Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Scraper Show

John C. · 2017-12-21 14:43

I shot some footage of a scraper operation in 1996 for a project. I went back and found the old raw footage from then and edited a short program for general interest. Enjoy

Replies15
  1. #1Jakebreak2017-12-21 20:11

    Nice video what were you guys building we’re they using d10 for push cats

  2. #2John C.2017-12-22 11:32

    I wasn't working for the company in the video. I was shooting the operation from the public roads next to it. I don't know for sure which model of dozer was in the video but believe they are D9L machines.

  3. #3d9gdon2017-12-22 18:44

    It's amazing to me how nobody wants to move dirt with scrapers nowadays. Waaay more efficient than scoops and trucks. Good looking operation there.

  4. #4John C.2017-12-22 20:02

    I think is has more to do with the layout of the project than anything else anymore. Road projects where material can be done in long layers is pretty much a no brainer for scrapers. Small to mid size residential projects with soft ground seem to always use artics around here anymore. The price of new scrapers might also have something to do with it. Used scrapers are also always a pain to keep on the move as well. It seems you need two full time mechanics for every three scrapers. The pushers also always add a premium to the job of loading and smoothing the spoil.

  5. #5RZucker2017-12-23 00:22

    One of the big issues with using scrapers seems to be finding operators that can or WILL run them. I used to love my old TS-24 or the Wabco 222F, But without air conditioning or a cushion hitch you cant get anybody to run them. Short of a nutcase like me. A few years back I went out to a site to weld in some wear plates on a 631 Cat... when I got there they had 2 more machines on the deadline. I asked the site manager why those were parked and he said "A/C was out on both". Their Union rules sent the operators home with a full days pay for that.

  6. #6John C.2017-12-23 00:56

    On the job where this photo was taken there was a pregnant women running a scraper. She stopped the machine one time while I was on site and got off to use the porto potty. She looked to be six months or so a long. It was 100 degrees F in the shade that day. Probably need a few good women on those monsters because it looks like there are few good men left to run them.

  7. #7Jakebreak2017-12-26 20:32

    I loved running scrapers I never got to run anything bigger than a 623 but I didn’t care if it had ac or an air seat or if the cushion hitched worked I was just happy to be on a tractor and learning something I still prefer an open cab if I have the choice nothing better than hearing that cat scream and have dirt and smoke blowing on you

  8. #8RZucker2017-12-26 21:52

    Wow,,, an attitude like that and you would be a natural on an old TS-24 with a 12V71 up front and the straight pipe 6-71 in the rear.

  9. #9Jakebreak2017-12-30 07:35

    I have always wanted to give those machines a try around here in California a majority of our scrapers are cat but I have seen some clarks and a few john deere I don't think I have ever seen a wabco or terex in person or working out this way I know back in the day the terex were around I had an old neighbor that was a union operator after the Korean war and he used to tell me about them green hornets I think he called them

  10. #10RZucker2017-12-30 14:28

    I would imagine the CARB ran all those old 2 strokers out of the state or off to the scrapyard.

  11. #11Jakebreak2017-12-30 19:46

    that's for sure I did see on the job site last week I think an ole boy had an old crane I think it was a grove cab over with an old 2 stroke Detroit in it I heard from inside the building I was in I didn't get a chance to talk to him about it or get a picture

  12. #12Catsparky12017-12-30 23:20

    I saw 4 or 5 wabco elevators working in Fresno CA on Thursday and 6 Ts 24 loadrunners in Fresno as well . The 24s haven't moved in 5 or so years but they run and ready to work . No of these machines have red stickers on them as well . how they get away with it I do not know . Also some ts 24s in a pit off the 210 . Those 24s were running last x-mas . The central valley of CA has some neat old stuff bumping around . Last week out in the sticks far far from anywhere I was on a job with an International 3500 hoe digging right next to me . I learned on a 3500 .

  13. #13RZucker2017-12-31 01:02

    Do you know which model Wabcos those were? I'm interested

  14. #14Catsparky12018-01-01 20:08

    They are 222 rz

  15. #15RZucker2018-01-02 21:26

    Thanks. Good to hear some oldies are still working down there.