Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thieves!

Mccahilldozing ยท 2011-09-22 12:08

Does anyone have a good idea on how to keep thieves from taking your batteries out of your machine? I just replaced both 8d batterys on my D8k about a month ago and yesterday some thieves decided they needed them worse than I did. They also took about 150 gallons of diesel while they were there. They weren't nice about it either. They took bolt cutters and cut both battery cables and the hold downs! I will try to get a couple pics and post them.

Replies78
  1. #1chevota842011-09-22 13:18

    Shotgun works well in my experience. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2011-09-22 14:45

    They have been hitting everyone. I even welded straps over the exposed batteries on a water truck and they cut them off with a torch. If they want your stuff, they will likely get it, unless you are camped out with a shotgun, as Chevota said.

  3. #3PCSHAY2011-09-22 17:01

    This has really gotten out of hand, and I'm sorry it's happened to you. Thieves are stealing anything they can get their hands on to recycle or sell. Even stealing bronze plaques from monuments and cemeteries! This is a culture problem and there is nothing you can do but remove the batteries at the end of shift or keep on site security. It's horrible that it's come to this. I'd put quick release clamps on the batteries to make them easy to remove, and pump out the fuel tank at end of shift. This sounds extreme but they are stealing ATMs right out of stores that are bolted to the ground! The only thing is to remove the object they're after. Also I'd buy a good video camera that can capture their license plate.

  4. #4Mccahilldozing2011-09-22 18:41

    Yeah Ive been hit twice this year for fuel. Its hard to make a profit in this business if thieves keep stealing everything! Does anyone have experience with the Dewalt Security Systems? I was thinking about putting it on the tractor but I'm not sure someone crawling on the tractor will vibrate it enough to set it off.

  5. #5carlsharp2011-09-22 20:27

    http://www.dewaltmobilelock.com/main.asp About $400. They also make one for containers.

  6. #6DPete2011-09-22 20:53

    What you need is a 12 Guage with the trigger hooked to a trip wire.

  7. #7Tinkerer2011-09-22 21:10

    That would be a guaranteed trip to the big house. But maybe there is some way a paint ball gun could be set up - not with paint in the capsule but a projectile loaded with the essence of a skunk. Of course the gun would have to be set to full auto.

  8. #8DPete2011-09-23 05:00

    Seriously you could rig a car alarm or 24V lights and a hidden survailence cam. Been a while since I bought 8D's but I'll bet Cat or Interstate are pushing $600, now they know you have new ones.

  9. #9Nige2011-09-23 09:44

    I hate thieves as much as the next man, but he problem about draining diesel tanks at night or leaving them less than full is the increase in accumulated condensation in the tank. You'd need good water traps and operators that religiously drained the water off every day to prevent expensive injection system failures if you emptied the tank.

  10. #10boone2011-09-23 11:33

    It's a shame people go to such lows as stealing...makes me mad. Couple of big losses could justify some expensive gadgets like that Dewalt thing or real camera that's been mentioned. With the dewalt, you get a phone call when the panel on your dozer is opened in the middle of the night. At the very least, I would buy some cheap $5 audible vibration alarms, maybe some $5 decoy cameras with LEDs and some surveilance signs posted where you know they will see them.

  11. #112stickbill2011-09-23 16:50

    If you had one machine not working.Fill it full of doctored fuel but make sure the line to the pump is plugged.

  12. #12PCSHAY2011-09-23 17:01

    You stated a problem, then solved it in the same paragraph. You're going to have to expend money and effort to counteract the thieves. How much are water traps compared to hundreds of gallons of fuel? How hard is it for the operator to drain condensation? There are still operators who take good care of their equipment and try to excel at their jobs. It may not be easy but every problem has a solution. This is war. Every advance you make in thwarting them will be countered with new weapons of theft. Or you can just give up and let them take it.

  13. #13Tinkerer2011-09-23 18:57

    Some thieves are worse than others. I came into work one morning and the battery had been stolen out of the asphalt roller I was running. So the boss went and bought a new one to replace it. The following morning the new one was stolen during the night. We figured the odds were pretty good the jerk that stole the first battery was clever enough to come back and get the new one.

  14. #14Seabass2011-09-23 19:08

    45 colt or ACP? Either one would work fine, x2 on the 12g as well. Good luck. Seriously, maybe you could tack down the battery cover and a better lock on the fuel? I've fabed up steel boxe around locks so that bolt cutters cannont be used, just enough room for a key. Something to think about.

  15. #15PCSHAY2011-09-24 06:16

    I love this. My choice of "contaminate" would be nitroglycerin capsules! You can get them from Natasha and Boris Badenoff* at 1-800 Crimepays. Put some in a couple barrels marked "FUEL" and leave them on the job site. When the low life bassturds start their engines they'll be blown into 6 states and Cucamonga! No 72 virgins for them! Know what I mean , Vern? On the news tonight was a story about batteries being stolen from 35 school buses in the east. In the west they are stealing air conditioners from schools and businesses right and left. They are even stealing live wires from power poles! Manufacturers are going to have to redesign their machines. Equipment of the future will look more like military armor. Everything inside behind armor plating. * That's a Rocky and Bullwinkle reference for you youngins!

  16. #16PCSHAY2011-09-24 06:49

    Here's another idea. Put dog crap in your battery box. It won't stop them, but they'll get more than they bargained for, and they'll remember it for the rest of their lives! Hopefully it'll get all over their fancy truck with the expensive wheels and booming stereo, which they also stole. In anticipation of the naysayers and defeatist; A. How can you smell it in an enclosed battery box? B. You hose it out when you want to change batteries. You clean up after your dog, right.? C. Wouldn't it be worth it knowing the bum got some comeuppance? You can probably tell that I REALLY, REALLY hate these scum who take what others worked hard for. I see no difference between a thief and a murderer and they should be treated the same. Neither has a conscience. If you've been victimized I'm sure you can relate.

  17. #17Greg2011-09-24 08:12

    Smith and Wesson coupled to a Browning along with a big dog works well here. Locks just keep the honest people out. Welding down the battery cover would probably stop them but what a pain when you have to get inside of it next time.

  18. #182stickbill2011-09-24 08:54

    Sounds like you like to joke about this.Well it's no laughing matter.O Doctored fuel will cost the thieves big time.I have seen it done.The thieves know the law will not bother to investigate.Just think of this.A thief gets hurt stealing from your equipment then sues you.He wins big time.

  19. #192stickbill2011-09-24 09:01

    They will still do damage to the equipment because now their mad.Every State should pass a law that if you catch a thief red handed on your property you can execute him on the spot.Might stop or slow this thieving down.

  20. #20chevota842011-09-24 10:33

    I think Texas's castle laws would apply, and I wish more states would adopt something similar. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

  21. #21Phill2011-09-24 18:07

    http://www.provinciallockandsafe.ca/hardened-steel-rekeyables/master-puck-lock i have used these on a few things, not equipment mind you, but they can't be cut off if cutters, if you biuld a steel ring around the lock its even hard to remove.

  22. #22Lee-online2011-09-24 19:27

    Mount a trail cam so you get a picture of the thief in action. What about bolting covers and guard on with left handed bolts. As long as they are big enough bolts they wont break them off. Only you will know they are left handed and can still easily gain access.

  23. #23PCSHAY2011-09-25 12:21

    2stick; Sounds like you're one of those "shining light" guys that bring so much joy to the job. You having such a good sense of humor and all and being the life of the party. Now look up the word 'facetious" in the dictionary if you can find one and read it s-l-o-w-l-y. Better yet have a 6th grader tell you what it means. I've been around too many crabby operators over the years, but I'm retired now and don't have to put up with it. Life is short so I'm outta here. Enjoy your misery.

  24. #24tctractors2011-09-25 13:47

    It would seem the U.S. is getting off light with just the battery + a bit of Vimto (Gasoil) being lifted, in the U.K. the new "thing" is stealing the Copper leads to the battery as well, on some sites it does not matter if the leads are clamped in every half inch, come the morning they have been stripped out? I went to a Land Fill site the other day to work on an excavator, I was met on site by the battery and lead man who had to couple things up for me to run the excavator, on finishing the repair I had to phone the chap to come and remove the leads and battery, his Van was full of this stuff, the kit on the site is fuel filled every day with enough for the shift only.

  25. #252stickbill2011-09-25 17:23

    I bet there were a lot of people celabrating when you retired.But being from California.Speaking of Crabby if the shoe fits wear it

  26. #262stickbill2011-09-25 17:27

    Thieves are stealing copper here too.Some has high voltage going though it.Near me a Sub Station was shut down.They stole all the ground cables.They steal from houses,Church's and any where they can get it.

  27. #27Puffie402011-09-25 21:38

    The puck locks need a special hasp to work. they would be fine if you are modifying the hasps on your doors - they just require a little more work. I would also weld the hasps to the doors so noone with a crowbar can defeat the lock that way. This is from the same site. - these boltcutter resistant locks will work on regular hasps. (the Master lock equivalent) Keep in mind locks are only a DETERRENT - if the thief is determined to get them, he will get the tools and keep trying until he either gives up or is caught. sealing the doors (Welding) is probably the most effective deterrent if everyone in the neighborhood has boltcutters. using short tacks will allow easier access to the door if it needs to be opened (Zipcut!) but use multiples so brute force is out of the question. Mind you, both welding and boltcutter-proof locks will not work if the crook has a zip-cut. You will have to make it so a battery-powered zipcut cannot last to get it completely open. the best way to approach this problem is to think like a thief yourself: "If I want to get (target) from this machine, how can I defeat the security measure?" That should get most of the small-time crooks.

  28. #28carlsharp2011-09-26 01:31

    These will take some fabrication, but if you lose $200 worth of fuel and batteries more then once its worth it. This was designed for shipping containers and is resistant to most anything short of torches. Other options at http://www.shippingcontainerlockbox.com/ This only leaves the key end of a padlock showing- http://www.knaack.com/jobsite_storage_equipment/watchman_iv.php

  29. #29Greg2011-09-26 07:27

    Been a lot of tools and small land scape maintenance stolen around here. Had a couple of mexicans stop here looking for scrap a few weeks ago. Didn't look sound or smell right. Put the sheriff on tho them. I heard yesterday that they were arrested last week or week before caught red handed in the act. Same reaction from law enforcement according to friend of mine who was hit. "Do you have insurance? Turn it in, we will have the report on file if they want to see it." Got hit on a job with vandalism this past Saturday night. Went to check on it yesterday and found an 8000 pound Daewoo fork truck laying on its side.

  30. #30mrfixit778452011-12-04 13:19

    posting wild life cameras wont stop them but it may lead u to them if u can mount them at the access points they also make wireless camera to hook up to computer. there r many ways depending on the site location.

  31. #31ironpounder2011-12-06 09:38

    I think I would go with the alarm system as long as you can place it in such a way as to not have it stolen too. Game cameras work really well too! So far I am not having that problem but I can see it comming! My dozer locks up well, but locks only keep honest people honest, as they say.

  32. #32log frog2011-12-06 13:20

    I've been fighting these bastards most of my life. It even cost me some court time when I retaliated. Wonder what the total cost of theft and security is to the averge business like ours, and how much the consumer eventually pays by our increased cost of doing business these days?

  33. #33windrow2011-12-10 06:25

    a utility contractor had a break in recently around here and had a $30000 dollar spool of copper cable ripped off. that hurts Ouch.

  34. #34JD955SC2011-12-11 00:57

    Law enforcement and the courts barely pay lip service to the thievery. God help you if you take any action against the tweakers yourself, but the theives get off with a light slap on the wrist most of the time. The tweakers are very industrious/ingenious at stealing stuff. If they applied a fraction of that motivation to a real job, they would be doing real well. The laws that are supposed to govern the scrap dealers don't make a lick of difference when the scrap dealer is more crooked than the thieves. At my old job, I worked with the niece of the local scrap dealer. She was later busted for ripping out HVAC unit guts, including 6 at my old job and causing over $15k in damage. 19 y.o. Had a good job and a good future as a nurse. Not anymore...

  35. #35caterpillarmech2011-12-11 08:21

    We had a good one in Austin. Dude tried to steel high lines for aluminum. He got his! Fried the crap out of him. He lived for three days in the hospital and died. I wonder who get the bill for that?

  36. #36ironpounder2011-12-12 07:07

    I was doing some work on my dozer this weekend, general maintenance... As I pull her covers off I like to replace bolts that are rusty or just in bad shape. Gave me an idea, drop by the local auto parts store and pick up some lug bolts for break drum installation, like an old Chevy Impala, then pick up some wheel locks. Install the lug from the inside of the battery compartment (or whatever) and put the lug lock on after you install the cover. use at least two so they can't bend the cover over.

  37. #372stickbill2011-12-12 11:20

    I went out to check the ol D7.Funny used to be a generator in that hole.Yep generator,battery cables gone.O and I checked the fuel the vent bolt was gone from cap.Found out the local Deputy Constable caught him trying to get the starter and let the sob go.Now they don't want to do anything.About $4,000 in parts from Dealer which is a Felony.Makes you wonder who is the real crooks.This Deputy's' boss is running for office again this year because they are doing such a fine job.

  38. #38Tinkerer2011-12-12 15:27

    2stickbill, You really should file ( in paperwork) a complaint with the Constable. That Deputy had no business letting the thief go. A misdemeanor is one thing but felony theft is a real serious offense. Besides , if he had the thief caught where in the world are your parts that were stolen ? I smell a rat all the way to Illinois . Maybe two rats.

  39. #39CASE CRAZY2011-12-12 19:16

    That is a shame, its rediculious when a man cant keep batteries on his equipment he makes his money with

  40. #40Taylortractornu2011-12-17 12:59

    Bill call the state police they are the bosses of the constable. We had the same problem here the constable and deputies and sheriff all didnt want to do anything about a group of theives that they were buddies with. Took care of the problems. The kid that was stealing here was kin to the duputy that was on the case.

  41. #412stickbill2011-12-17 19:33

    Well his boss the Constable knows all about it.I am like you Smells big time.Even when I told him the cost of parts Like they don't want to work to hard.Maybe if they knew this guys sister and her family are in his PCT.and have some money might change their attitude.

  42. #422stickbill2011-12-17 19:42

    Well the Constables here are supposed to serve warrants but most run radar traps.More money in that.Sheriff told me he has trouble with them.Texas votes the Constable in so I think the County Judge is his boss not the Sheriff or the DPS.

  43. #43mitch5042011-12-17 20:52

    In SC, the state constables are volunteers who assist law enforcement, and can deal w/ crimes they witness. The State Police answer to the Governor. The County Sherriff is an elected official, who answers only to the people. A sitting Sheriff can only be arrested by the Coroner of that county, who is also an elected law enforcement official. In a case of malfeasance, a Sheffiff can be removed by the Governor AND the state Senate, together. I just find the different ways things work in other states fascinating.

  44. #44Randy882011-12-21 21:06

    The tougher you make it to steal the harder they will attempt taking what they want, or do more damage somewhere else because they didn't get what they wanted, unless your dealing with incredibly stupid thieves. As for arming with alarms and camera's and whatever else, odds are if they are somewhat intelligent they'll outwit you anyhow. If you build a better mouse trap you'll end up with smarter mice, it might take a while but odds are, since they have nothing else worthwhile to do they'll figure out how to beat you in the end, also chances are your being watched anyhow so the day you don't take the battery home is the night they'll take the battery. As for fuel, maybe don't fill it up every morning or evening so its low at the end of the day, 10 or 20 gallons might not be worth their time, someone else leaves the tank full every night, I always fuel in the morning and most know it, since I've done it that way I haven't lost any fuel, before I lost fuel all the time, as for condensation, at 3-4 bucks a gallon I can drain some water or change filters more often and be paid very well to do it from a few lost or not lost tanks of fuel. I guess its just how you look at things, I try not to leave anything worth while for an easy steal, like fuel or new batteries, I put the new ones in my trucks and things that go home at night I've also switched most of my machines over the run off the same battery size and type, thread top semi batteries, also makes to the average moron pretty worthless to steal, since he can't easily pawn or sell them to any idiot on the street, like either side or top post terminal batteries. It makes his potential buyers pretty limited.

  45. #45JD955SC2011-12-22 01:11

    Some of us state park rangers are commissioned as constables, too. (I'm scheduled for this in a couple of years)

  46. #46Iron In Motion2011-12-22 13:45

    Land mines, toothbrush and a safety pin. Do the math lol

  47. #47Greg2011-12-23 10:21

    Sweet justice. Guys who hit me on a demo job for a pile of copper just got nailed yesterday. Their probation was rovoked, warrant for grand theft issued. Now off to jail for Christmas. What a wonderful "Grinch" I am for being able to identify part of the stollen booty. Now if we can just find the rest of it.

  48. #48Randy882011-12-23 13:18

    Why would you be the grinch, sounds like to me they had it coming, now where was the probation officer during all this, apparently not doing his job, maybe someone should point that detail out. As for it being christmas, maybe they should have thought about that before stealing the stuff and everyone else's as well, I'm sure your not the only one missing stuff. Well anyhow enjoy your christmas, sounds like you've got more the celebrate about, that and for now those thieves are locked up and not stealing any of your stuff for the time being anyhow.

  49. #49Greg2011-12-23 19:43

    You got to understand the Madison, Wi mentality Randy. Radical left wing liberal all the way. I am thrilled to death about the whole thing. That "grinch" idea is a one in 10 response. Never thought about pinning it on the probation officer and his doing his job. Would love to talk to him too. All I know is when the hearing to send them back up the river takes place I will be in the front row. I don't expect it to go to trial because everybody will be singin like a bird to try and protect their own worthless ass.

  50. #50Randy882011-12-24 08:42

    Somewhere along the line someone wasn't doing something right or these parolee's would be watched closer, or those with a hsitory of this would be monitored better, maybe bring that up in court or have your attorney mention it somewhere along the line, to talk to him personally won't do any good he'll try to forget or downplay the conversation to cover up his mess and mistakes to allow it to go on under his watch and have the courts system affected because of his neglect and not monitoring the situation better. As for getting a front row seat, maybe eat it up from more towards the back, chances are you'll be watched and some might retailate against you for sending a pal upsteam, just something to keep in mind, I've known a few in your same situation where the retaliation was worse than the original crime and then nobody to find responsible for it since those that would have done it are behind bars, but their friends and relatives are not but will all have alibies to cover each other. Just a thought, it might not be that way but sometimes it is, as for in private, buy plenty of beer and tie one on for days now thats its colder out and things are slowing down anywhere but in the shop. As for the madison area my son's finishing up college there for diesel mechanics and yea I'm somewhat aware of the erea and peoples thinking. You did a good job of wording it politically correct though, I am impressed with that abiliity, I don't have that ability at all, I tend to blurt it out like I see it, which usually gets me in trouble with most. Anyhow after the whole ordeal, tie on a good one and enjoy what small victories you can with the legal system and its many loopholes.

  51. #51Greg2011-12-24 17:18

    It would not make any difference if I sit in the front or the back row. They know who I am and I know who they are. THey were given an opportunity to return the copper, even offered a reward, but they chose the other road. More than likely there will not be a trial as somebody will no doubt squeal to dry and get a better deal. On top of that I would more than likely be the only one interested in attending the sentencing too. Nobody else will care about these piles of ****. I have already been watching my "six" ever since this thing started and will continue to keep my "trusty friend" handy at all times. I will for sure be asking lots of questions to and about the worthless probation agent too. I have progressed beyond the "tie on a good one stage," but will celebrate for sure with a thick prime New York Strip Steak and follow it up with some fine brandy in a snifter.

  52. #52Axle2011-12-25 17:32

    Just to play devils advocate for a minute; What could you exactly pin on the P.O? He is not there to babysit them 24/7. How many dirtbags does he have to keep track of? What are the states requirements/condition of the dirtbags parole that ripped you off--did the P.O. do those? What resources are available to him to keep tabs on who gets questioned/arrested by the police-automatic notification when the dirtbags names are run through the system? Paper only? Police need to make the effort to report it? I once suggested to a cop if they find somebody breaking into a vehicle they use their sidearm and take care of the problem since it was too late for me, the look I got, I tell ya, I was wondering if I was going to be arrested for even suggesting it. Alex.

  53. #53nickbowers2011-12-26 06:38

    i volunteer at the local cfa(firefighting) station, we were out on a job at 4:30am to come back and find our cars had been ransacked, luckily i had nothing in mine and it was unlocked. But the locked cars had the window smashed, a few people lost new phones ect. Pretty low considering its all volunteer

  54. #542stickbill2011-12-26 09:05

    This story of a fine upstanding Copper thief. http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/n...rom-police-with-50-pounds-of-wire-2424733.php

  55. #55Greg2011-12-26 19:29

    Say what you want and stick up for P.O. all you want Axle. I intend to have words with him, his boss and boss of his boss. Around here these burocrats always say the same. "We are over worked and understaffed." Some how I can't believe that these clowns were being watched very close. As I recall they are not allowed to have contact with other fellons who are on the loose like these worthless bastards.

  56. #56Axle2011-12-31 14:56

    They are not. Thats why I ask what are the conditions of parole? Just walk to the PO office and check in every week? If thats all the judge ordered, you can't very well blame the PO for what the dirtbag has done. Give the judge an earful about beurocratic b.s. and a backwards legal system that gives criminals more rights by default than the law abiding citizen. Alex.

  57. #57sledgehammer2012-01-05 09:12

    had a new battery get stolen out of my 7.

  58. #582stickbill2012-01-05 20:32

    Dad had the HD16 he was operating messed with.They tried to steal the batterys.He let it be known that one of these nights him and his 12 gauge with oo would be watching.Funny thing Dozer was never touched again.

  59. #59Dualie2012-01-06 00:20

    well over the weekend they cut my fence in the one zone that wasn't on camera got 6 different battery's, two radiators and about a thousand bucks worth of press brake dies. I wouldn't care about the battery's as much if they scumbags didnt cut the cables. I know who the thief was and i would like to put his azz in a hole out in the back forty but i cant PROVE it was him. They cut the locks off of two of the locked battery boxes too. got about 4 grand in tools and a 300 amp portable welder from the shop next to mine with a retired owner.

  60. #60Taylortractornu2012-01-06 06:14

    Parolees should have to wear a gps traching unit like the leg band monitors. Neigbors step sone is in his 30s and has been in morethan out. THey kept bailing him out and every time they give him a night off the leg band he get to go back down south. He was taught in jail to train and break horses. THe renthouse lady down the road has put him in charge of her horses for rent. Bad thing is weve caught him stealing metal from a friends abandoned house. on horse back. The law doesnt want to mess with him anymore they kinda let him do as he please. I have a friend that put a wireless remote camera in a hidden area and filmed 2 teenagers and a 33 year old vandalizing his machine. knocked al lthe glas out, cut the batt box lock off and the batteries and cables stolen. The sherrifs office told him there was nothing they could do.

  61. #61equip guy2012-01-11 20:20

    As silly as this may sound, get a small power inverter DCto AC and hook to a small battery tucked away. Then get a 20 dollar animal electric fence controller. Take steel wire and hook both ends of wire discretely to battery box. Connect and leave fore eve. When the person goes to grab and stp on tracks they will have a rude awakening. At least keep the punks away. When operator comes in, just diconnect battery leads to inverter and use machine for day. The bigger the controller the more voltage. This was similar concept when buddy of mine had his tool box messed with at busy truck shop. Couldn't find out who it was, so he took the welder, and attatched to back of box, took carpet entry mats and placed around box, and soaked with hose, went home, when he went in the next day, the over night shift said this one particular guy let out a howl, and then went home sick! He now knew who it was, and his box was never messed with after that event.

  62. #62pf/l2012-01-19 20:18

    We've been fortunate to have only lost a few batteries and some fuel over the years. Gotten to the point though where if it's easy we take the batteries home at night or just leave them in and hope for the best. Some guys have had equipment vandalised because of locked batteries and things. Same reason I never lock the doors on the cabs of our equipment any more. Figure it's cheaper to loose a little bit of something then to have to start replacing glass. Trouble with the above post is with our stupid legal systems they might just find a way to put you in jail over the actual criminal. Ryan

  63. #63Randy882012-01-20 07:15

    PF I used to think the same way, but my insurance company stepped in and told me I had to attempt to lock everything at night or my insurance wouldn't be any good, so fuel tanks, cab doors, and master ignition locks and lockable side panels all have to be locked up, they sent me a memo via mail one time stating they did an onsite inspection and found my machines were not locked up, if they did another onsite inspection and found the same thing the second time, they'd drop my coverage and cancel the policy on everything I had insured with them, I did however find quite a bit of humor with equip guys post, if it were the insurance company people to touch my machines to see if they were locked or not, but I'd better not press my luck. Up until I got the email from them I never knew they required me to lock anything, I never read the small print on the bottom of the insurance forms I'd signed. Just something to think about if you've got insurance on the machines, I've gone through about three different insurance carriers over the years and when I asked, they all have the same policy on locking machines up at night on the jobsite.

  64. #64RollOver Pete2012-01-20 07:30

    This is so, so true. IOW's, been there, done that. With the all of money and time that defending myself and protecting my property has cost me, I've had a chance to learn a few things. #1....Never, ever allow a criminal to become the victim. You either let the system watch out and protect you or you say "enough is enough" and handle it yourself. If you go this route, leaving booby traps, hot wires or even barbed wire will get you thrown in jail just as easily as if you had beaten the criminal within seconds of his his last breath. If you become sloppy and let the sucker get away, hes going to talk. Suddenly he gets a public defender which you and I pay for and you are stuck with the system that never helped you in the first place. After that case gets thrown out due to some technicality, you will find yourself being sued by him and being brought up on charges of battery or aggravated assault or some other horse poop. Next thing you know is that you are the one being put away. That said, do what you feel you need to do to protect yourself and what's yours. Then when you catch the little b*****d who ripped you off, #1... run him through a rock crusher or a tub grinder and #2, keep your damned mouth shut. Criminals have way more rights than their victims and until we start having public executions in front of the local court house on the third Sunday of the month like they did in the good old days, things will never change.

  65. #65pf/l2012-01-20 18:46

    Randy88, I haven't herad of anything like that in this area but it could be that people just tell a white lie and get away with it too. I actually don't know of anyone off hand that has had a surprise inspection by the insurance agency. Crazzy the lenghts those guys will go to too get out of paying out money. Rollover Pete, something is going to have to change in this society or we are going to be over run I'm affraid. Almost to the point where it doesn't pay to be honest any more. Ryan

  66. #66Greg2012-01-21 09:56

    getting just like the bottom end of the third world here and law enforcement and the government encourages it more and more every day.

  67. #67RollOver Pete2012-01-21 15:52

    Support Vigilante Justice! It works! I don't think that law enforcement or the government encourages anyone to become a criminal. I d believe that there is little or no incentive to not become a criminal. These guys know that if they do get caught, they might get a slap on the hand and they are right back out on the streets. When I was growing up, I knew that if I took something that was not mine, that was called "stealing" and that was something that was wrong and that I should never do. If I did, I would get my butt beat . I also knew that when the belt went to my butt, it was extremely painful. Stealing something would lead to pain and stealing was always the wrong thing to do. I knew better and I knew the difference between wright and wrong. In some places, I believe that if you get caught stealing, you stand the chance of losing a hand. That in itself would be more than enough reason to make someone think twice about stealing. I also think that dealing with someone who gets caught committing a crime in a way that sends out a clear message to others would help. None of this being housed in jail for long periods of time which costs the tax payers money. If you get caught, plan on losing a hand or even better, plan on hanging by your neck from the tree in front of the court house this weekend because there's going to be a bunch of you executed. The state will even send out invitations for all of your family to attend and be serving complimentary refreshments, pop corn and hot dogs. I know this is not the normal way of thinking and it crosses what most of you may think of as acceptable but tell me, can any of you think of a better way to deter someone from becoming a criminal than frequent public executions? It has worked well in the past.

  68. #68LDK2012-01-21 19:32

    Pete, We think very much alike. I think the Middle East penalty of losing a hand if found guilty of theft is perfect, "they" still have one hand left and the general law abiding public would know what kind of a scumbag they are dealing with in the future. If they are stupid enough to re-offend, send them to a donor prison where their organs could harvested and given to law abiding citizens that are need of them.... they get the chance to give instead of taking.

  69. #69Randy882012-01-22 04:13

    PF, I first thought it was a joke someone was playing on me, but, when I checked it out, I found it was for real, they have stated in their in policy's written legal details that I the owner have to take every precaution necessary,by means of shields being locked and any factory installed safety lock being used, to deter theft or vandalism of equipment thats insured, any resulting neglect on the owners part can and will be considered neglect and a willful void of coverage. Or some such terminology they legally use in the small print, thats also why just before I have a claim on anything I call first an attorney to have them put the fine print in my terms I understand so that when I'm talking to the insurance companies I don't say something I shouldn't say to void any coverage, which has happened in the past to me resulting in no coverage. As for their reasoning I never saw much sense in it, I always said it only keeps the honest thieves or the really supped ones from stealing or damaging my machines, the ones who want it badly enough will work around any locked panel or door, fuel cap or whatever to get what they are after anyhow. Not to mention for 20 bucks you or anyone can buy the entire set of master keys for every make of machine sold in the last 50 years that'll start or unlock any door and for another 20 bucks buy a bolt cutter to cut the padlocks off you put on. All the added theft deterrent systems put on today only make criminals that much smarter in my opinion and also increases our costs of those machines, it hasn't taken crime to zero, just like cars or anything else, it only makes them more desired by criminals to steal is all, if someone is willing to pay for the stolen product someone will figure out a way to steal them and deliver them. Any security system thats man made can also be bypassed or shut down, the crook just needs to understand how to do it is all, the only one's who can't figure this out is us, they owners and buyers of the machines new or used, we have to have service places come to change the 20 dollar sensor and charge us 500 bucks to do it so the machine will do what its supposed to do again and we can use it. But thats a whole different thread and set of complaints I've got with newer machines.

  70. #70Greg2012-01-22 09:18

    I have spent time in the mideast some time ago. They do not have theft problems there because of the law enforcement which they use, as in get convicted of stealing and off comes a hand. No pass the first time, no probation, no parol, no appeals etc. Get convicted of killing someone and the family of the victum decides the fate of the killer. If there is not a family member over 18 the killer sets in jail till the family turns 18 to decide the fate of the killer. No appeals, no second chance, none of the garbage that goes on here. But remember. We are not barbarians here. We are civilized so we can't do those kinds of things here. Just ask our far left judges and legislators about that. Oh ya, and don't forget about all the lawyers sucking money out of us as they continue to drag out and appeal things. Where is Judge Roy Bean when we need him?

  71. #71buckfever2012-01-22 16:35

    I don't think the hand cutting would fly aroud here but how about a system where if you get caught stealing or destroying someones stuff you get put on repayment-sapport. Kinnda like child-sapport only you have to pay back what you have taken or broke plus intrest. Won't stop the first few but once the word gets out that the cost is way higher then the payout theft will slow down. Also once you are found guilty there can be no redused sentence, all the money has to be paid back nomatter what.

  72. #72pf/l2012-01-22 20:20

    With all of the Human Rights bills and laws and activists around I'm affraid none of these will ever happen. I'm not saying they're the worlds worst thing but whats wrong with making a inmate actually work while he's locked up. Or like buckfever saying pay back what you stole or damaged. I can remember the bush camps that were set up and the inmates were out logging or the chain gangs working. There's some that should probably never be let out but odds are those are the ones that should take a short drop with a sudden stop. Randy88, it sure is a messed up system that's for sure. Insurance companies seem to find all the little ways to get out of paying anything out. It's like everyone has ever said, insurance is great till you need it. Ryan

  73. #732stickbill2012-01-22 23:41

    Well I found out the thief who stole the parts off our D7 lives across the road from a Heavy Equip.Salvage yard.The D7 owner ask them before if they knew him.Never heard of him.I bet they bought the stuff from him.

  74. #74LDK2012-01-23 11:45

    The pendulum is swinging so far to the left that one day it will have to swing an equal amount to the right just to balance itself! I am all for making the jailbirds work but it should only be doing the stuff that no one else cares to do, or you would be taking jobs from the law abiding public.

  75. #75Greg2012-01-23 17:47

    The repay it to the victum part sounds good when you say it fast. Here the criminal is supposed to pay it back. Problem is that the repayment terms are very liberal so if the victum ever sees a dime it takes forever once the criminal is out of jail. The next thing is that the criminal does not get a real job. Instead they pull the old "work for cash" routine so they don't have any wages to be garnished. That is what the clown that grabbed my Copper a few weeks ago was doing. He was on parol and working for cash. So we are turning in the crook he was working for to the state because of not paying workmans compensation insurance, unemployment and all state and federal witholding taxes, social security and medicare.

  76. #76buckfever2012-01-23 20:36

    I like the chain gang idea. I know a lot of roads the could use a good trash cleaning. How about even having them install the DEP's requiered siltfence. I hate siltfence.

  77. #77JDOFMEMI2012-01-23 21:00

    Good point Greg I have a 40K judgement against a thief that was convicted and restitution ordered. Amazing thing how they have had no income for the several years sice this happened :beatsme The tweaker who stole my welding leads is probably going to get off as well, and the latest thing is the guy who rented a forklift and had a scrap company show up and loaded out 4 dumpsters of "scrap" from my yard in the hills. You know, cutting edges, rippers, hoe buckets, pipe, I beams, spare axles and transmissions, hydraulic cylinders, and other "scrap" like that. I wonder if they will even arrest him. The sherriff talked to him, he said the property owner told him to do it. He is still walking the streets:Banghead:Banghead

  78. #781970Cat162012-01-25 20:26

    Down on ranches in south texas the remaining old direct drive d7 d8 and d9's the armoring has been long perfected from working around the mexico border, you see those jungle cat motor enclosures with super sheilded and armored hinges and locks inside a armored 1 inch thick steel lockbox, some have really got creative with the locking assembly over the old d8 7 9 diesel cap, the lame battery boxes really scream steel this battery for a $100 crack rock, does not take much to armor them up as well, we learned 40 years ago that every theif knows a 3/4 inch wrench, 1/2 9/16 inch wrench and visegrips will remove a delco mt50 24 volt starter, a set of 8d batteries and the 24 volt altenator on the side of a d8 cat, wish i had pictures alas but dont, I saw a guy make a 3/8 armored dashboard one time that also sheilded the floor plates as well from vandals, he was working next to a school and defeeted the theifs from stealing but in revenge they beat out all of the guages with something, so he made a sheild for them, next time he checked the tractor they had removed all of the black balls and ccu control handles so he got to removing them at the end of shift and they quit that tractor. Crazy kids he figured from the school he was ripping caliche next too in the rio grande valley in tecksuslol