So I am out of clever names for my tours/work photo's. So we'll call this the I'm too lazy to think of a good name thread. So I have been slackin lately, haven't posted many pics just a few videos. So lets have at er. They sent me a super dozer for backfill. Anyone ever seen a D11T with a 6 way blade? Me either.... thats because this is a D4H My jobsite's too wet for backfill, so I asked for a small dozer that floats. The answer a D4 with 36" pads. She is a bit tired... kinda gutless but I swear it has the heart of a D11. Get a good wheelbarrow full of dirt in front of her and all you can hear from under the hood is... "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..... nope I can't"
And we have some randoms..... new D6N they brought out for a couple days to play with. Earthworks foreman decided he liked it better than his D85P with 20k hrs on it, so I lost the 6N for a D85. And the back of a 740 Ejector on site, the PC1250.... and my old 973.
Now a couple of me running the 385. I got my friend to take some pics from my 973 since she wanted to try it out for the afternoon. And about me running the 385, I know what your thinking... and no there were no survivors. Oh yeah and my little Link Belt.... I think I have posted a pic of her before. It's our only LB, I got her last year almost brand new with not one scratch in it and only 200hrs. She just clicked over 3000 and they are letting some punk kid run her and she has a ton of dents in her, scratched paint.... and marks on the counterweight... BLASPHEMY
And some track loader shots. My 973 went down so they shipped me out a 963. I was less than impressed. It's unit number is newer than mine, has fewer hours but has had the crap kicked out of it. My 973 had some undercarriage issues this week, had 2 bottom rollers come apart so she went home for a couple days for some work, but she is back in action. I also included the photo's of me effin up. Everyone Loooooves stuck photo's so here is probably the first buried photo of a 973. I cut my way into the ditch to backfill the water turned in and did some work. On my way out backing up the ramp I slid off and its as you see here. Ended up pushin my front bucket with the 312, put some dry behind me and backed out.
ok... how about some more excavator pictures? Well a float showed up the other day, said he was here to steal a 385 from us. Well ok, so they loaded up it and brought us a 375.....:beatsme talk about a downgrade. Next day what else shows up? But a PC750. So on our site we now have a 312B, 330C, 375L, PC750 and PC1250
And the last 750 pics, a pic of my busted 710 on the way out, she blew her rear diff apart completely
And a couple of my Jeep.... she has done some transforming lately. Now has 35" Goodyear MT/R's, new winch, snorkel and more body damage! And maybe if your nice.... a couple more pics of the big orange thing. Which hasn't moved since oct. last year.
More of the big orange thing please!! Why hasent it been used? What is it? 1100?
nice pics you guys have some awesome equipment:drinkup:notworthy
The Little Engine that Could Burnout... what can I say... you're... you're... well... I don't know... amazing. I remember that story as the " Little Blue Train ", but it is actually called " The Little Engine that Could ", had to look it up on Wikipedia to make sure... and I've got the book some where around here... How did you know about that book... I remember reading it when I was a kid... and you can't be older than me... :laugh I don't think so...:cool2... Here's the book... btw... how did you like the 6-way on that 4? Keep up the good work. OCR "amazing" was the best I could do... with out sounding to corny ... :lmao
OCR... yeah I was read that story when I was a kid. You're right I am not older than you...lol in your eyes I am still wet behind the ears. The 6 way on the 4 was pretty good. I actually took it for a rip and tried my hand at finish grade around the jobsite. Apparently in the last 8 months or so I have learned to run trim dozer better than ever before, and I haven't run a trim dozer in ages, unless you work for Sureway and you truly believe that a D8 is a trim dozer like we do. I have some more photo's to post, got tons more of the PC1250, and a few of that sexy old Hitachi 1100 thats parked. And I am being moved to a new jobsite monday for a couple days... apparently they need someone to sit in a D9 for a couple days pushing away from a 385. I will try and get some pics, but its an industrial site so I may not be allowed to take photo's.
Ahhh I didn't feel like waiting till morning.
Some orange photo's... dont seem to post many of those.
I'm 27 and that little blue train and mike mulligan were my favorites when I was little.
Kid books, Trains, and Excavators??? ...:thumbsup I wish I could, I wish I could, I wish I could... remember, but I thought the Little Blue Train pushed The Silver Streamliner up the hill... they are several variations of the story though. And btw... I'm only 59... ... and, I did not hide my age as did some other HEF members...:lmao I did have to get glasses to pass my CDL medical last week though... :OMG The mods. are going to have a hard time with these posts... and mine are starting to get childish anyway...better go...:laugh Take care humboldt deere, OCR...
that is some serious iron, man. really great pictures. Nice jeep too.
Oh come on now, that's not stuck. I mean really, if you can still see the top of the tracks, it isn't stuck. I think stuck doesn't start until there is mud, slop or water coming in the doors. Now, this is stuck! Brian
:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy
Awesome pics Burnout! one heck of an impressive fleet!
Great pics Burnout, I was getting worried that hoeman and I were the only ones with work pics last week, LOL.;-)
Very cool pics. What I need to ask, Is why do none of the machines have thumbs? I hate trying to load big rock, brush and logs without one. I see it looks like a "Dig only" job, but I sure like the convience of the thumb attachment. Another is, I like how they get to move the gear "Complete". Thanks for posting.
Hey alco... trust me I was stuck. About a foot under my tracks is a fresh 12" watermain we just buried. Me wrenchin around in there wouldn't have done much good. They would have deported me to "those crews" up near you with all the other Sureway reprobates. Sharky; No we don't have thumbs here in underground. Infact I only know of one machine with one and thats the 330D they bought last year for earthworks. You're right we are dig only, our division of the company only buries pipe. The other side does more land clearing and cleaning up, but even then... most rocks tend to slide in the bucket of a 85ton and up hoe and turn into small rocks quickly. When we have brush on site it normally gets pushed up into the pile with a dozer and then loaded into a truck and buried in a snake pit 30ft deep. So? anyone ready for the rest of the pics?....lol
I am, Iam :drinkup:notworthy
another nice round of pics.....
Ok, so I got another 40 loaded up so here we go.
So... people like seein 657's, I took some more pics of them.
So.... another 657 shot.... and some 385 stuff.
More... gotta love the pre trenching team, 385 with the big bucket and a D9N!
And I figured this deserved its own reply. I have been workin on my picture taking lately, and I wanted a nice shot of a road grader. Found one of our mine 16H's from our sand plant. Gotta love a 16H with oversized tires. BTW, all equipment in these last 3 or 4 posts, all equipment is on one small subdivision job. 13 657's, 11 40ton ADT's, 4 graders, 3 wheel loaders, 1 tractor backhoe, 3 385's, 1 750 Deere, 1 330C LC, 1 crane, 2 water trucks, 4 D85 Komatsu's, 1 D9N, 3 wheel packers, 4 farm tractors with disk's and packers, 1 grademaster, 2 973's and im sure im forgetting some other crap.
holy crap we dont have that much equipment here on our heavy earthmoving jobs:notworthy
"small subdivision" haha thats a good one:drinkup
It is a small subdivision, it's only 40 lots. A decent one for us is around 150+. This one only has 40 services, a pond and 1400ft of 40ft deep sewer.
Hi there burn out, was wondering whats the story with the tack chains on the d4, seems to have 2 sets of chains, never seen any like that before?
How big are those lots? :beatsme
whats wrong with the great pumpkin,how come she's been parked so long?
Had to go back and look... I saw the same thing on a high track 6 when I was belly dumping for on outfit here in Mt. several years back. I thought they might have welded another set to the original set... but that didn't seem right at all... Never did get it figured out... :beatsme Maybe we will learn something here... it sure seemed odd to me, and I never got a close look. OCR
We use our widepad dozers in the really soft ground and their used on slopes. The extra track chain helps stiffen the shoes so that when you walk a slope it keeps the ends of the pads from deflecting as much. The first time I saw her I was the same way, I couldn't figure it out, but thats the explanation I was given. The lots are fairly decent sized, not too big, not too small. But it's in a high end area, so there is a huge pond for all the storm sewer water, and we are completely stripping the jobsite, taking the grade down a couple feet in some spots and building in others, and then putting a topsoil berm up at the back of the lots, and a marginal berm in front of it. The Hitachi is parked because she is a tired old girl. She is hovering around 30k hrs, needs a lot of work, and they bought it used in Australia at ritchie brothers years ago. And it didn't help her fate when they bought the 2 brand new 1250 Komatsu's this spring.
Well heck Burnout... you went and beat me too it... now I can't show my great ability for reasoning... rofessor... :lmao When I saw that 6, and I think it was an M... had a 6-way on it anyway, I had a vague thought that the second set of chains would help stiffen the the pads... but it looked so odd... I did think they might have just welded another set of pads and rails to the outside of the existing track pads... and then you would have a basic LGP track set up. And, I don't think it would that hard to do either... just take a little welding time. Here's another thought, though... the pins and bushings take a pretty good beating on that wide of a track... cause they run so far of center... they're always subject to a deflecting stress, even in soft ground, which might cause unusual wear on the bushings. If that were to happen... couldn't they be " rotated ", switched from side to side and run on new bushings? That might help even out the wear on the rollers too... Wahda you think?...:beatsme OCR...
OCR.... yeah you could be right. I also thought the same thing once, but never piped up and asked anyone. We have 3 widepad 4's setup that way, 2 6M's, 3 5M's a 5H and the 2 brand new 6N's setup with that feature. I was always intigued by the dual chains because we have probably 6-8 Komatsu D85's that are really widepad machines, but none of them have dual chains. Anyways... more pics. A couple guys seemed interested in how we do deep ditch, so here it is. 4ft concrete storm.
Could anyone have believed me if I said... sometimes a 385 just ain't big enough? Biggest problem with a ditch this deep, you need a 385 to pre trench down around 30ft or so. Another 385 to actually dig for the pipe. And now our crane can't reach far enough to place the pipe, the 330 in the hole has trouble piking pipe up high enough in the hole to swing around, and a 375 wouldn't be able to reach our 30ft to the middle of the ditch. And you still need the 750 and a dozer to pull away from the 385 mainlining. Tis an expensive adventure.
So let me get this straight....... The 385 digs the pre trench, then another 385 comes in and digs the actual trench, then the crane lowers the pipe down to a 330 to hook up pipe???? Then im guessing you come in after the pipe is layed and cover it up , then they pack it and so on and so on?? Very intresing, never seen such deep storm sewer.
I agree with Deere9670, that's some of the deepest storm I've seen. I imgaine the short answer will be no, but I"m gonna ask anyway, lol Could it be cheaper/easier to dig the prebench wider so you had room for the pipe in the hole using trucks with the second 385, or maybe a few 657's instead?
They don't like making the trench too wide for the pipe because you end up moving too much material. Normally when we dig this deep it ends up being a 245 that lowers the pipe in, but the concrete storm is too heavy to reach out that far. The 385 will never crane pipe in. She is for digging only. With the depth of the cuts even digging full wood the pipe crew has some time to sit before the main hoe is finished a cut. Doing this depth of cut they average a pipe every half hour. This is one of the few times we actually use the crane, it sits 50 weeks a year most of the time. It's a '71 Lima and only has 2000hrs on it. Yes we pre trench with 1 385 and a D9, then the second 385 digs the last 17-20ft with the 750 Deere pulling away from the 385. The crane lowers the pipe in the hole and the 330 normally pulls the pipe into the last one. And then yeah the 973 backfills behind the pipecrew until all the pipe is in the ground, then the D9 will take over and probably a D8 to ditch bang around in the hole. Thats a 12m deep sewer so around 40ft deep give or take a few inches. The deepest I have seen was a 60" plastic storm last year that was in the ground 52ft in places. We had over 2 1/2 miles of trench open that depth. It took a D8, D9, D10 and 2 973's 3 months working 7 days a week to get it up to around 10ft deep which is when the dirt crew took over with rock trucks, 657's and the 836 wheel packer.
Sorry Burnout... I'm kinda' lost on that. Probably a terminology thing. Are you saying the second 385 digs the actual trench for the pipe and you use the 750 to push the dirt away... that the second 385 just dug out... some place? Let's try this... you use the 750 to move the dirt from the 385... where is the 385 dumping the dirt? Does the 385 get a bucket out of the actual pipe trench... then swing 180 and put the dirt on the pre trench floor, behind him... and then the 750 spreads it around on the pre trench floor? I've probably got this all wrong... but I'm used to that. lol Your pictures are outstanding... Oh, you did notice the missing bolts... OCR On edit: Ok, ok, I get it... I'm talking a JD 750c dozer... and you're talking a JD 750 excavator... right... and you set on the second bench and grab the dirt from the 385... maybe?... ...:duh...
Ok here's how it works. the 1 385 dig the pre trench and the D9 pushes it away off to the side. The second 385 is down in the hole and digs for the actual pipe. When he digs he swings 90 degrees to dump on the bank. The 750 sits on natural ground and scoops away from where the second 385 dumps. Normally the guy in the 750 Deere Excavator will dig down 10ft or so so the 385 in the hole doesnt have to reach up so far to dump. Once the 750 grabs the dirt from the 385 he makes a spill pile beside him and that is once again leveled out everynight so cap it incase it rains. I have some pics off facebook from a friend on that site, it might explain it better.
Makes sense to me, :drinkup Why don't you guys use your hoe that is digging the trench (I guess it would be 385#2 in this case) to set the pipe? While we are typically only using a 345 it digs and sets the pipe. I think a could crews have tried to have the backfill hoe set the pipe as well, but it ended up being more trouble then it was worth. Then again, we aren't going 40+ feet either:cool2:notworthy
Thats the 385 I meant, she never sets pipe. She digs and digs. The most it will do is sand the bed under the pipe because the 330 can't reach. The 330 that sits on the pipe already laid is just for setting pipe and sanding it up afterwards. Because they expect us to make 350ft per day we just make the 385 dig pretty well non stop. It always works that way for us, the side hoe as we call it which is usually a 330 or 375 always sets the pipe and sands it up. No backfill hoe for us, their too slow. When we do the deep ditch and a hoe sits in the bottom of the hole he will put the first lift over pipe so he can sit on it, but thats the only time we backfill with one. Thats why us 973 operators get such fancy machines :drinkup I found the pictures, a co worker took them, she normally runs the 710G on site, but since there are only 2 manholes on this 600m run, she has nothing to do, so she runs the second wheel loader and just buckets sand to the 385 and the 330.
Ok the first one is a shot from behind the 385. It shows the 750 Deere on the bank pulling dirt away. The second is another of the 750 from in front of the 385 where they have already laid pipe. 3rd is behind the 385 again, looking at the 330 and operator. The 330 operator is probably our best side hoe operator in the company. Good man, he had that 330 from brand new, and got a new Komatsu 400 this year but it's too big for in the hole. The last 2 show the pipe crew and where they work... sandwiched between a 385 and a 330. This is their world.
Wrong Machine: So, On edit , I was pretty close to being right... right?... OCR
Yeah pretty much. Except its not really a bench, he is actually sitting on natural ground.
Yeah... I see how it's done now... and keep posting the pictures, if you can. Thanks Burnout, OCR
I love the pictures nice machines
Cool pics, looks like a real good company to work for.
Their an awesome company to work for. I just got a nicer offer from the competition.
that is one deeep hole!
Ok, I know this is an old thread, but I got a couple questions.. If your friend is sanding pipe with the loader, is there a road out of the trench on each end? And why is it so deep? Just dont get why'd you have to bury storm drain 30ft+ deep..
gravity is the root of all evils....hard to make water flow uphill
No she is bringing sand down to the 385 in the hole, sometimes the main hoe will drop some bedding down for the pipe to go on. Yeah there is usually a ramp out on both ends. They need one for the 385 to get out of the hole, and the far end is for the packers so they can get out when the track loader operator gets mad enough.