Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thieves

Jakebreak · 2018-04-28 12:43

I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right spot feel free to move it wife came home from getting breakfast this morning and noticed my tool box open in my truck and the driver side door cracked open sure enough they got into my truck I forgot to lock it last night they took a beats stereo my binoculars some change and a few other little stuff nothing important they went through the glove box they didn't take any tools have about $1,000 of tools in there they didn't open my garage more than likely a stinking kid also they got into my neighbors side door of her garage and to top it off my cameras didn't even pick anything up except for the cars driving up and down the road it just pisses me off I have never had to worry about locking my truck til now sorry if it's long winded

Replies30
  1. #1Junkyard2018-04-28 16:40

    If I ever catch them on my place they'll dig their own you know what..... That sucks man. I hate that feeling.

  2. #2Jakebreak2018-04-28 18:49

    Thanks junkyard more than likely kids getting stuff to sell for drugs I just need to move out in the middle of nowhere you know they weren't smart all they had to do was snatch the garage door opener and they could of had a bunch of stuff

  3. #3thepumpguysc2018-04-28 22:15

    I remember when I lived in the city & forgot to lock my car.. ONCE.. Its a feeling that takes a long time to get over.. if you actually ever do.. Its a feeling of being violated.. I've been out in the country for over 30 years now & STILL lock the screen door when I walk into the house.. & when the wife is in the shower & I'm out back, I shut the main house door & flip the dead lock.. & I've got 3 HOUSE DOGS!!!! Like I said,.. A LONG TIME to get over.. Sorry that happened to ya..

  4. #4Jakebreak2018-04-29 11:05

    Thanks TPG I appreciate it

  5. #5Tarhe Driver2018-04-29 11:25

    It's sure a bad feeling to be the victim and to have absolutely no recourse, for the thieves often vanish into thin air. Learn to put the hurt into a separate compartment in your mind and rarely take it out. It's kind of a grief-healing process... it will always be there, but after a while you learn to manage it. So very sorry for your hurt.

  6. #6Hobbytime2018-04-29 16:01

    thats going on all over the country, if its unlocked they go in,the kids spend the night going up and down blocks just trying every door handle to see whats unlocked... in NY its not illegal if they go into your car or truck, only if they take something and leave... so catching them at the right time to get charges, Im thinking more of a midnight beat down and leave em bloodied some where to learn a lesson...

  7. #7doublewide2018-04-29 18:21

    The bad feelings that go along with loosing some stuff are pretty minor compared to the life long sorrow of knowing what you, or I, might do to some dumb kid with a problem if we caught them in the act. It's only stuff.

  8. #8Ronsii2018-04-29 19:51

    ... Hmmmm, so you use up part of your life to acquire 'stuff' sometimes it takes a lot of your life to earn enough to buy 'stuff' now along come little innocent timmy and steals your 'stuff' then he sells it to his little innocent buddy tommy for 20 bucks so he can have his fix... what just happened??? he stole part of your life... and now to replace it you have to use up more of your life.

  9. #9td25c2018-04-29 22:55

    Hate to hear that Jakebreak . That's a bad deal and on top it don't seem to help calling the police after the fact . Not related to your thread but I got a laugh out of this article . Take some items & then resell them for a percentage ........ What a joke ! http://wfpl.org/kentuckys-confiscated-guns-end-back-market/ Makes me question " who aint on the take " ?

  10. #10Jakebreak2018-04-30 00:02

    Thanks s quite interesting I got a good laugh out of that one thanks everyone I appreciate the advice Hope everyone had a great weekend I might have another project coming up we tracked down my grandpas old 8n ford tractor we’re seeing if we can get our hands on it and restore it

  11. #11RZucker2018-04-30 01:14

    . I live out in the country, ten tears ago we had some problems with some Russian kids. I woke up one night and heard them jabbering in my driveway, I grabbed my .45 and went to the door and let Maggie (a 90 lb Pitbull/aussie cross) out the the door. She went nuts on one of them, chewed him up pretty well. He was screaming all the way out to the road. (1/8 Mile) The next day a sheriffs deputy showed up on a dog bite complaint, I told him the story and he just grinned and patted the dog.

  12. #12doublewide2018-04-30 06:46

    When I was 17 I caught a man (late 20's - early 30's) breaking into my friends house. I quickly grabbed the first thing I could (a big rock) and chased the guy down. Turned out he was a recent prison escapee who had just car jacked some woman and was armed. He got away. So did I,.. with my life. Be weary of what a desperate man may do.

  13. #13Tinkerer2018-04-30 08:40

    I hate reading about break-ins and thefts Jakebrake. My son-in-law had the same thing happen, except he had just cashed his paycheck and forgot it was in his truck long with an unloaded semi-auto handgun. The bast### did not take the handgun. They did take the cash though. Why did yuor cameras not capture the perpetrator on video ? I have a doorbell with na camera in it and no one can get on my driveway without me knowing it immediately and it is recorded. I also have a floodlight under the eve of my shop which is 450 feet from my house and it also works the same as the doorbell.

  14. #14Jakebreak2018-04-30 09:05

    Tinkerer my wife called the camera people and when the installer set it up she didn't explain that you can set zones on the camera for at night for the infrared to focus on that area is what we were told so I readjusted both cameras and settings and I started backing my truck in but what I don't understand is that every morning when I go out to my truck the cameras pick me up and my door being open that's what blows me away is that it didn't even pick that up

  15. #15Vetech632018-04-30 15:02

    This is why I live on 40 acres in BFE. I have a clear view from my house, 1400 feet 360 degrees. I also have a 270 Mag with a high powered sniper scope, and I'm an excellent shot.

  16. #16Tinkerer2018-04-30 15:56

    Do your cameras send the video to a cloud service like mine do ? Mine will miss some of the motion at times do to a slow internet service. I have 12mbps down and 1.2 mbps up. It is the fastest AT&T can provide and it isn't fast enough for seemless video storage and viewing. What I do get stored is more than adequate to identify anyone that triggers the cameras.

  17. #1703hdrk2018-05-02 02:03

    Almost 2 years ago I had $44k of tools stolen from a shop that I had been working in for about 3 years. It was oilfield generators that I was working on and the job had come to an end. They asked me to come back and finish a few things so I had already taken some of my tools home. We had it all on camera. The problem is their system only recorded - it did not notify anyone. they were there for about 2 hours. There was 3 of them - they caught the leader, but he claimed it did not know the names of the other two. He confessed and took a plea bargain and has to pay me back as a condition of his probation - he is in jail on other charges so I have not seen any money and probably won't. The guy had such a clean record that he got a concealed license just 6 mos earlier. Met a drug user girlfriend and went stupid. I was wondering which path I was going to take - buy a service truck? go get a payroll job in a shop? etc. The thieves forced my decision - the owner of the ranch where I live wanted a new house, so I acted as a home builder until the first of this year. I have my basic tools back but far from what I had. I too feel that they took my life - BECAUSE THEY DID!! Everyone has a past and I have sympathy for most people, but the guy would not give up his accomplices so I could get my tools back - so as far as I am concerned he can burn in hell. It will be a long time yet before I recover. I feel for anybody who is a victim of theft. I know I should have had insurance, but... it is not easy to find a company to insure my tools in someone elses shop for a reasonable price - I tried. Now I work out of a service truck and have the tools insured on a commercial truck policy. This happened Southwest of Fort Worth and $10k of the theft was a bunch of Fluke wireless electrical testing equipment - I thougth it would pop up online but have not found it yet. I had plenty of reasons to turn out bad but decided not to, so my sympathy only goes so far. I think if you choose to steal you are knowingly risking your life - if you die its your fault. So as far as what might happen to the poor thieves... I had a heart attack that should have killed me on 2/4, I am 47. I can tell you that stress can do major damage to your health and the theft was part of it. I will jump off my soap box now.

  18. #18thepumpguysc2018-05-02 05:01

    D AAAAAAAA M... & I thought I had it rough.??

  19. #19old-iron-habit2018-05-02 09:31

    A mechanic I worked with on numerous projects ended up with his truck stolen, trashed, and all his tools were stolen out of it. He thought he had good insurance on his truck as well as his tools. The tools were even listed as a line item on his policy. Come to find out, theft of the tools were excluded on his policy in the fine print. Tool theft would have been a separate line item endorsement. If they had got damaged in the truck via an accident or if the truck had burnt up they would have been covered. Just saying check your policy to make sure you are covered for what you think you have coverage for.

  20. #20Hobbytime2018-05-02 09:57

    great story, but in todays climate of litigation, the dog would be impounded and a big lawsuit at your front door, luckily your sheriff had some common sense and the kids parents didnt know 1-800-lawyer...

  21. #21Hobbytime2018-05-02 09:59

    just get a night vision scope and your all set...

  22. #22Tinkerer2018-05-02 10:32

    That wouldn't be acceptable for me. My doorbell video camera will have a notification on my cellphone usually before my truck is all the way out of my garage when I am leaving. The floodlight / camera will have a notification on my cellphone before I park my truck in front of my shop. The video they record is available immediately for me to view. They also have a live view option that I can use to see anything in front of them at any time and record that as well.

  23. #23gtermini2018-05-02 12:09

    I was reading this thread yesterday thinking about how rotten people can be in places, and naively thinking my current place was immune. Lived there 19 years without an issue. Small country town, know all the neighbors well, it's nothing to leave keys in a rig. Last night the basterds got my commuter car. Went to start it this morning to warm it up to go to work, and the keys weren't in the ignition where they always are. Thought I was losing my mind, I was sure I hadn't taken them in the house or anything. Then I noticed all the garbage and dirty ear plugs and crap had been pulled out of the door panel where they had been looking for cash or a phone or something. They didn't touch the snap on hammer, pry bar, ratchet, and screwdrivers laying on the floor in the back seat. I figured they hit the key to start the car, but didn't know how to drive stick and push the clutch pedal to get it to crank. For some reason they took the key and ring with my work keys on it. Just a rotten inconvenience, and a new VW key is big bucks to get programmed at the stealership. Not anything like most of your guy's stories, but it stings just the same in the moment. The heroine plague and some residual meth head tweakers are returning to levels of mischief that I haven't seen since scrap price was super high. They were bold to come up a long driveway right next to the house where we were all sleeping, and sure have balls to do what they're doing. I know there's a 100% chance of hot lead rain if I catch them in the act, and the same sentiment stands with most the neighbors.

  24. #2403hdrk2018-05-03 00:41

    Thanks for the advice on the insurance - I will check into it. I have had my vehicles burglarized twice - once living in a "gated" apartment in Houston - just got a Snap On wrench set and ratchet. The good one was the one my first winter in college - spent my whole summer's wage to get a hard top for my pride and joy - my Jeep. Bought a radar detector during the summer as well. The transmission went out on the Jeep - put the trans and the fuzz buster in my mom's Dodge D50 pickup and hauled ass to the transmission shop before work one morning - 30 rural miles away. Got a ticket for 74 in a 55 a few miles out of town, then, on the theory that 2 highway patrols would not be out that early - I got another ticket few miles later for 75 - in a 55 which was $50 more - cost about $300. Got the Jeep back, a wet cold front came in one night - a damn theif broke the passenger window out to steal what...??? The Radar Detector $200 radar detector cost me 2 tickets, $165 window, a cold wet couple of days without a window. Have not owned a radar detector since! Character building times

  25. #25Jakebreak2018-05-04 14:35

    Sorry to hear that. That pisses me off all the tweakers it's getting bad just like they got the keys to my inlaws place they figured it was to my house glad I didn't have my work keys in the truck

  26. #26gtermini2018-05-07 11:15

    Luckily there was some justice on these goons. They stole 6 or 7 sets of keys within 3 blocks of my place, as well as a car. They were all tweaked out and I think didn't even really want the car because they dumped it 2 blocks away. They took their new found spending cards to the next town over and started swiping for anything they could. They had them in custody by 3PM that same day, and I got my keys back somehow miraculously (never expected to in a million years). It was a man and woman who have made a living out of thieving. Just went and looked again this morning, and of course they aren't prosecuting them on 3/4 of the stuff. They'll probably be back out in a week.

  27. #27thepumpguysc2018-05-07 13:57

    BLUE HAIR?? Lol.. They're just BEGGIN for someone to pick them out of a line-up.!!! IDIOTS.. It looks like the cops are tryin to hang most of the "felonies" on them tho.. GOOD.!!! They remind me of that OLD joke about the guy who said he "screwed a parrot one time" & wondered if the kid w/ the blue hair was his son?? Lol I have a "story" about keys too.. I moved 100 miles away for work & left one of my houses for my GF to use.. Well, she let her kid stay there & he stole the keys off the key rack.. UNKNOWN to me/her.. I found them in a car he stole from me & wrecked it.. I had to go claim it & press charges.. He's STILL in jail.. got 8 years.!!! They "added on" a bunch of stuff that they couldn't pin on anybody else.. Lol I sure am glad you got your stuff back with out to much hassle.. NOW comes the fun part.. going to court & watchin'm tell the judge how they've changed & found God.. LOL

  28. #28DIYDAVE2018-05-07 20:35

    Soon to be appearing on "faces of meth"...

  29. #29Jakebreak2018-05-07 20:54

    Glad you got your keys back at least they got a bed and 3 meals a day and tv and medical while their in there then they will get out and be doing it again

  30. #30RZucker2018-05-07 22:35

    When the deputy asked the parents why their kids were in my driveway at 1:30 AM, the folks kinda waffled.