Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

the smart tranny

Muffler Bearing ยท 2009-08-05 20:27

OK sorry this is a crappy sideways phone picture, but this is the first time I have seen one of these in person. It's an Eaton 10 speed MLL with the electronic shift set up. I'm sure their website has alot more info on it, but this thing is wild! My pic of the top is even worse, but there is NO shift tower, just an electric arm assembly that moves the shift rods for you. And on the bottom where clutch linkage used to be is a hydraulic/electric piston that operates the clutch. I knew these things have been on OTR trucks for a while, but this is the "new generation" and they want to put it on "vocational" trucks like mixers, dumps,ect....I thought it drove pretty nice.....for a robot.

Replies3
  1. #1Dualie2009-08-06 02:17

    their pretty nice untill they F-up. Then its send the hook and off to the dealer they go

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2009-08-06 10:34

    I'm in SoCal now, but came from Colorado, and I worry about things with solenoids like that freezing up and not working right when its 30 below and you are up to the pan in snow. It sounds like a recipe for disaster there. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that part of it here. I have ridden in one once, and it seemed to work OK. I would rather shift my own though thank you. Like Dually said, there is no working on it.

  3. #3Copenhagen2009-08-07 13:01

    I drove a Pete with that stupid transmission in it for about 3 months. I dont think a day went by that it didnt give me headaches. It would miss gears, sometimes it would select the wrong gear and sometimes it would just quit working. I limped the truck over 10 miles once in second gear because it refused to shift. The saying "If you want it done right, do it yourself!" applies perfectly to this tranny.