Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The red tape in owning a Semi Tractor…… Insurance?

fastline ยท 2016-09-14 12:04

I am just gathering some general info on semi ownership. I am already aware of most of the red tape, and they certainly don't want to make it easy to own one. I just want to use it for ag use and running some of my tractors around, not to haul commercially. I know several points are state dependent and I know our state has an ag tag which is 50 state legal. It comes down to all the other stuff, UCR, fuel permit, DOT, MC, etc...... I am a little lost how we will work the inspections, log book, etc since 95% of the use will be local and not subject to that scrutiny. I assume we just have to start a log when we start a trip that would exceed our area limit? Insurance is the biggest problem right now. I don't currently have an ag policy. I am trying to avoid the word "ag" when calling for insurance because once you say that, they want to sell you ONLY a full farm package..... To be blunt, I don't even want tractor coverage, I want the minimum liability coverage to get on the road. We will use it 2-3X/yr in good weather only, and willing to accept some risk.

Replies6
  1. #1DIYDAVE2016-09-14 19:59

    I have my policy with selective insurance, but its only for a 1 ton isuzu, don't know how big they go. If you think insurance is bad, wait till you start into DOT crap...

  2. #2caterpillar132016-09-15 00:50

    you should not have to do a log book within 50 or 100 miles of your home base. with farm plates alot of that stuff is not necessary. im oregon may not be the same california

  3. #3check2016-09-15 07:28

    Insurance companies are like self-appointed governments. Control freaks at best. Shop around and good luck.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2016-09-15 07:44

    For a local haul 2 to 3 times a year a hired hauler would be much cheaper. Trucks are always needing something if they are working or setting.

  5. #5redneckracin2016-09-15 07:49

    I agree about the hired haul, but I know in PA I cannot get farm tags without filing a schedule F with the IRS. Atleast thats what I recall from the last time I looked into getting a bigger truck and the registration costs were not that appealing for something I'd be using a dozen or so times a year.

  6. #6movindirt2016-09-15 14:07

    Here in IL to plate and insure a semi and trailer, with milage plates (less than 7,000 miles a year) you're about $2,000. Not to mention if the truck you buy needs tires or brake cans or any of the other long list of junk that can go wrong. For 2 or 3 times a year I'd hire it done.