Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The case of the missing quick-coupler cross-pins…

Pants · 2026-01-16 00:38

In my recent overhaul efforts, I finally managed to remove the quick-coupler from my aging CAT 307. I've not been able to reach the mfr but think they're still cranking stuff like this out (Hill Engineering, of northern Ireland) and it's 20 years old, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's been orphaned in their records by now anyway. The thing works OK, but rust on the little hydraulic cylinder had reached an epic, layered, flaky level that made it seem it might be near to leaking, so I set about figuring out how to press or beat out the two pins that hold the thing together, thinking I'd sandblast it and coat within an inch of its life before reassembling. And now I'm seriously wondering if there ARE no cross/keeper-pins, though I have no idea what keeps the two main ones in place. They laugh merrily, ringing with resistance at my puny hammer blows and rotary-impact efforts. I've gotten where I can with a needle-scaler, looking for those lost cross-pins or roll pins or whatever might have originally been installed that needs to be driven out first, but there's nothing to be found (I even drilled out something that was SO rusty that it might have just been a big pit in the surface of the boss.) So is it ever the case that these things were actually welded together "permanently?" One of the attached photos (bit of orange clamp is visible, holding the hyd cyl fully extended) shows that even the pin through the little rod-eye can't be extracted without first disassembling the rest of the thing (and even if I did get that one out, that would still be "it" for disassembly, since the two bigger ones would be waiting for me.) I was going to send it out for sandblasting, but not wild about the notion of getting sand driven into the greasy gaps, small as they are. Suggestions?

Replies2
  1. #1Baxsie2026-01-16 11:38

    So you cannot get to the back side of this? Long shot, but you could try repeating your post on their Facebook feed: Hill Engineering | Newry Hill Engineering, Newry. 3,541 likes · 2 talking about this · 18 were here. Manufacturers of the safest quick coupler available today the TEFRA along with the TITAN range of bu www.facebook.com If that is even them.

  2. #2Pants2026-01-16 15:04

    I actually drilled that hole! I don't think anything was clearly visible on this (bottom) side, but from the top, it kinda-sorta looked like it might have been a rusted-to-smithereens roll-pin, or a bolt with all protrusions rusted off, so I thought I'd give it a shot. After a LOT of drilling effort, it didn't change anything - the pin still wouldn't budge. But I like the Facebook route - that's about the only kind of thing that drives me to FB anymore...