Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The place i work at built a new shop i may need a new Job.

Old Doug ยท 2015-12-13 11:50

I work part time on the companys trucks at a place that all so has a Gas station with a building to repair tires and do light mechanic work. I have work out of the old building for several year when they needed me and i allso filled in when the full time guy needed off. This year they built another building on the other end of the lot to park a truck in that has to be inside at night. This building is open at one end and allso has a sectioned off closed in part were a truck can be worked on. The two shops are maybe 500 feet apart this is not good for me i was in a wreck years ago and now all that walking is geting to me. I sure wish they would have built on to the old shop. I have other work so work is not a problem but me leaveing them will not be good for them because its very hard to find any kind of a mechanic that needs a job and its very handy being able to have work done right were the trucks are parked and its a rual are were the nearest shop is more than half a hour away.

Replies8
  1. #1digger242j2015-12-13 12:04

    If they could spend all that money on a new building, the least they could do is spend a few bucks more and buy you a used golf cart.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2015-12-19 07:29

    That's exactly what I do digger.. when I have a big job that requires me to work out of our dyno building.. whick is about 300yrds away from the main shop.. I bring my golf cart from home.. it save ALOT of wear and tear on the old bones.. not to mention the added time walking back and forth.. and when the job is done.. the cart goes home.. you would thing the guys sitting up in the top of the building would take notice..?? but NO.. or even wonder how I manage to beat the quoted job time by HOURS.. I don't know if its an option for you Doug.. but a pedal bike might work for you.. beats walkin'..

  3. #3kshansen2015-12-19 07:54

    How about talking them into buying you one of these? http://www.huskybicycles.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=hb&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=T-124 The local Cat dealer used to have a few of these for the parts department guys to run around on.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2015-12-19 09:31

    A lot of the bigger plants I frequent have those 3 wheeled bikes.. 1 plant even bought a fella a used electric scooter when he hurt his foot.. not very fast but it kept him working.

  5. #5Old Doug2015-12-21 17:41

    I was thinking about geting out my old minibike i havent been on it in 37 years. It would need a rack to haul stuff on.

  6. #6kshansen2015-12-21 18:58

    Hey why not build a small flatbed style sidecar for the mini-bike?

  7. #7old-iron-habit2015-12-21 20:05

    That is so cool Ken. My grandson is going to have to have one for following my hack around the place. LOL

  8. #8kshansen2015-12-22 08:05

    I may have to build something like that in a couple years myself, grandson turns 2 next month so figure in two or three years he'll be ready!