to rebuild, at that point it’s just about replacing hydraulic lines. I can retro fit cat cylinders if I need to. Only reply to my posts with info or leads on finding a machine please

  138. #138Ohooerator7772026-08-30 20:07

    Does anyone on here know what happened to this machine? It’s in the best shape of any I’ve seen

  139. #139Welder Dave2026-08-30 22:41

    You're on a public forum. You don't get to dictate who replies to your posts. If you want to restore a 1266 or 1466 great. I think most would wish they had that kind of money because it won't be cheap. It would be cool to see one operate though. The museum near me just got an original Cat 245 donated by a large contractor. It runs like a top. It has 32,000 hours so has probably been rebuilt a couple times but is in excellent condition and obviously well cared for. They also donated a 1974 American 5299 crane in very good condition.