Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thermodyne question

JAKES. · 2020-09-26 08:13

Hi I was hoping those of you more seasoned people out there might know what I am looking at: I am looking at a running thermodyne it is a n/a, 2 valve,fuel pump with mechanical governor attached, the head has 20 bolts. which is all normal I am just wondering about the number stamped on the timing cover which reads:673E-5115727 . I thought all the n/a thermodynes would be stamped 673END ….. and the newer turboed ones would be 673ENDT.... so I just wondering why this one is just 673E.....? I just want learn some more about this one if anyone happens to know.

Replies32
  1. #1DMiller2020-09-26 08:29

    Early Thermodynes were only 'E' Series, difference between Gas and Diesel(Same Block) The engine model designation meanings have changed slightly through Mack's history, so the exact definition depends on if you have an older or newer model. For example, the letters for an early model mean the following: E: Mack Diesel Engine D: Derated Version of Engine T: Turbocharged B: Mack Dynatard Engine Brake A: Single Stage Aftercooler S: Two Stage Aftercooler EN: Engine END: Naturally Aspirated Diesel ENDT: Turbocharged Diesel ENDTB: Turbocharged Diesel with Engine Brake ENDL: Lightweight Version of END ENDLT: Lightweight Version of ENDT Later were M Maxidyne and C California, the later models E was for Turbo Diesel.

  2. #2JAKES.2020-09-26 09:20

    thanx Dmiller. for the list of engine designations that is exactly what I was looking for .

  3. #3JAKES.2020-09-28 19:20

    Update: I took a pass on the 673E and got a 237 Maxidyne.

  4. #4JAKES.2020-09-30 20:42

    This is a sneak peek of the B61 i put together.

  5. #5JAKES.2020-10-04 06:19

    This followed me home yesterday.

  6. #6JAKES.2020-11-28 02:14

    Well just an update I recently acquired a Maxitorque to mate up to the 237. Now been looking for another b cab and chassis to fill out the package and I am in the process of negotiating for a herd of B's that are looking for a new home such as: B60, B62, B66 and a B61 mixer chassis with the front pump. Sorry no pics of these trucks yet but I will soon. Interestingly all these are 4x4 too. One of the trucks appears to have Chrysler flathead which appears to be original. Was that a power plant option from the factory back in the day?

  7. #7DMiller2020-11-28 08:30

    Mack always produced their own, gas or diesel, do not believe a Chrysler was ever a option.

  8. #81693TA2020-11-28 10:08

    EN-354 was an option which was a Chrysler 354 Hemi engine. Seen a couple in fire chassis and think they were B-95 series. I know they were original. EN-414 was also a Chrysler 413 engine but I don't remember the chassis series these were installed into.

  9. #9DMiller2020-11-28 12:16

    I stand corrected

  10. #10Truck Shop2020-11-28 20:06

    Hemi's were used/tried in several areas, such as the experimental Thunderbolt below.

  11. #11Mother Deuce2020-11-29 05:22

    You come up with the most interesting stuff TS! I have never seen this image... is there one with the nacelle off?

  12. #12Truck Shop2020-11-29 12:07

    Little do people know the first Chrysler Hemi was 36 liter. Read the first two paragraphs. https://autowise.com/every-single-chrysler-hemi-engine-ever-made/ How would like to fly that baby?

  13. #13Mother Deuce2020-11-29 15:15

    I would... but that is way over my pay grade. That is farmerlund hardware!

  14. #14kshansen2020-11-30 11:10

    Can't swear that it was original but know one of our plants back in the 1970's had an older B model they used as a welding truck, Licoln SAE300 I think mounted on the back, that had a V-8 Chrysler engine in it! I would not be surprised if it was the EN413 as it was a pretty good sized engine. I have an old Motors manual that does show a 413 in the Mack section and it says refer to Dodge section for the HT413

  15. #15DMiller2020-11-30 15:49

    We had Industrial Chrysler Generators we used to roll Baldwin Loco Engines with out on the River. Electro Motive power from old locomotives switched to River duty, engines ran WOT and motors on Prop Shafts did the grunt work. Tow they were in had the old Chrysler Industrial Hemi Generators sitting in the hole, other than tune up cannot remember ever having to delve into one.

  16. #16kshansen2020-11-30 19:53

    I also remember calling the local Mack parts department one time and trying to order a part for the carburetor or governor on an old B model with an EN707 engine and got told Mack did not make gas engines and I would need to figure out who put the engine in it and get parts from them. Took a little time looking and actually found a parts book in the back room and looked up the part number and called back with a Mack part number. Guess what the factory still had one in stock and I was able to fix the truck. Not sure if I managed to convince the parts guy or not!

  17. #17DMiller2020-11-30 20:11

    When worked Mack St Louis we worked major cities fire apparatus A great deal of those old bulldogs were still gas Dual distributor, dual plugs, dual exhaust on a inline six with straight pipes

  18. #18JAKES.2020-12-01 04:15

    Thank you all for this info everyone, I do believe the truck I am looking at has the EN413. It is in the B62 which has the camel back springs and a wet kit. It is a heavy spec gas tractor. Sorry still no pics will try to get some by the end of the week. Thanks again all.

  19. #191693TA2020-12-01 06:25

    Mack referred to that engine as an EN-414 and it was an option in the B-62 series. My B62SX originally had a Mack EN-464 engine which was a large six cylinder. The Chrysler produced EN-414 engine which was actually 413 cubic inch displacement and looked just like a later 440 Chrysler engine being of the raised block, ("RB") design. The later "440" was produced in 1965 from this earlier design. Though they look similar, the "361", and "383" series engines used basically the same, but a lower deck height, or "low block" design.

  20. #20repowerguy2020-12-01 08:42

    Cool, Mack was running a 413 Max Wedge in trucks. I wonder if you lined up against a Stingray, what would the outcome be? (hint Shut Down).

  21. #21kshansen2020-12-02 09:41

    Just put a few yards of stone on the back of each just to make it fair and see how good the Stingray makes out!

  22. #22JAKES.2020-12-25 13:54

    Just a random Mack related thing I came across these jackstands i find it ironic they are branded Mack yet the capacity would not support a class 8 truck. They must have allowed their trademark to be used for various products. Anyways just a follow up post here to say that I still have not made it back to get pictures of the B's previously mentioned. Due to it being holidays and social distancing also busy with my day job! But will get some to post soon. Seasons Greetings.

  23. #23JAKES.2020-12-25 13:56

    Sorry i pulled the trigger on the pic upload too many!

  24. #24farmerlund2020-12-26 14:21

    Interesting. I didn't know they had made an aircraft engine like that. It would be great to push the throttle forward on something like that. I got a ride a few years ago in a friends P-51 Mustang, we took off at 65% throttle. 65%!!! It was still a rocket. LOL One of the most fun things I have ever done.

  25. #25JAKES.2021-02-20 06:29

    Hello H.E.F. I am finally back with an update on my acquisition of a '58 B42sx I have brought it home as well as a b61 mixer truck with lots of good parts. I had to wait until the previous owner got his Covid Vaccine before I was able to hammer out a deal and retrieve ..so that is what took awhile. I will get some pics of them up soon presently blanketed in snow and ice! My plan is to pull the En 401 gas engine and 15 spd triplex out of the b42 and swap in a 237 and maxi dyne 5 spd add power steering and spring brakes.

  26. #26JAKES.2021-02-20 07:27

    Here is a look.

  27. #27DMiller2021-02-20 07:29

    Left rail bent or just the photo? Was that a wrecker at one time?

  28. #28kshansen2021-02-20 09:51

    I'm thinking it's the bar/angle iron the rear flaps are hanging on that makes it look strange.

  29. #29DMiller2021-02-20 10:14

    Was focused on the Air tank mount and rusty frame spot, Mixer? Still looks bowed Up.

  30. #30JAKES.2021-02-21 06:48

    I don't think the rail is bowed/ bent but I will have to look harder. It is a double frame and it was a dump truck in its younger days. There is surface rust but not too bad for a truck that has been outside in New England for the past 62 years!

  31. #31Truck Shop2021-02-21 07:41

    Does that frame drop down/taper or get deeper towards the cab?

  32. #32JAKES.2021-02-22 03:58

    It does taper down towards the cab.