Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The job you put off

Old Doug ยท 2021-01-18 21:06

I think i have been adding coolant for more than 4 years to my Ford because it had a leak out the back off one head. The last 3 summers i add water thinking that winter i would fix it then winter came and i had to refill with antifreeze. Sunday i got the shop cleaned out it fit with room to spare. It has one of those engines that there is no way to tell what size it is until its apart. I got one head off tonight and its a 330 if i force my self i could have it back together buy the weekend.

Replies28
  1. #1_Weldman_2021-01-19 00:30

    Sounds like my Ford 4500 backhoe, needs clutch, what size who knows till you split the case.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2021-01-19 00:43

    Sometimes with old junk I just let it leak or whatever in the hopes that it will die some other death first and that will negate having to fix the annoying problem.

  3. #3Old Doug2021-01-19 21:06

    I got the other head off tonight and was going to start cleaning parts but the shop is cold and i am worn out. Before i put this engine in i cleaned it and painted it. It looked great but it leaked coolant like no other from every were new hose leaked were they went on pipethreaded parts leaked i fixed a leak every time i used it. The head was also leaking and i didnt know until i got the other leaks fixed.The coolant striped the ford blue off like paint stripper.

  4. #4Old Doug2021-02-06 17:43

    It took a week longer than i thought and i fixed some other small problems. The shop is down a hill and the lane is covered in ice so i left it tn there. I backed it out of the shop today thinking i would leave it setting in front of the shop but it didnt have any problem with the snow and ice. Now i can start another put off project.

  5. #5kshansen2021-02-06 20:07

    Well the one I really need to get my butt in gear on is figuring out why the Sportster decided to puke out 90% of the trany lube on the last ride of the year! We stopped for dinner and that"s when I saw all the oil on the back of the bike. Checked engine oil and it was still on the stick and as we only had about 3 miles to home decided to take it easy with ear plugs out to be sure I could hear any strange noises. Got home and washed it off good and parked it hoping for some ambition to look into it. Check engine oil cold and it was very close to where I normally run it. That's when I thought to top off the trany and found it took almost a quart to fill it and max capacity is 40 oz. of oil!

  6. #6OFF2021-02-06 20:27

    worst part of that job is the intake manifold that weighs about 150lbs. Hope you have an overhead crane.

  7. #7Tyler d4c2021-02-06 22:28

    The job i put off my day job of corse

  8. #8Old Doug2021-02-06 22:43
  9. #9Bumpsteer2021-02-06 23:22

    Been putting this project off for a few months now....heater core will be in tuesday. Then the fun begins again, trying to stuff it back together. Ed

  10. #10Old Doug2021-04-04 19:49

    my Dakota is leaking coolant now i thought it was the thermostat housing but its the intake. my other pickup had a brake dragging and its needs a engine swap but it is steal running.

  11. #11petepilot2021-04-04 22:40

    nightmare.

  12. #12Bumpsteer2021-04-04 23:21

    I should be done with counseling in a few weeks......l Ed

  13. #13_Weldman_2021-04-04 23:38

    Not bad I switched out a few dashboards or taken them out a few vehicles, just remember they build them to go in as one piece with wiring and all. Did something myself I didn't take pictures of today, flipped the tire around on the Ford 4500 backhoe the PO put on wrong. Didn't realize how much weight was on the wheel weights on the back wheel, wheel came off and went crazy, crushed a tool box and destroyed my 1/2" impact. There went a few hundred bucks... Got it flipped around just waiting till morning to put tube back in and put other bead over the rim, it fought me whole way even with dish soap and Vaseline.

  14. #14suladas2021-04-05 01:25

    That picture looks fun! I was about to do that to my old truck until it got stolen, also needed turbo replaced. But by me putting off both I ended up not having to do either. So sometimes procrastination has it's benefits.

  15. #15petepilot2021-04-05 02:47

    I won`t do that I`ll put a universal on the passengers floor board

  16. #16petepilot2021-04-05 02:56

    if you get into any more of those have some way of holding it so you can control it. those are usually more than one guy can handle. glad it didn`t git on you

  17. #17doublewide2021-04-05 05:19

    The job I had been putting off, till yesterday. Spark plugs and coils for my Ford e 250.

  18. #18DMiller2021-04-05 07:16

    Allis 180 farm tractor needs split and PTO Shaft seal replaced to stop hyd oil entering trans/final housing, that and needs engine overhaul, needed since bought some twelve years back!!! MAYBE once KW is complete will be time.

  19. #19Old Doug2021-04-05 07:28

    I need to get a better vehical i wish i could find a 80s pickup. Every time i have problems i start looking.

  20. #20_Weldman_2021-04-05 08:50

    Next time I am hooking onto it with jib crane of sorts, doesn't help trying to do this on a hill either.

  21. #21kshansen2021-04-05 09:18

    Think I may have posted this over on the motorcycle nuts thread but sortof thought I should close it out here. When I finally got around to it found that the trans output shaft seal had come out of the case. Not really sure why it did that but in a way it may have been for the best. See when I removed the front belt sprocket found that the splines were missing on the inside so there was a chance one good hard take off and things might have gotten bad. After doing a little research I found out the newer bikes used a sprocket with about a 1/4 inch longer spline and a different spacer and oil seal to make up the difference. Managed to score a good used sprocket and spacer for about $50. and another $85. for gaskets and seals. Now just need weather to get and stay warm and dry so we can get out for a test run once salt is washed off the roads!

  22. #22Old Doug2021-10-24 11:51

    The f600 is back in the shop. The 2 speed motor gave out and the ignition switch was getting hard to turn. I may look at the fuel gauge i have been using a stick for years. This truck is one of the best things i have ever owned i just hauled 2 loads of trash to a dump station. It saves me alot of work. Before i was thinking about a flat bed dump on a pickup that would have been handy but the F600 will haul 3 or 4 times as much bulky stuff. It gets good mileage for what it is the best $375.00 i ever spent.

  23. #23doublewide2021-10-24 18:18

    How 'bout a picture...

  24. #24doublewide2021-10-24 18:23

    Here's mine...

  25. #25hosspuller2021-10-24 18:59

    I've heard of rolling down a window for cooling... but taking the doors off is crazy past that. .. And watch the first step out... it's a long way down

  26. #26Old Doug2021-10-26 08:49

    The battery has been weak for ever and i ran it down leaving the key on so i swapped it out. I found out the the fuel gauge problem is the tank sender. I have 2 parts trucks i will see if one of them has a good unit before i buy one. I got a another welder so i was wanting it out of the shop to get the welder unloaded.

  27. #27Old Doug2021-10-26 09:07

    I never was a big fan of the 1960 /1966 ford truck body but it has grown on me. I gave $375.00 for it at a auction to use for parts for another one but it was as good or better so i fixed it up . I found a 1964 at the place i haul scrap with a bad frame. It had a rebuilt engine new brakes, wheel studs, rad and other parts. I put all the stuff from the 64 on to the 63 witch was a job because they may look alike there are not the same truck nothing bolted up. If i had time i would raise the body 1 inch because the radiator over flow hose is tight between the hood and radiator. I wanted to buy a Chevy c70 so i could have 1 truck instead of 2 witch i now have a c70 but the ford will get double the fuel milage or almost triple that the c70 gets.

  28. #28doublewide2021-10-26 14:11

    Looks good from here!