Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The biggest little machine

Squizzy246B ยท 2006-04-08 07:52

They claim its the world biggest Skid?? You don't realise how big it is until you see it next to an RC 100.

Replies64
  1. #1Squizzy246B2006-04-08 08:04

    Checking around "world's biggest skid steer" it seems Gehl still claim their machine is the No 1 but the Sally does it by 75lbs (3675 lbs) and 5 hp (115hp), lift height appears identical at 142". Big anyways. I think I'd rather buy a small loader.

  2. #2Squizzy246B2006-04-11 07:59

    But it turns out that Gehl and Mustang are the same thing and they have the same specs now and the only difference is the paint job........ Bloody Globilisation:bash

  3. #3miKe F.2006-10-16 23:19

    that is one big honkin skidsteer.......

  4. #4Countryboy2006-10-16 23:23

    The tires on the first one would be good in the soft stuff.:yup

  5. #5Dwan Hall2006-10-17 01:20

    I got them beat. My 975's were rated at working load of 3700 lb with a tiping poad of 7400 lb then Bobcat came out with the 980 for a few years with a working load of 4000 and a tiping load of 8000 lb's the 980 had a cummins for power and the 975 had a deer rated @ 85 hp. I have replaced my deer motor with a torbo dear rated at 125 hp. The 974 had the same load rating but with a lesser rated perkins @ 65 hp. I have had 2 of my machines sence the early 80's and wish Bobcat would re introduce these as it is time I got new one. The tires are 1500 X 19.5 Sure like to see if those machines are still running after 25 years.

  6. #6Squizzy246B2006-10-17 06:54

    So Dwan do you sweep the ice for the skaters??

  7. #7Jeff D.2006-10-17 10:26

    I see Dwan has siped(?) tires on his. The siping seems to help alot on slippery pavement. I've had some semi tires siped when they've had traction problems, and it makes a difference. It's kinda neat to see how they do it too.

  8. #8Dwan Hall2006-10-17 13:33

    Yes to both posts. I have been known to sweep off an ice skating area. It don't work for sh** with a wire broom but plastic works if it is real cold. And the siped tires work a lot better on ice then anyother method I have tried.

  9. #9Ford LT-90002006-10-18 01:32

    Man thats a big skid I never seen bobcat machine that size 763s is the largest I ever ran.

  10. #10HeyUvaVT2007-01-19 21:24

    that stang looks like a cartoon character...makes the asv look small tho... have an RC100 with the forestry kit on it and its no small potato!

  11. #11OzDozer2007-01-19 23:38

    Squizzy - That Mustang 2109 sure is a beast of a skid-steer .. sort of reminds me of the old LeTourneau wheeldozers! .. Here's a pic of the beast again, at Dowerin Field Days, August 2006 ..

  12. #122109 Stang2007-01-26 23:28

    My biggest little machine I've had this machine for a year and Im very pleased with it

  13. #13Squizzy246B2007-01-27 03:25

    Goodo Stang, welcome to the forum, Thanks for the pics...I'd like to hear more of the 2109. The dealer here fits the balloons mainly to increase the ground clearance in the soft stuff. Thats a nice truck too...more details please..is it yours?

  14. #14DigDug2007-01-27 07:47

    2109stang- What does that baby sell for? I like it! doug

  15. #152109 Stang2007-01-27 09:08

    Squizzy the machine is a monster to much power ,I never tought I would say that ,well Ill get back to you guys latter got to go.

  16. #162109 Stang2007-01-27 15:35

    Dig Dug that machine goes for around 50k ,I spec the machine with every little option they had, but I would have to wait too long to get it ,they found this one with every thing but ride control so I took it right away ,its got 115 hp perkins, and if you look at the picture loading the truck ,the only other machine that can reach over that truck around here it's a Case 590 super M backhoe and the mustang still clears the side of the truck about 5 inches higher than the backhoe ,it takes 1 cubic yard on every load and goes at 13 mph at wot on high gear. I got it a year a go and I can't still get over it yet ,everytime I find an excuse to jump on it I'll take it.

  17. #17DigDug2007-01-27 15:49

    Thanks, that thing is nice .

  18. #18DigDug2007-01-27 15:53

    After looking on ebay for Mustang 2109's and Bobcat 975's , I saw this 975 manual at .99cents. Just in case Dwan is interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/Bobcat-975-Service-manual-Parts-Manual-Owners-

  19. #19DigDug2007-01-27 15:58

    Dont know where to get the right address to get to a ebay listing. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260078652993&fromMakeTrack=true

  20. #20Dwan Hall2007-01-27 21:38

    Thanks Dig Dug but I already have a few copys. Whenever I buy any machinery the first thing I do is buy manuals for them. It always pays off.

  21. #21DigDug2007-01-28 08:39

    Ok, I like to get the manuals also. Makes the machine feel complete.

  22. #22Tigerotor77W2007-01-31 19:35

    How is this for big skid-steer tires?

  23. #23CM19952007-01-31 20:41

    Tigerotor- Did you snap that pic at World of Concrete? If so I saw the same machine. It looked like the tires would rub together. But it is a best of a skidsteer.

  24. #24Tigerotor77W2007-02-01 13:45

    D'oh, shoulda mentioned: I didn't take that picture. I got it from a friend.

  25. #25mtb3452007-03-29 16:15

    best of skid steers who makes the best skid steer with tracks

  26. #26CM19952007-03-29 16:55

    I have 2 bobcat track machines a T250 and T190 and both are good machines. The T250 is very powerful and has good balance for fine grading. Parts are expensive compared to Cat - that should say something. The Bobcat dealer treated my right by replacing both final drives on the T250 when one failed. Come to find out it was a factory recall but my machine was over a few hours of the recall requirements- anyway they took care of me. I have demo'd a Takeuchi TL150 and a Mustang tracked equivalent, which are both the same machines - Takeuchi makes both as well as the Gehl track machines. They are strong powerful machines as well and the A/C works better in the Takeuchi than in the bobocat but I like the cab and front door better on the Bobcat. The edge goes to Takeuchi on undercarraige design over the Bobcat although I haven't had a Takeuchi to run a couple 100 hours to compare - that is just my opinion. I would purchase either of these machines if I needed to add one. I think the two best MTL are Bobcat and Takeuchi. I am a Cat guy when it comes to larger stuff but the Cat skid-steers and MTL's are not up to par. Also demo'd a Komatsu MTL and it was a strong machine but the hydraulics whined loudly under load and the controls did not seem as "refined" as the Bobcat or Takeuchi. I did not demo any other brands, as far as I am concerned the four mentioned above were the only ones worth demo'ing. :my2c

  27. #27Rocket2007-03-29 21:22

    Them tires are for floatin'. Someone outta tell Mark O.

  28. #28CEwriter2007-04-10 11:11

    Stang, Compared to smaller skid steers, how does the big 'stang do on tire life? Larry

  29. #292109 Stang2007-04-10 22:35

    Larry :I've only have 270 hrs on the machine and I'll guess that I can get another 100 to 150 hrs on this tires ,I dont know the life expentancy of the smaller machine tires ,but I do have to say ,I could've probably get twice that many hrs (700 hrs maybe?) ,if I didn't have the amount of pavement time that I've put on those tires ,don't know how many miles I have on them but Im sure there is alot of miles on them , I have driven this machine 3 to 4 miles from home many times ,not wanting to wait for my towing truck ,wich I know is a big mistake ,but oh well the damage is allready done .

  30. #30CEwriter2007-04-11 11:42

    Is the pavement time mostly in transport mode, then, or are does the machine also do work on paved surfaces some significant portion of time? I'm just curious. When I put the weight of that machine its load capacity together with its wheelbase, it makes me think it must be awfully hard on tires. But maybe if you're working in sand a lot of the time, it's not a problem? Thanks, L

  31. #31thejdman042007-07-10 20:41

    Thats a big one great pics

  32. #32Squizzy246B2007-07-11 02:30

    CE, in the first post of this thread you will see the first pic of the 2109 with sand tyres as commonly fitted around here...the 2nd pic shows the stock wheels and tyres. I was at the dealers not so long ago and they have sold 7 or 8. Given most of our West Coast work is sand most of those machines have the Tomcat tyres fitted.

  33. #332109 Stang2007-07-11 10:44

    CE my appologies for all the time that has gone since your last post ,I belive you are right on your observation ,I think Im going to get around 400 hrs on this set of tires and about 20% of those has been in asphalt mostly loading trucks and transporting it ,Im looking for a better tire when need to replace but the ones that people recomend must are around $600 each the set that came with I think it goes for like around $300 each ,a friend has a Case 465 witch weight is almost the same as the 2109 and his got the expensive ones and he says they las 3 to 4 times more than the set the original ,so far the machine has little over 300 hrs .

  34. #34TALLRICK2007-07-20 23:33

    Don't know about the big machines, but I know that you will get less tire life in the Florida Keys because you are always on rock and asphalt, not dirt, sand or grass. One local 763 I have been servicing has only been able to get 300 hours on tires, wearing down to smooth. Those tiny Keys lots mean a lot of turning, and your tires end up scraped all over the place. I am often amazed how many black marks are left at jobs sites.

  35. #35BobCatMan2007-07-21 10:17

    Ouch

  36. #36bluntman410g2008-11-20 20:39

    THATS HUGE!

  37. #37BIGBEN20042008-12-12 11:08

    They are even more impressive with a set of Logerian track systems. They are almost unstoppable.

  38. #38jonathan7342008-12-12 11:38

    Any body got any pics of a 2109 with the VTS track system. That could be my next skid steer. The engine bay looks like it sticks out so far that going up inclines could be a real pain.

  39. #39positrack2008-12-12 18:38

    briliant machine we got one in place of asv 4810 ,for mulching it has more power ,more visability ,more comfort, lifts more,more stable,prestart check are easy everything is got to from the rear .

  40. #40positrack2008-12-12 18:47

    how about this one boys

  41. #41WhyWhyZed2008-12-12 23:38

    at the homesteaders museum grounds in Fargo, ND they have an old Melroe Skid Steer that is huge. It has twin international diesel engines and a D9 blade. It was apparently used for strip mining coal.

  42. #42CM19952008-12-12 23:54

    Umm... same as post 23?:beatsme

  43. #43Sparffo2009-03-07 01:44

    I would really like to know more about this machine!

  44. #44special tool2009-03-07 09:22

    Hey Sparffo - in your videos, you have a push bar and a tile stripper on the 463. Are you able to rent such attachments for the little machine there, or did you buy these and make the bar?

  45. #45WhyWhyZed2009-03-07 09:25

    here's the place it "lives" http://www.bonanzaville.org You'll see they have the "Melroe Tractor Building" under buildings...... can't find a picture of the huge skid steer, but 2 of them are in there. If you are ever in Fargo, go there. The have a pic of this Steiger under artifacts http://www.bonanzaville.com/admin/gallery_show_image.php?image_id=120

  46. #46aglandcattleman2009-08-09 19:16

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk3toDbNKwI

  47. #47aglandcattleman2009-08-09 19:18

    above link is a video of a 7810 (2109) with tracks. wow!

  48. #48Shameless2009-08-09 21:55

    Squizzy - A few years back BT Equipment were able to buy a bunch of tires for an F-18 fighter jet and they installed them on the 2109. They call it the 'Jumbo Package'. In the States @ the World of Concrete Show in 2007, Mustang showed the 2109 with massive tires and a big bucket with a young lady from the Las Vegas Entertainment Agency taking pictures and the tires we 52" tall. You could just fit a piece of paper between the tires. If any of you guys from Australia visit a Field Days find Rod Hale with BT and ask him where he got those tires.

  49. #49Shameless2009-08-09 21:59

    Funny - the picture that Positrack posed on page three is of the Mustang 2109 @ the World of Concrete Show in Vegas from 2007 that I mentioned above.

  50. #502109 Stang2009-08-13 23:45

    Guys I've got a couple of pictures here ,but I don't know how post pictures ,can one of you guys please do it for me so every body can see them? http://photos.tradeholding.com/attach/hash68/79428/mustang_pic_4x.jpg http://www.forconstructionpros.com/interactive/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/gehl150thmachine_side.jpg

  51. #51Shameless2009-08-14 08:31

    2109 Stang - looks like you got them there. The Mustang pic was actually taken by a friend of mine at a Farm show in Pennsylvania back in 2004. The attachment on the front is a fixed mounted post driver. The customer had the tires special made so that he could get clearance over the rocky terrain. That unit is a joystick control and was clocked @ 22mph in high speed. The main thing to remember was not to click the button to drop back to low speed or it would nose over and give you a good jolt. The Gehl 7810 is the 150-year unit chromed out. Those units definitely get a lot of looks at shows!

  52. #52Dwan Hall2009-08-14 11:24

    Rummer has it that Bobcat is coming out with a 400series in the M class later this year. wheeled unit will weigh in around 10,000 with a working range of 4,000 tipping @ 8,000. The track model will release early next summer. I suspect the wheel unit will share a few of the parts with my 975 machines. Sure will be nice to have a new bobcat on steroids again.

  53. #53CEwriter2009-08-14 12:25

    for 2109Stang Jeepers! How much clearance is between the front and rear tires?

  54. #54dirt digger2009-08-14 13:04

    looks like Ag Progress Days in State College PA...that takes place in the township I used to work for when I plowed snow...memories....

  55. #55Stick Pro2009-08-14 13:07

    Can't wait for bobcat to come out with that machine. Our 963 is just about ready for retirement, I have ran the mustang I was not real impressed with it. Pluss our mustang dealership closed there doors not to long ago, getting parts would be hard.

  56. #562109 Stang2009-08-14 16:50

    Stick Pro: I understand the brand loyalty thing here ,but this Mustang is miles ahead in every aspect of the 963 ,and I'm sure it has out sold all the 9 series ever built by Bobcat ,I got to confess that I like the 963 but it doesn't compare to the 2109 in any category .:drinkup

  57. #572109 Stang2009-08-14 16:53

    Thanks CEwriter for posting the picture.

  58. #58Sparffo2009-08-21 06:30

    I wouldn't like to be in it when it starts bouncing around

  59. #59unclejoe2009-10-17 09:37

    I like the size but I am smalltime and must stay with the smaller fixeruppers.

  60. #60steponmebbbboom2010-02-11 20:14

    bobcat 980, the biggest ever, check the planetary final drives...

  61. #61CEwriter2010-02-11 22:33

    Melroe MultiWheel monster WhyWhyZed, Is this the mining machine to which you referred? The signboard at the museum in Fargo said this 200,000-pound machine is fitted with a 26-foot wide blade built for moving coal. All eight wheels are power driven by a pair of 425-hp diesels (one engine for each side). I got to see it when we were doing the M-Series Field Test last fall. I was told this was the biggest Bobcat ever built, but I don't see the planetary finals.

  62. #62WhyWhyZed2010-02-12 09:30

    That's the beast! Thanks for tracking down that photo!

  63. #63alco2010-02-12 15:02

    It looks like it says M-970 on the side. They built a 980 which I think was a newer version and it had the planetaries on it.

  64. #64Sam_French2010-02-13 11:51

    Dwan Hall How do those 15X19.5 tires do in mud? Oh and I have to ask. Could you post some more pics please? That is a NICE machine you have. Thank You Sam French