Just stuff done the last few weeks. Moved the ac180 in to set beams for 150 & 71 Highways Had to take the swing out section of jib off.The beams were at the end of the chart.removing the jib gave the operator a little comfort zone it was heavier than you think
Had some pipe to unload 65 feet long and 8,000 lbs.Minor boss said "you could do it yourself but I'm sending help any way. Then run up by the airport and unloaded a connex box from Denmark . Dang thing stunk , Rendering outfit from what a understood.
I think you can see a theme because we have been setting beams all over the country lately. Nice 90 ton Lima this bridge is odd because there is no back wall
Very nice pictures tiny, but im still declaring war on you.....bah ha h ha
5150 to Raytown ,Manbasket work to help with a church .
And another bridge Beam job but a different deal,New design with the beams running side by side and cables pulling them tight together.Well at least it new for Missouri LOL..........Don't even get a concrete deck.Overlays with asphalt.
Had two hydros up there because the 100 ton machine in the background had a broken wire going to the computer that they didn't find until we were done.
nice pics Tiny, wheres that rural bridge at with the new deck design? I'm from St. Joe and run around down around the city alot.
Interesting pics Tiny, thanks for sharing. I moved this thread to the crane forum form TGIF. Do you have any more info on the "deckless" bridge beams that get overlaid with asphalt?
Ludlow Missouri , south west of Chilicothe Missouri by 10 miles
Its a different deal with these bridges.No normal decking lumber , Just set the beams and asphalt...They do get a concrete wall. Keiwit company is the prime on 550 bridge jobs . This deal was started two years ago and so far they have 50 done.Trouble is Missouri is broke and Keiwit is fronting all this.So the 4 year time limit is probably a non factor. But they went in with the idea of just a couple of designs that fit all.All these bridge have real short time limits.Longest we have had is 54 days so far.Its a nightmare for the job foreman to get the right stuff going and to keep making the next step. It is hard on man power because these guys have been the same hands on everyone of these bridges this summer.The hands are tired. Basically a lesser traveled bridge will get the box beams and asphalt and busy highways get conventional I beams and precast deck panels http://www.ktuconstructors.com/ http://www.ktuconstructors.com/project/faq.asp
Thanks for the info Tiny on the project. I found this site if anyone else is interested on the MO bridge replacement program.
02Dmax , I just thought about one that Clarkson built . 371 and H go west an 1/8 mile from that intersection , just north of the haydite Plant. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....500067,-94.795189&spn=0.025631,0.035963&z=14
Ok , Here go's today.Hauled the Jib to the 718 this morning . It and an m250 and a 5120 Grove are all on one job building a soccer stadium . Missed getting a pic but the Operators stuck the jib together in the yard . Hauled it 70 feet long . Anyway here are some pics of that job [/ATTACH] .
I live/work off of 155th street so have been watching the new bridge at 150 highway. Have you had anything to do with the 435 bridge they are putting in?
No Sir , I'm assuming your asking about the emergency repair job? A company named Pyramid is doing that one
Is that stadium the new Wizards home over in Legends?
:notworthy Man, Tiny- you get the best pictures! Your jokes and videos, tho........
Yes Sir, It is .
tiny, i happen to love your humor. YouTube - Elton -Tiny Dancer a song for tiny.
He beat me to it. Good to see it's coming together. I moved from playing/watching soccer to rugby though.
Excellent pictures Tiny please keep them coming................
Another bridge dealio, Hauling median barrier so they can tear down and repair 1/2 at a time but it's real narrow and they used the 13 foot barrier so that about kills a boom truck.So they used a Terex RT and it was a little to light for the job....And a green operator . It was slow.
Green operator I guess...he could have turned the lower around so workers wouldn't have crane engine and exhaust pipe blaring at them.
Last week I had to help put together a 150 ton hydro to help set crusher parts down to be hauled
More Fun at work,Boss tells me to take a boom truck. Yes I know a boom truck ain't a crane :tong But I continue . boss said you are setting blocks.so with that I left.No big deal , just the average 3,800 lb concrete block that every concrete plant or sand plant on earth has . The kick was two pipes about 8 inches in dia. One was a gravity live sewer line and the other is a pressurized sewer line from the hospital we are behind. Used a National 27 ton boom truck and I don't care for Nationals,Never run one that the swing was good on. Also had to wait on the guys digging,Wouldn't dig the hill out unless they had blocks ready to set.
Tiny are they like small mafia blocks?? haven't seen much of that system of retention over here,Love this site as the is always something new to learn.Any one know where I can get more info ???
tiny, please tell me that is not a permanent wall.
Well Q sorta,This was the cheapest way they could figure to keep that pipe work in place and build a 14 foot wall for the garage.Plans are to back fill after the 14 foot garage wall is built and just cover them up....They would be permanent and a non factor then.
Stock Try this out. http://www.inter-block.com/ I have put in a few of these as permanant walls. They are pretty easy to do. Kind of like stacking LEGO blocks, but 4,000# each
Great thread, love the pics
just went to work for a concrete foundation wall company in TN. they were using 38 ton altec to set 9' concrete walls(4-7.5k lb). on the alarm the whole time.
Nothing like having 'The right tool, for the right job!!'
yea, i lasted 3 days. called it 'quits" when the owner said i was being a puzz and that the machine can go 33% beyond the LMI. I only been around for 5 yrs but no accidents and plan on keeping it that way.
Took the 180 ton to a scrap yard car shredder on Monday . A NO picture place so just a couple LOL . . Every car that go's in there is beat up in pieces small enough to go through the grating in this 4th pic. .
Back out to the soccer stadium,This time to put a 33,000 lb precast concrete box in the ground.Weather man called for rain and he was right for once..Dang it! This box is for a system to drain and blow dry the field . Suppose to be a muti layered set up to let water run through and be drained away .Then a huge reversible blower system that can pull air from above the field to dry it or push heated air from the bottom to the top. A huge headache comes from the fact that all that ground is a rock ledge.Excavator and breaker spent 8 hrs before we got there and started back at 6am that morning .. All we did was set the box off the truck He was still beating when we gave up and came home .
One more thing to think about,As it stands the last crane off the job will be the M-250 and the only way out will be through the tunnel straight over the top of that box.
Thursday it was another KTU job,Difference is this time is the 777 way sent to McPherson Kansas to a refinery.Instead a rental company rented a crane from another rental company. Makes perfect sense :beatsme Anyway their setup man was having a bad day.Rained the day before and if you left the hard pack you were stuck. Think the 1st pic was the 2cd time stuck. Also the strap used was his as we are banned from using straps after they are used to pull like that. Then the carbody jacks use a separate set of lines hooked to the house.Works good but you can't swing 360 as you can see.Tore the lines off. Also just before the lines wear fubared for some reason it was jacked up to the max.Then with the lines broke there was no way to bring it back down.In my opinion a bad idea to attempt the tracks but the set up guy didn't seemed worried. Also I did Not like the blocking under the carbody outrigger pads.
. Way too much daylight under the track already on the machine. .
I saved this part of the story till last. This machine had just been returned off of rental from what I will call company A, and returned to company B, then rented to us Company C,With company D as the prime contractor. This will show how hard it is to get anything done.Company C needs a crane.Company B rents the crane to company C..........Not bad so far.Right? Well hang on. Company D requires a 3rd party inspection, So company B in an effort to keep costs down has Company A do the inspection.Same outfit that just returned the crane from long term rent.It passed (Surprise,surprise).Company B hands the inspection to company C, Company C hands it to Company D and we are all cool right? Not Just yet. Company D has been down the road before so they have their own guys inspect it........9 bent lacing . Company C gets the news, calls company B with a 911 about it and Company B calls Company A about WTH is up with this.....Company C is POed because they need a working crane NOW and send The rental boss and our inspector up there who immediately rejects a 40 foot section and wants it off the job. Company D is watching everyone like a hawk.Company C is screwed until repairs are made.Company B will not see a dime till they get this squared away . Company A will be held responsible for this whole deal but will have to be taken to court before they pay up. Just another day in the rental bis
first, that "blocking" under the jacks is a joke. second, how the hell did 9 lacings get bent?
No one knows but thats on company A
looks like the mud tracks on the road the service truck backed over to the other side of the road to get stuck the second time the blocks just dont look safe!!! looks like this was a job to just set back and take pics thanks tiny for the pics great for the saftey meetings
well we know who company B,C and D is..who is company A?:idea:cool2
Ummmm, Another rental company!!!!!!!! ointhead You are correct
I'm referring to the actual names of the companies involved.....
Lets just say they are KC companies and leave it at that,One of the owners or employees could be on here and may not like their name mentioned.
Tiny you would think a nice shiney service truck like that one would have a hose press in it for such occasions!! (when the hoses get tore off by a operator) did they get the crane set up without any other problems?
Nope , It had a noise when booming down and the Job foreman shut it down last I heard.........been tied up on other stuff so its second hand info now
Must be some money in cell phones,Nascar race coming to town the 1st week of Oct.So we have been helping put up 2 C.O.W.s. "Cell On Wheels" One is in the parking lot at a huge furniture store. They have been trying to get a head start on them by bringing the top section of tower to our yard and hanging the antennas and coax.Getting the tower section there easy, After the antennas are on its a little tougher to haul back. Changed the weight center.These are fine straight up but on its side was shaky and bouncy . I took city streets so I could keep my speed down. Then the 40 ton had to come out and set it together .top was getting close to 90 feet. LOL OK is it still a boom truck ??? Air conditioned cab and two lines....Outrigger span is as wide as a crane.Just saying .......It says "National Crane" right on it...
Has any body heard that National is building a 55 ton unit??
Another day at the soccer stadium, Was told its a little snug getting in there.They were right. Some of the decking is down on one side. The outer part will get a translucent panel so the grass gets enough light to grow. The reason I'm there is to stick 60 feet of jib in a M 250 (300 ton machine) That adds up to 300 feet of boom [/ATTACH]
In order to set the the bracket for to jib pendants I had to get close with the boom truck.Just too much stuff piled up,So it looked like this. . Threaded the outrigger through the boom.... . . Then they dug out the ramp I came in on , I'm thinking WTH and was told I would have to head out the tunnel. . . As you can see its not a straight shot and was bad because of the stuff stacked. A pickup would have been fine LOL
Some Pics from the second story box seats.
That tunnel looks way small, way small. muzy
Ok ,Drug the M 250 out of the tunnel at the soccer stadium.I pulled the carbody out.Went better than I thought.I did take my shoe horn with me hehehehe
...
This last Wednesday wasn't too bad.200 ton Demag to the Batch plant at Iatan so it can be torn down.Then come back to the yard and load out a church steeple. Cell site builder is putting this on a church . Cell antennas will be inside the steeple so no one can see them. I have seen them do this 3 times so far.Kinda cool. Really strange though , loaded the pieces and stored them in side ummmmm these go on a roof...........Why do they store inside ?
What the eye don't see the heart don't hanker......................................
stock, I do believe you nailed it bro. lol
It's kinda like covering waterline pipe with plastic...when it's store outside.... what?... rule number blankity blank geeze. UMMM inspector I think it's going to be covered in sand and dirt..
Thursday , Thought I was going to help put together a 3900 W for a railroad bridge replacement job.The spot is tough to get to because of the low area to run through to get to it. Just wound up setting mats for the crane
Friday , Move a 138 link belt for another company. Second machine setting in limbo with no job for these guys.Tore down , loaded, moved across the metro and unloaded in 6 hrs. 170 foot main , 30 foot jib
...
(not me Ben~
Another 248 Link Belt move from the last KTU job of the year for us,Plenty of room to unload this thing . This place we unloaded is a store yard . Lots of stuff sitting. 994 waiting a place to go,second pic is just to give an idea how big it is. 3 brand new Sany's ,Sheaves still have paint on them
Fridays job , This is a twice a year thing for us.Power company has modular barge sections that they use to keep ice from the Missouri river out of their water intake. Put the barges in the river in winter then pull them out in spring.Used a 180 ton machine . The 4 electric water pumps sitting in front of the intake building are in case the river drops low the Gantry crane picks them up and sets them in the river .
In the past We have pinned the sections together .Not this time , Power company is in cost cutting mode and the guys on the barges are plant people . They might have saved money but they hired a tow boat to help them also . I think anything they saved they blew on the boat . Last year we when we did this it was just the crane and some rope .
15 story building erected in 2 days This many cranes this close looks like fun! Especially when OSHA isn't an issue... YouTube - Ark Hotel Construction time lapse building 15 storeys in 2 days
The 22cd day of November we go out to set roof top air conditioners .Used a 9000 E grove with I believe 47 feet of jib.Replaced all 8 units.
A crane boomed down that low gives me the willies just looking at it!
looked at the spec sheet for the 9000e... looks bigger on paper than the photo 60 degrees is 12000 lbs.. don't know it's angle there.. I think I looked at it right.. what would be scary is lifting 1080 pounds 215 feet from the center and 230 foot of boom..... I think I would pass on that lift.. closer is always the better option.
Took the 180 ton Demag to a power plant today.Set off a couple of 105,000 lbs vessels .Will move a 300 ton crawler in later to set these. Another company had a Liebherr in there . No details because the oiler found out I was a driver and walked off ,Oh well. Also the Terex picker on the roof looked odd
Good looking set up ,No info Last picture is the coal conveyor, Looked like some work was being done on it
Are those mats they are using for counter weight, and is that plywood they are using for mats? Like the crane thou, good pics tiny. muzy
They look like thick steel plates to me. And on the ground looks like trench plates, but I wasn't there.
Those are thick steel plates they are using for counter weights. That entire pad hes setting on is matted with 10 or 12 inch oak. The rock was put down to do away with the trip hazards from the gaps and pick points of the mats. Under the tracks there are sheets of plywood , Used to level the crane (Fine tune the Leveling)
I have been slowing down on ya but here is the latest . Company was hired to move a 348 Link Belt, A 300 ton crawler .Kind of a different machine.One thing I hate about it is the mast . It uses two small hydraulic cylinders to fold the mast over backwards. It changes the center of gravity drastically when you do that , So much so we blocked the carbody and chained it to the trailer in order the prevent a huge mistake . Also it uses a hydraulic cylinder to hoist with not the load line.With the limited travel of the cylinder the rigging will need to change likely every job . Crane built on mats one length of rigging , Crane flat on the ground another length.
Going back together Downtown Kansas City Missouri. Traffic was right on top of us
The 348 link Belt was put together to Take down a tower crane.Have set a lot of machines to do this but haven't been around to see it done .I was there today . 1st jib section was over the street just because of the reach and access problems ,Plus 3 other tower machines still working
...
Ouch, my neck hurts just looking at the pictures. Just kidding. Thanks for sharing Tiny
All this is for the Performing Arts Center in Kansas City
Not sure what this crane is called but its one of 4 at the PAC . The counterweights move on this one. Boom down and they travel away from center
Very nice pics Tiny, and you better find out what that tower luffing boom is for us.
Was that a canadian flag on the end of the jib?
Aviation flag,in the flight path of a couple of hospitals
Here in Aus we just refer to them as a "Favco". Technically that is the name of the manufacturer but everyone knows what your talking about when mention a Favco.
Great pics tiny...
Nice pics of the Sarens Liebherr! Where were those pics have been taken?
lepeltje , That machine is in LaCygne, Kansas USA
hey Tiny, are those counterweights in post #80 concrete precast? great pics and thread!
D5G , Yes sir those are precast concrete with embeds to lift them with . Like I have said ,I don't know much about towers but the concrete counterweights are common
UV degradation?
Yeah I know, but the pipe sets in the pipe yards forever... then we have to cover them for a week .. we were getting a load or two a week.. and more or less using it as it was delivered... so it was quite the pain... any pipe dealer in the area the pipe sets uncovered...
Tiny, I thought so! Thanks for the info, keep up the cool thread!
I put this in the crane section because of the 150 ton Grove hydro and the 180 Demag hydro cranes used on a 911 of the performing arts building. while tensioning the cable suspension for the glass front and roof a major weld failure took place.German company designed this and had to fly their people in to look at it
Also when it broke the pipe leg sprung outward so hard that it broke some of the precast concrete.It was rewelded and put back in place.Was told by an iron boss that the engineer said "These things sometimes happen".Not what I wanted to hear.
Wow, great pics and explantion. Got a better idea how that wall is constructed now. There is no shine to that break, is a cast pipe? muzy
I do not believe that pipe is cast because of the welding that was on it . Also the upright pipe are NOT bolted to the floor . Cable tension holds the bottom in a ball and socket looking set up , One of the repairs looked like a pipe over a pipe but the outside pipe was cut different . Had square notches in it to get more weld surface . One of the repairs had electronic sensors screwed in it to apparently keep track of it while the tension was put on it.
Not cast eh. Freaken awsome looking wall anyways. tks muzy : )
Tiny, you guys put together a JE Dunn tower in lawrence over by the park and ride lot? I saw a bunch of red trucks...
I was there the 1st day then was rooted out to play in the shop LOL
If this thread get's boring just sound off , This 348 was put together the night before. Its not a company machine but if it moves it's done by us . It was put together to set a tower crane . It's a real no space job . The plan is to set the tower up and drag the 348 out Sunday . I hauled to them yesterday . The building is at Kansas University med center . Supposedly it gets 3 more floors added to it . Like I said zero room and rig was in the street . 1st few pic's will give you an idea [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
The rest of the machine will be put together today but you can see where I'm at ........... ...
You guys set up a conventional to set up a tower?
Yes sir , They had Wednesday night through Sunday after noon to get it done and the conventional out. Actually , Its seems to be common practice around here .
Actually, a hydro crane big enough to erect a tower that size and that high would require even more space on the ground than a crawler conventional, and I say every square inch of space is spoken for at that spot.
Very true , A hydraulic machine would have a "larger footprint" Pic's are of a 180 hydraulic
Definitely NOT a boring thread, Tiny
What are the bases of those tower cranes like?
Lots and lots of concrete.
Yes Sir , That is correct
My wife thinks this is an "apt" description for my job!! LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FGZvFZdVbk
Thats Too Funny I can see me telling that to everyone
Well I certainly wouldn't argue the space required for the outrigger spread, my thoughts were about the space and time to assemble and erect the conventional boom.
You would be correct about the space required to assemble the rig. But it would be a temporary operation, a short lane closure. A good crew that's got their ducks in a row can knock the boom in a conventional and have it in the air in short order.
They assembled at night in 10 hrs on a Wednesday , Tore it down on the following Sunday
This is funny, we set some beams like this with our AC200 me and the guy I was with had never seen any beams like this either. Probably the same exact Kiewit crew and with the 222 Western Series crane. Same set up with having the truck drivers park parallel to the bridge on a temporary road. We were up in Princeton Missouri out in the middle of nowhere. I think some of the ironworkers that helped set the beams either had Wilkerson hardhat stickers or had said they worked with Wilkerson. Small world!
I guess I just am not used to seeing a conventional setup unless its going to be there for a few years, one thing I have noticed over the last few years is that you guys seem to have alot more conventional cranes down there than we do in Canada. I guess we just like hydraulic machines up here more .
Our bridge side is about to start Tues doing the 1st of 30 KTU jobs for this year . Will have both 777s tied up all summer . That alone will keep us busy hopscotching them from job to job .
Company has 2 300 ton crawlers and both have been stuffed together in postage stamp spots for 1 pick and then torn right back down . The 3 day tower crane jobs are pretty normal . Company has several hydros .Biggest is a 200 ton .
The little jobs are the ones that will get you sometimes . Got a call to load out a generator set . Trouble is the cover that went over the top of the gen set made it Way to tall to haul . After setting the cover / house on a lowboy it was still 15 feet tall . Also it's flimsy and to add to the troubles it has a huge muffler in the roof . A temporary support was built to hold it all up then the sides needed supported be cause it was flopping in and out badly . Motor was suppose to be a V 12 cat of some sort the pipe stick up from the roof look at a glance to be 14 inches
Draggin an rt around.....
At least you got smarts enough to put the side boards on the trailer.
Those look pretty ugly with out the walk boards
Oh we like our hydros too , Company is not big but keeps me busy . Rental Equipment Crawler Cranes Manitowoc M-250 ( 2 Units ) 300 Ton Linkbelt LS-718 250 Ton Manitowoc 777 ( 2 Units ) 200 Ton Manitowoc 4100W S-1 200 Ton Linkbelt LS-518 ( 4 Units ) 150 Ton Manitowoc 3900W 140 Ton Terex American HC-110 110 Ton Linkbelt LS-418 110 Ton Manitowoc 3900B 100 Ton Linkbelt LS-338 100 Ton Terex American HC-80 ( 2 Units ) 80 Ton Linkbelt LS-118 60 Ton Truck Cranes Manitowoc 3900T 140 Ton Linkbelt HC-218 ( 2 Units ) 82 Ton Manitowoc 2900T 70 Ton Linkbelt HC-138 65 Ton Hydraulic Truck Cranes Demag AC-180 200 Ton Demag AC-160 180 Ton Grove GMK-5150B 150 Ton Grove GMK-5120B ( 2 Units ) 120 Ton TMS-9000E 110 Ton Krupp KMK-4085 85 Ton P & H T-650 65 Ton Linkbelt HTC-860 60 Ton Grove GMK-3050 55 Ton Hydraulic Rough Terrain Cranes Terex RT-665 (3 Units) 65 Ton Grove RT-700E 50 Ton Terex RT-450 50 Ton Grove RT-600E 50 Ton Terex RT-335 35 Ton P & H CN-128 28 Ton Hydraulic Boom Trucks National 18127 ( 2 Units ) 40 Ton National 1195 27 Ton Terex BT3400 ( 2 Units ) 17 Ton RO-3067 15 Ton Terex TM-3851 on KW tractor 18 Ton TM-110 on Tandem Axle Tractor's ( 3 Units ) 11 Ton
Todays deal, Not to bad . Pickup a vessel that pressure cures tires . Michelin tire is closing an aircraft tire plant in Kansas City and moving it to North Carolina . weighed 35,000 , also had to keep the boom under 80 feet KCI airport was close
So is your unit the 18 ton?
Sorry I took so long ,No sir mine is the 1987 model 11 ton . And the old stuff needs a little more looking after. Found this on my walk around . Boom cylinder pin broke found the broken part laying on top of the tool box .
Dang Tiny...that's just plain scary.
Tiny, if you found that before something bad happened I'd say you had a pretty good day at the office!!!!!
Atco , That made me shudder . Key , I did thank my Creator . Yes Sir , Real Good Day
For god's sakes how did you break that tiny?
Years of work , Do You want me to tell you what thats like ???
Looks like it was hanging by a thread for a bit.
Might be a good idea to replace the other end too... glad ya caught that tiny.
Today a water pump had to be replaced , However it was a little larger than most people are used to . Water intake pump for a power plant . Used to draw water from the Missouri river to run the plant . Used a 200 ton rated Demag and a barefoot 5150 as a tail rig , Pump weighed 70,000 lbs http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/579928926InKycm?mediaPosition=2
neat pic, Tiny, what's it a pic of?
Vertical shaft impeller pump mitch. Nice stuff Tiny. Only thing I'm uneasy about, not sure exactly why, but when they lay it down horizontal, the snatch blocks shift on the rope cables and land on the cable loop thimbles. Maybe that's nothing, but longer choker cables would have remedied that.
Atco that was changed before the other one went back up , That was the rigging used by the former op for that machine . It didn't take much to talk this op into swapping for longer rigging .
I like it.
Taking down another tower crane , this time using a company crawler . 300 ton Manitowoc M250 . The reason for using a machine this big is the two stories of office space built from where the crane sits and tower is..The roof of which will a car drive and a green space
...
Thursday , Went to the river to move one .AC160 was loading manlifts on a barge so they can demo an old suspension bridge . It was suppose to be dynamited but the outfit said the new one is to close so they will do a piece be piece tear down by using the the old blue prints in reverse . One pic of the old and new side by side
7000 Manitowoc barge mounted and some more pics that I took
Makes backing in a little odd with seeing the river moving in your mirrors
I drove across that friday night. Took a wrong turn form the airport. ointhead
Try running a hoe on a barge, in 4 foot seas. Wild how that moving background messes w/ perception, ain't it?
Sure does had to stare at the ground and tries to handle it
clouds really screw with you while running a crane also, gives you the sensation that the crane may still be swinging. especially on a windy day with small broken cloud cover
haha especially if your kicked back in the seat on a nice warm sunny day waiting for your next pick and you start to doze off, and then bam! You wake up to clouds zipping past your tip! haha itll keep your eyes wide open for the rest of the day.
Is this one of JE Dunns tower cranes?
Yes Sir , of late I have been in on hauling parts for at least 4 of them
Ok how about some "Block" art
Nice!
Last Saturday I had to go to a cell tower job and stick Max jib in a Grove 5120 then standby till they were done , jib back out and counterweights were back on the trailer . 250 foot tower . 1 st time I watched 5 guys on a tower at one time . .
...
...
I like talking on my cell phone, but not enough to climb up there and do that..... good pics Tiny.
...
Wow, just looking at that pic. where the jibs are all conected and it beeing raised. (ladder under jib) It looks so freakish, like it is almost out of chart just to lift the ball. So what would the chart read at that angle. Inquirering minds want to know. Great pics Tiny keep em comming and stay safe. muzy
I'll have to ask but that machine has a LOUD Beeping warning and I did not hear it . With all the squirt boom retracted it will raise max jib no problem however with the boom extended it will only boom down to a certain point and the computer will shut you down
Moving a 777 again to a KTU job . we will be doing that ...A lot this year, Two crews working on the KTU jobs and two 777s in use
Next job was 60 miles south of Kansas City , Help replace a damaged butt section in an American 110 crawler . 3rd drum is mounted in the base section also . Also was a Link Belt 138 there . .
...
Took the 200 ton Demag to tear down a bridge, State said it needed replaced but no money to do it . Inspectors said it is so lightly traveled that their plans are to remove it and block the street off . .
...
Surprised they didn't throw money at it then tear it down.
This deal was some what unnerving, Another KTU job but these pics are of the bridge before the one the crane is setting beams on . It a little strange how they pic and chose which ones they do . In less than a quarter mile there are 3 bridges that are all on the list to be replaced . They are leaving this one till last . Real spooky watching the rig cross it .Close to Skidmore Missouri .
...
Made it..........
You may not believe this but Kansas does a better job with their roads than Missouri
Tiny, you just scared me to death. I was reading and looking at your pictures of the bad bridge, and scrolled down to the next pictures of the crane going across the bridge. The way the top two photos lined up, I thought there was one crane going right behind another one, across the bridge! It made me look really close and gave me a great laugh, when I realized what a idiot I can be when I don't look close enough. Thanks for my Saturday chuckle.
That Job did have another crane , AC160 180 ton rated machine but it was an hour behind and not on the bridge at the same time
hey tiny i just watched an episode of mega movers and was wondering of that was your rig i saw with counterweights where the took an old rail bridge down and moved it a few miles
Ahh that bridge has a lot of life left on it. If that was in Costa Rica, #1 it would be a major highway and #2 they would be pulling 120K lb loads across it.:cool2 HeavyEquipmentForums Take a look at the first picture. They have since completed the new bridge, only took 2.5 years.
Yes Sir , Thats us .. Have to see If i can find some pics .
This was all I had access to today Railroad Bridge Move — Kansas City This project, performed in 2006, involved removing two truss spans from a historic railroad bridge, hauling through the downtown area of Kansas City, MO, and re-erecting. Removal involved a Manitowoc M-250, series 2 crawler and a Demag AC-180 All-terrain hydraulic crane. Hauling was performed, using four, six-line Goldhofer platform trailers, and two prime movers. Erection was performed by a Linkbelt LS-718 and the same Demag AC-180. This job was featured on the History Channel series, Mega Movers
Just the railing being gone is a worry but the hole
Finally talked the boss into digging for pics . Knot head said he moved nearly all the files to home. Here are 4 photos .
cool thanks man!
Did you get to work on that job?
Still think a torch would be a easier ( and cheaper) way to move that bridge. JMO
That day no . But the two weeks of prep work yeah . In and out a bunch with the rehab . Once the spans got to to a parking lot across the tracks from union station , the spans spent months going through repairs . Also the boss's they interviewed for the move are sickening to watch when the camera is on ... Hollywood magic , They edited the idiot of him. Most of the move day work was Vics Heavy hauling out of Rosemount MN plus Kansas City Power and light crews moving power lines.
LOL Yep ,I agree but the city needed to blow 5 million bucks . I was happy to take my part of it
Realy big things in the Netherlands AC 500-1SSL Wagenborg Nedlift lifting a Spierings SK 1265-AT6 on the roof of a hospital!! 2x AC 650 Mammoet 2x AC 650 and 2X LTM 1500 to lift 2 bridges with a weigth of 500 ton each. LTM 11200-9.1 and LR 1350-1 lifting a offshore platform of over a 250 tons. And the biggest lift i'f seen in my life is this cranepart of 2600 tons at the headquarter of Mammoet in Schiedam!
Well, I suppose this is one way of getting a shorter turning radius. :tong
Ah they only put those extra tires on so it would steer better in the mud anyway
looks like an old 2900 T
Some excellent liftie up things you got there............................
Saturdays work;
If you look close the bridge needs to set over the last support but with the section that is already in place the top beams over hang the bottom beams . Can't just set it in place .... has to come up from the bottom and rotate over the close building support and come from underneath the existing section .
...
Also if you look close you will see that there is not hole in the wall on the end this gos to ....Sure hope it came out right
Well its been a day or so since I posted in this ,Figured you needed a rest .Went to Lawrence , Kansas with a Grove 5120 . This may be an odd deal for some of you but the machine was brought in to take down a fat flag pole .The flag pole is actually a cell antenna mount base is steel and the top is a hollow fiberglass tube . When they put it up there wasn't a cell provider that wanted the space. Until now , Took the empty pole down so they could load the antennas inside . Will put it back up later this week .I told you all that to tell you this ...:tong Stuck the machine together (had to put the jib in it) and this building is a hotel with several restaurants in it and a well shaded spot with comfortable chairs and tables . Pretty sweet place to sit and wait for someone to be done working
...
Yep, the Fritzels are clever like that. The city wouldn't let them put antennas up there so they added "flag poles" to the desgin instead. I was over that way around 3 today. Would have seen the boom if I had looked up the hill.
Headed back to Lawrence in the morning to put the pole back up .Whoo Hoo , Only kick is I have to leave the shop at 5:30 am
That's a good reason to fire the erection supervisor! Blocking like that under the carbody pads was a huge mistake. No way that would fly at my company. The operator would be looked at real closely too for reprimand.
Even tho it was with a little baby crane, compared to what I usually run, I take great pride and feel honored to have set these logo frames on our new VA Hospital this afternoon. Hope ya like the shots. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y355/gostr8r/My Crane Rental Corp projects/
Nice pics! What is the type of this Link-Belt crane? And.. what are you usually running?
Thanks! I started off out there on an 8060 Link Belt RT [60 ton] then they put in a much smaller 30 ton Terex RT [in most of the glass setting shots] to get into some tighter spots. I usually run electric hammerhead climbing tower cranes or large crawlers with luffers, towers or heavy lift attachments. I also drive trucks to haul the rigs in and out as well, which is what I did Friday. If you go farther back into the photobucket album pages you'll see the stuff that I usually run. The pickers are only when filling in for someone or when I'm in between long term projects.
4085 Krupp working , 112 foot signal truss Didn't have to haul it far . One of the railroad guys was telling that the new lights are going to make life better for him.... Still using mechanically operated signals in that yard One more to give you an Idea about how close the power lines are
Here's a video clip and some shots of my current project setting 55ton blast doors from inside a building. Almost zero head room and only inches from scraping the ceiling too. Have 3 more to build, stand, then set. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums...cts/?action=view¤t=1stBlastdoorisup.mp4
Was enjoying the video until I saw your mug...............one should be thankful for small mercies .......at least your not as ugly as tiny or Willie59 (aka Atco to those of us that know him)................an' there was me thinkin that them too were makin me look bad with ma pot belly, grey beard and bald head...............can't say I got no teeth but the dentist did some real neat concrete an'formwork last summer, so now I has a half a smile ..............still careful round expensive cameras though............ Real good video though...hope them boys paid you while your jig was on the ground...........................
Brother Stock , I simply can not believe you compared Willie's ugly to mine .....I am by far better looking I am also not anywhere as old as that geezer I did however find a picture of you from years back . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..
I can vouch for the fella wearing the antlers. But the porcupine? Bah ha ha hahaha
Tiny put on the glasses will ya ..............that was my sister but here is me as a nipper taken with a baby brownie.............
looks to me like someone was messing around with a parakeet some years back
Had a job for the 200 ton hydro last week . Only drawback was the 3:00 am start . The business we were setting HVAC equipment on the roof for wanted the parking lot clear before 8:00 am . Minor boss said "I'm going to hunt a light plant" . Big boss said No , that parking lot has plenty of lighting . So a couple of pics with the camera set for low lighting and one pic with the camera set normal and with a flash .
not like you would ever need to see what you are doing.... right
At least we know the reflective vests work...
Great pics!
Here's my current project at the Cape Canaveral ** Station. I'm building and installing blast doors in the 4 high bays of a special build. It's a tight job and with many clearance challenges to over come. I'm running one of our 999's and working inside the structure each day. I love that! A great crew and customer too! http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums...on=view¤t=video-2012-02-06-12-20-48.mp4
Awesome video Gostr8tr! That's a pretty cool project your working on! You don't have an oiler to polish that thing up for you? You sure got it lookin pretty though! What's your tip and hook clearance when setting that top door section?
Perfect job , No wind outs ...No rain outs
Hahaha I would say so tiny! I think I would take minimal swing clearence to operate indoors too. Can't say I've ever seen a 999 parked in a garage. Haha pretty cool
heck I'm lucky if I can take my cell phone on some jobs, Never mind taking a video. nice video by the way
I'm betting oil leaks are a 911
She doesn't leak a drop and I clean her up each job like that. The building is a $30M structure to house as many as 4 satellites valued at over $5Billion each. A very purpose specific design too! I had the main hoist line becket with in inches of the head sheaves when we set the top of the first door. I had to boom up to the limit then walk it in place with about 8 inches clearances to the ceiling too. At times as we were working I had less than 1/2 inch of swing clearances front and rear and just inches from the wall, with the mast behind the rig up high as well. I had to avoid the rails on both sides for the over head crane too. In fact they had to remove parts of it and i put them back later. Then had to install the top track UNDER the rails after they were in. My riggers were excellent and the planning was to a 1/16th of and inch or less in all areas. I like a challenge and this one hasn't let me down at all. There's plenty of pics ahead and behind that video clip to check out.
close quarters suck. This is a job early last year, very tight work. I had to tear down each pick, 3 sections to a rack, had to move for each section, then a fork lift would place a section in front of me, I really had very little swing room. maybe two feet. about 6" clearance by the column the top section , no clearance, a real pain, 100 hand signal later the top section is wiggled into position, I think the were at least 1000 or more sections, the elevators about 50 of them were extra tough, at least the 999 has the option to walk in.
Try working in a plant with environmental cops, and everyone in the plant has them on speed dial. too noisy, fumes, oil.
Finally some Pics from today , Sorry cell pics but pics . My good camera died . My job today was Cake , A company hired us to help with their machine . Rented a Terex picker to them then had to back the boom down an alleyway . They loaded and unloaded . I drove LOL . When the machine was delivered the parts were set off the trucks in random order . Was Foggy this morning .400 ton Liebherr
...
Cool pictures!!
wow! i didnt notice the hole at first.
Here's what I saw at work the other day. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums...cts/?action=view¤t=2012-05-04144319.jpg I love my job!
Not a bad day at the office. That definately would have shut down any site i was on just to stand and watch
Nice pics. I was out blading one day.....minding my own business....singing along with the radio.... and all of sudden the world started to shake. I got 'buzzed' by a Blue Angel!! They were scheduled to be in Fargo,ND ( about 40 miles away) the next day and this pilot was out for a little "pre-show" cruise. I stopped in the middle of the road and watched as he did a couple of loops and barrel rolls. It all happened so fast I didnt get any pics, but it sure was a nice show!
That's awesome biggrader! I have seen the Blue Angels, too! What a show. And what an awesome impromptu performance!
Been all week helping with another company . Moved their crawler in then hauled away their tower crane . Wound up loading out another Friday .
...
Load out
God shot's tiny! I love those Link-Belt Hylabs too. I'm running it's little brother, the 298HSL now. I did get that half twist out of the main load line too. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums...%20projects/?action=view¤t=IMG_1487.jpg
Long Week .... Monday - Tear down a Link Belt 248 at the Claycomo Mo. ford plant , Haul to the next job in Lenexa Ks . Reassemble house and tracks . Tuesday - Finish 248 180 main and 45 jib , Move in an AC 180 to Tear down 518 Link Belt , load out the 518 then remove the counterweights for the AC 180 (3 loads) . All loads but the 518 house and tracks back to yard . Wednesday- Unload 518 parts then back to Lenexa Ks and head to Harrisonville Mo with the house and tracks . 518 and tracks on the ground . Load Manitowoc 4100 house at harrisonville and haul back to the yard . Thursday - Load ,haul and assemble Manitowac 777 120 main in Centerview Mo , Tear down Manitowoc 3900 T 110 main set up an 80 ton Krupp to handle the weights . Fold up the krupp . Friday Load out the rest of the 4100 parts and And help back the 1st 4 loads of parts over a levee in a tight spot in Lawrence Ks .
Hi Guys Some gret pictures, the info along with then really set the scene
Monday we took a 4100 Manitowoc to Lawrence Kansas . They are in the process of setting precast for a small Hydro electric station on the Kansas River .Its replacing the 1930s generator on the south side . Put the tracks , house , and carbody together then walked in the hole . Built the rest of the machine after the ramp was filled in . Used a 5150 Grove to assist , built the boom on top and flew it in as one piece .
Had to go help tear down an asphalt plant that had been sitting since 1989 . Supposedly it's headed to South America . Hauled the 5150 Grove weights to start with then was requested to stick around to move the plant parts around so the over the roadies could pull them . Several of the pieces settled in and the crane had to hook on and help me pull them thru the divots . Also was 106 degrees that day . Was hoping for a short day . These guys just keep going . Finally looked at the trucks and they were from Arizona . Made 12 hours .
Tough station Tiny an' it don't get any easier...............
Hauled parts for a tower crane this last week . Interesting to watch . Typical no room job , had to wait to get in and out with the loads
Tower guys had to watch the 248 pretty close . Seemed like he was swinging every time the wanted to set another piece . Two separate buildings going up with in feet of each other and the companies don't seem to get along .
Its been a bit since my last update , Most of what we do is pretty mundane but this last job is a bit different . An owner of a specialty coffee company wanted a certain deal put up at his plant . As the story go's years ago he would fly into Columbia and buy a certain kinda of coffee beans . That one style on bean he claims is what made his bis . In order to get there he had to fly and the plane he used to get in and out was a DC 3 . So we set a DC 3 on a frame work over his building . 200 ton Demag @ 124 feet . Power lines on this detail were just nuts . Actually set behind the building with the crane . The DC 3 flew from Florida to Iowa , Disassembled and put back together in a lot behind the owners building in Kansas City . Naturally I didn't get there until it was already set but got pics anyway . Notice the powerlines
...
Very interesting indeed Tiny, although bittersweet. It's nice to see an old DC3 Dakota preserved in such a way, hopefully for years to come. On the other hand, sure would be nice to see the old bird with the landing gear up and still flying.
as usual. an excellant post. bit of a teaser for those of us forced to do ordinary work like setting iron and precast. would love to see pics of the lift gear used to handle the plane. got any to show? thanks. tom.
Believe or not it was 4 endless slings on the hook . There are lift eyes embedded in the wings . Not done for the lift. It's something that was made in to the plane when it was 1st built .
Ask and ye' shall receive my friend - http://www.flagshipdetroit.org/FSD/Flagship_Detroit_DC-3.html My Father in Law is the co-pilot and they are currently touring out west. I have had the opportunity to climb inside this aircraft prior to it's restoration but I haven't had an opportunity to fly in it yet. They brought two UK mechanics over to rebuild the engines, I had the opportunity to meet these guys as they were working, interesting chaps.
Tilt up job in Olathe Kansas needed an M250 . Set up pics . Never good when you see a mud hole just to get in the job Not sure why they wanted a full dress 300 ton . Heaviest panel was 86,000 .
>>>
LoL, mudhole ain't no problem Tiny, you do it all the time in that Chevy, STAND ON IT! :tong Love the pics.
Put up a new cement silo . Big rail yard being built in Gardner Kansas . Last year the company was hired to set up a concrete batch plant for the rail yard, This plant is setting up right beside that one . I mean there is only 20 feet between them . But this one is not for the rail yard , Is for the roads running in to the rail yard .
...
Last Friday the company had another odd job . As was told to me by a gentleman that was from an engineering firm . Downtown Kc company has a parking garage that they covered the top floor with dirt and have grass growing . for some reason someone thought it wold be a good idea to add something artsy . Whoever that group was they settled on the idea of a box car . Yep a rail car . They hired an engineering company to figure out how to do it . Right off the bat they decided that a 70,000 lbs box car would be too heavy for the 5th floor of a parking garage . So they opted for a phony box car . Its a look a like but built with mesh sides , Weighs in at 16,000 . They said it would be used as a stage for different things , music and the like .
I don't know about the artsy part Tiny, but if you took those pics, damn sure some fine art pics you took.
No , I did not take those Sir . I had to get them from the net . Phone was left at home LOL
Well, in either case, that's some dang fine pics. :yup
On a smaller scale , Today I was helping swap a 9 foot long shaft In a small wet batch concrete plant . This outfit makes prestressed concrete beams and rail bridge beams . Had to reach inside and snake the shaft out . An indicator of how things are going work wise , This is their Laydown yard for beams . 1st time I have ever seen it less than half full of bridge beams .
Took a Grove 5120 out . Set the iron for a school gym roof. Whole job was on the radio .
Been there brother, can't even recall the number of times I've set something via radio.
The group that came up with that idea must be one of two things: A - Have more money than they know what to do with (or) B - Spending someone else's money Neat job Tiny, thanks for sharing.:thumbsup
Two cranes , Two different days , Way out of level . Company hired us to lift them up to swap antennas and coax . 1st one is a 180 ton demag . Second is a 150 ton . Outrigger span is different on the two machines and made a big difference on mats .
...
thanks for the pics of the awd drivetrain, interesting
It's quite a chore to crib one up on ground that out of level, nice job.
Definitely Will! one need to have it right or it becomes a house of cards.
It's a time killer to block a machine up like that . It's good to have a core group that you can trust .
i like the mini pontoons. your boom truck must be the handy tool for handling large amounts of dunnage. pictures of a class act as usual. regards, tom.
Interesting photos of the cribbing Tiny. Which brings me to the questions...(I'm just trying to learn from someone that's been at it longer than me. How do you get it up that high? Three leg it? I have a hard time on my AT crane getting it up on three legs. Do you block up under the beams? I'd assume you leave the c/w off until the crane is leveled? Do you swing the boom over one side to minimixe weight on the outriggers on the opposite side? and...I notice your cribbing...the way it's stacked...I'd think you'd cross the cribbing back and forth to minimize tipping over...like stacking hay on a wagon?
Was busy getting the rig on the mats and didn't even think about pic's during the process . Normally they just have 4 mats 4X8 feet 10 inches thick . I loaded 4 extra mats 4X8 feet 8 inches thick knowing it was a bad spot from two days earlier . The 3 small mats on top are 4X2 1/2 feet 6 inches thick are carried in the chase truck (pickup) . The machine set all the mats except the smaller ones , two manned those . Also on the truck are Poly mats (pads) 48 inch in dia. 3 inches thick . This crane was headed and leveled as much as possible with the suspension . Then set up on 1/2 out riggers (there is a chart in the computer for that) . Needed the 3 smaller wood mats right off the bat on the left rear . The operator used the machine and set all 4-8 inch mats at once at the left rear corner . Then set two 10 inch thick mat at the left front and right rear . Oilier rolled the round poly mat around to the right front . Starting with the right front (short side) with the boom over the back . It was 3 legged to get on the mat . Next shortest was the left front then the right rear . That makes 3 corners extended fully and pinned . The operator swung the rig around and boomed down over the opposing corner (right front in this case), then leveled as best he could .He raised the jack and extended the beam over the the mats on that corner , we picked up the 3 small wood mats and put the on the stack of 4 . That was enough to get it level . Op then had me back in a little closer so he could pick up the counterweights .
I haven't seen anyone bock under the beams for a very long time . I think that was on an old 3900 T , Has to be near 25 years ago . With the way these late model machines are with everything pinning off in certain places . It may well be blocking under the beams would hurt more than help . We just don't do it .
These mats are bolted together with 3-1inch all threads . Other than that its operators choice on how the mats are placed . With the mats , All I have seen is like the pictures I posted . Individual planks or boards are crossed
The company was one of the 1st in this area to have a tractor mount boom truck . 1978 Autocar , Now they couldn't do a thing without one it seems . At the moment they have 3 of them , Mine being the oldest (boom is an 1987 model) . Have been on jobs that the access didn't allow for enough room to get a boom truck and a tractor trailer in together . It lets me hook the trailer and unload or load . Have had to drop and hook every load on some crane moves .
Thanks for the information Tiny. That's what I'd thought you would have done. And..I didn't realize the blocks were mats. I was thinking they looked like single blocks.
So I'm curious- which one was easier to set up in that spot- the demag or the grove?
The Demag , Front to back span is a tad shorter so that helped and the jacks may have more stroke . Sure seemed like it .
Pffffttttttt, he's feeding you a bunch of BS crane op. "Which one was easier to set up?" That would be the one the hands already had set up when his old arse showed up.
hehehehehe oooh! so true...........
Well, I did see that one picture of him leaning on the crane. I think one of the biggest differences in set up, would be those one piece outrigger beams on the Demag. The Grove has two stage, and every two stage I've been around, you lose at least 4" of jack just taking the slack out of the beams. Some do have adjuster bolts to take some of the play out of them, but that only helps if you have them adjusted up, and then they sometimes drag too hard. It always warms my heart to see someone else have to deal with a little out of level ground. I end up booming over the opposite corner, and telescoping boom out, to get cribbing under a opposite corner quite often. I never mess with cribbing under a beam, that just means you have to have twice as much cribbing around. One other trick to lighten a jack for more dunnage only works on some cranes. If your on 1/2 outriggers and want to go out to full, or need more dunnage, instead of swinging to the opposite side, you can just boom up to max elevation (with no boom scoped out). If you have some counterweight on the crane and the heel pin is far enough back, a lot of cranes will actually get light in front of you and "settle back". This only works on some cranes and you need to know your rigs balance point. I usually try it on the pavement at the shop before doing it on a job site, but in some situations where you cant boom down over the other side, because of a building or trees, power lines etc., it's the only way to get leveled up. Make sure that you never do this without the jacks extended on the other side, I've seen pictures of cranes laid over backwards trying to spin around with only one side out, and tipping over backwards. I don't think it would work on any boom truck cranes with no counterweight, but it does on quite a few cranes.
That wasn't me LOL
Few pic's from a job cleaning up after a bridge repair . Excavator hammered a bridge beam . Bridge side of the company cut a section out and drilled holes for splice plates on this one . All done while stopping traffic for less than 15 minutes . Had to keep one lane open after that . They run beams over the deck and punched holes thru the deck to bolt everything together during the repair .
Today's job was setting a canopy in front of a motel . 45,000 lbs lbs of canopy that will hold up another 12,000 lbs of glass . AC160 Demag . ...
Few pics from Saturday . Pretty much every day stuff . Only thing is the weather turned this into overtime money . Had to roll the crane and trucks into a cornfield to set a 60,000 lbs precast cell site building . It WAS planned for Monday But the contractor was afraid the coming rain would make impossible to get in . He has us come in two days early . From what I see outside this morning it was a real good decision , My yard is swamped . An existing site and the additional building footing was put on the back side of the site . No pics of the building in the air , Wind was pretty gusty so all hands were on tag lines to keep everything under control .
Wednesday through Friday's job was helping a drilling outfit set rebar cages , forms and anchor bolt for power line poles . Held onto the rebar cages during the concrete pour . largest hole drilled so was 9 foot in diameter . Monday I am on the board to go back and move the tools for the drill rig ...Augers / oversized drive bit looking thingys :tong
Company had been storing an electric motor inside for another company for a few months and had to deliver it finally . Suppose to run a water pump .
These pics are from a while back and I forgot about them but while on another job I had a lull in the action and walked around and saw a yard full of old iron just setting in the weeds . I counted 5 Bucyrus 30B's
...
I ran a 30B once in the very early ‘70s, and a 10B, 22B, and the really fast 88B too.
Was kept pretty busy today so the pics are kinda sparse . Helped take down a ( stacker ) conveyor at a sand plant . Its being moved to another plant a short distance away . The height is fixed on this one so no way to let it down to take it a part without a man lift . Second stacker was relocated to replace the one that is being torn down . Used a 200 ton Demag to swing the replacement around in one piece . Only problem was the plant wanted all this done so they could be up and running quick . So with the swapping spots and the sand piled up it meant the Demag had to reach over one to take the other apart . I was there to load parts , Shag trailers and and help with the old boom truck with the tear down . Ended up dropping the hook thur the conveyor in order to let the frame work down . Boss said this morning that I needed to take the 80 foot extendable because he wanted to haul as much as he could it one piece . Sooooo 1st thing was the sand plant wanted the drive end removed so it could be rebuilt , 10 foot long . Then I helped get another 40 foot section removed and loaded out . Just looking it seemed someone counted the length wrong but its still in the air and I was not going to climb up there with a measuring tape with it tied off to the demag . Backed the trailer in and stretched it to 80 feet , Set one of the A frame pieces on then blocked up for the last section of conveyor . When we finally got it landed it over hung the back of the trailer 32 feet Thank Goodness its a short trip !! The A frame under it is close to 16 feet wide :Banghead The section of frame work that has the tires is 24 feet wide ointhead , At least its on a lowboy . Think I'll have time for more pics on Monday .
...
You need a helmet cam Tiny
What this stuff looks like on the trailers
...
I know boom truck's ain't cranes but what I did this last couple day's . A company was putting a new Ouik trip style store . I got the chore of setting the roof trusses . To me it was odd because there were several different style trusses . The guys had to pick and choose according to the plans .
With your peterbilt or something with a swing cab?
Used a 17 ton Terex on a tandem truck with a 20 foot flat bed . Needed every bit of the 67 feet of boom to get this done , The old pete is a tad short at 47 feet
How many setups did you have to do? Does it get cold down there this time of year? With the weather we've had up here the last week I would want to do that without some sort of heated cab.
Boom truck wise , At the moment 4 straight trucks 2 17 ton Terex's , One 27 ton National , One 40 ton National swing cab , 3 tractor mounts . Old 11 ton (mine , no anti two block or kick outs) , A 15 ton and a 19 ton all Terex's ( think mine still says RO Stinger) And no cab I'm on the side of that truck
Tiny, I always follow this thread. You guys do some interesting projects. Sometimes I visualize you as this little guy, like 5' 2" and 120 pounds, and the next time, I visualize you 5' 10", 375 pounds, and smoking a cigar. I mean, truck drivers named tiny.....I expect the opposite of tiny. Would you please shed some light onto this so, I can form the proper visual.
moving enjoy the hell out of your pics. we do similar work in ct. printed out your recent pics moving the plant, passed them around at coffee, everybody was roaring with laughs. we would love to do those overlenghth-overwidth loads in ct. ct. dot says no way. every property here is measured by the square inch! used your quote about the bridge being out to a project mgr. the other day helped to defuse an argument. thanks much. you are a credit to our craft. tom.
Oh god!!! This thread could get ugly real fast.... ha haha hhahahaahha did I say that?
:tong Well , I don't know that I should . I mean I need to keep to a proper image.. you know Besides with ANY of my pics The sales of rat traps and cheese would stop . Further hurting the economy .......... . . . . . . From two years ago , Lovable little fuzzy ball @ 6' 1" and 280 :cool2 Boss buys those El Cheap gloves and it takes a XXXL to fit my hands :beatsme . . . . And because everyone looks different with their hard hat on.... . . . . . . . My most favorite pic with Me in it is nearly 25 years old . . . . . . .
Pappy , Impact was wondering what I looked like ....Not you ............. Thank God
Another job from a few weeks back . Residential neighborhood with some power line work going on it their back yard . Drilling outfit had me hauling the tools for a drill machine . They were getting footings built for new steel poles . I had to get the Pete and trailer through the neighborhood turn left , Then back thru the brush to get in behind peoples homes with the whole mess . . . . . .. Reason I didn't put these up earlier is it was raining and I didn't catch that the camera was getting wet . So the pics are poor . . . . . . . Couple of pics to show that I was in someone's back yard . . . . .
Maybe some of you Gents/Gals can tell me how big of a P&H shovel this is . Just a few parts pic's . Trucking Outfit from KC loaded some parts out and for some reason there is a 6 week delay in shipping . They needed to unload the trailer in KC so the trailers could be used in the mean time . Roller frames were already on the ground when I got there . We unloaded what I assume is part of the carbody .... 160,000 lbs . Used a Krupp 4085 and a Grove 5150
....
.....
Tiny, I can tell you exactly how big a shovel that is: Damb big!
Couple of pic's from up on top of the car body , That's my size 13 eee foot in the pic LOL
lmao !!!!
Tiny, empty your message box so i can reply.
should be good to go now , If that happens again [email protected]
The P&H Shovel looks like a 2800 - 2.3 million pounds fully assembled ............ http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/p-h-minepro-services/p-h-2800xpc/40115-154677.html If it's not a 2800 then it's a 2300 (hard to tell from your photos, a lot of the parts look similar) - a mere midget at 1.7 million pounds ....... http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/p...0xpc-electric-mining-shovel/40115-154676.html
Holy cwap, that's just BEGGING for trouble!!!!!!!
One of Friday's jobs was setting beams for a house remodel . Boss said I'm not sure what he has going but it sounded like a pain in the neck for him . Was 4 degrees when I left for work so a boom truck job was not what I wanted but whatever it takes to keep the lights on . The part of town the house was in is a sub division of cut up streets that don't connect . It took 20 minutes to find the section of the street I needed . Got the boom truck backed in the drive way and set up . All I saw was a 3 story house that looked complete to me . The contractor finally explained that the city code people changed things on him . He was in the middle of converting the attic space of an existing home to living space and because they modified the roof trusses the steel beams had to be added . Then was told that after the beams were in the house he and 7 other guys had to horse them in position . 1st beam was the worst , 28 foot long 8 inch H beam that had lumber bolt to the web . He guessed at 800 lbs but my load monitor said 1,000 lbs . His guys opened up a hole at the peak . The plan was two guys on the roof then I would fly the beam in until until the strap touched the roof then the two guy on top would steady the beam , slide the strap out to the end of the beam then I would control the outside end while the guys inside worked on the other end . It worked but the hands inside were wore out by the time it was done . The last two went to support the peak of the roof . They had put some fore thought in the last two and built temporary scaffolding for to slide on . Just a few pics from outside . No action pics because I was busy LOL
You may be a truck driver Tiny, but you're an excellent boom operator as well. It takes some skill to slip a beam in a hole that small without knocking that center mullion out of the hole.
Best part of that little job was after I folded up and was ready to leave . The home owner came out and handed me a big cup of hot chocolate . To my surprise the other two floors were still occupied . But that hot cup sure felt good on cold hands
The life of an operator, all the time swinging something over other folks heads and do no harm.
I hear ya'. Last week I was taking up silt fencing and cleaning inlets - this next week installing silt fencing (600+'). I hate it but it pays the bills.
Boom truck job today doing something that keeps me on edge . Reaching over and beside power lines . Had a short stack to take down and what they called a blowdown box . Just outside of the 10 foot mark . It had me on my toes cuz power lines make me nervous . millwright outfit is moving a some sort of dust collector .
1) been there. I don't know what the specs are on those wire insulators, but they sure seem to do the job. 2) good to see blue sky there and snow shoved off to the side (where it belongs). 3) even if it were only a pic with a push broom in your hand...good to see an update pic of "Things done at work" thread.
Amen Brother , But off for 3 weeks and this is the 1st boom truck job after getting back LOL
Tiny, You have my utmost respect for making this job happen. On two levels, both of which say a lot about your temperment and patience. Working around wires is nothing to take lightly. Working through a bureaucracy is frustrating as well. I am glad to see that you are picking and swinging again and look forward to seeing more of these jobs from you. For your sake I hope that they do not all have to be so close to wires, but I can completely understand taking a job on so that bills get paid.
In the Belly of the Beast Today I was neither Driver or a lever puller . I was rigging parts off and back on a car crusher . I do have pictures but none of me in a safety harness , I have been a little self conscious ever since I was told the harness looks like the strings on a rump roast . Used a 150 ton grove hydro with 1 load of weights . Heavy load was suppose to be 30,000 lbs. but was some what lighter . There was a grate that had to come off then a few parts they called anvils . The holes in the grate look to be 4 inches X 5 1/2 inches . When a car go's in , every piece of them will go thru a hole that size . The anvils only weighed about 1,500 lbs but took almost 10,000 lbs. pull to get them to move . The finer bits and pieces of metal are driven in to every crack and groove wedging everything tight . No real place to grab them so the plant people weld lugs on them as needed .
1st pic is of where the anvil piece's set . 2cd of my partner , not as much dirt on him LOL . 3rd is one of the shears on site . 4th and fifth are the grate going to the ground . It's pretty dirty and stinky doing this . Everything that is in a junk car go's thru there .
Last pic is of some of the junk yard iron . I was informed that this place " is not a junk yard it's a recycling center "
Is that at Advantage? Looks like some of their Leibherr iron.
Yes Sir . This was the plant on Manchester . Oldest son is at the plant on 12th st as I type this .
" is not a junk yard it's a recycling center " must be drilled into them because I was corrected on the same comment in the St. Joe yard. They have basically the same set of equipment up here, Volvo with a shear and Leibherr handlers. No tracked models though, all rubber tired.
Had cranes in and out at a precast manufacture this week . Loading 108,000 lbs beams . They use travelifts to move and load stuff but they had a hook in a spreader beam break and dropped the beam . They had 2 travel lifts in tandem on the beam . When the hook failed on the one the beam hit the ground and broke the rigging on the second . So both were down for inspection . The machine that had the spreader beam with the broken hook tossed the operator out of the seat and against the roof of the cab . Only bruises from what I was told . No one hurt other than that . This is a random pic of a travelift so you see what I'm yakking about . Pics of where the beam came to rest . Beam landed on some new iron .
One last pic
In My part of the country there are several underground quarry's that have played out and have been converted to underground storage or cold storage . The caves off of 210 and 435 highways here in Kansas City Houses the U.S. foreign trade zone . The one I was at this week is in Bonner Spring ,Kansas . Big trucks were running in and out . I set a high pressure blower on the top of one of the loading docks . gentleman said they will move product from the freezer to be processed then blow it back to another part of the freezer .
...
Spent a few overtime hrs moving a 248 Link Belt out of downtown Kansas city today for another company .
I've hauled stuff from some of those underground storage places. The strangest was frozen shrimp, It was $250,000.00 in 1977. It wasn't few much either weight wise, 2 layers of boxes that covered the entire trailer. The 2 layers of boxes were barely 1 foot in height. It was caught in the Gulf of Mexico, frozen. Shipped to be stored in Kansas City. I picked it up in KC. I then drove to the City of Industry CA, where it was loaded onto a refrigerated container headed for Japan.
makes you wonder what that load of shrimp is worth by the time it gets to japan when you figure in handling, transportation, and profit.
More bridge beams , 108th and 169 highway in Gladstone . It will put 108th over 169 . This does away with a stop light in a 60 mph zone . Grove 5150 up on the abutment (150 ton) and an AC 180 (200 ton) down on the highway . Traffic had to be kept open in one lane until the beam was set .
...
...
That's some good crane operating. And if they did it with minimal time of road shutdown, damn good operating.
The other span was set last Friday set up like this side was , Grove on the abutment and the Demag on the road . Moved the Grove Friday and set it back up for today's work . The Demag had to wait until after 8:00 am This morning and could not start setting beams until 9:00 am per state inspectors instructions . 10 beams total . The Grove could do the whole job from one spot . The Demag could set 5 , Then had to set part of the counterweights off and move ahead for the next 5 . That worked out pretty good . Precast company put 5 trucks in the haul and by the time the 1st truck got back with the second round they only waited on us 5 minutes . The Grove set diaphragms while the Demag moved .
6 minutes from the time traffic was stopped til it was turned loose per beam .
...
...
They had some quarries like those pictured near Ft Leavenworth KS. I was at Leavenworth in the early 80's......AT, not IN! Almost got reassigned there in 93. When to Ft Riley instead and finished up my career as a platoon Sgt in 1/4th Cav. I was on the ultimate heavy equipment.......M1A1 Tanks! Heavy (70 tons) kinda fast (governed down to 45 MPH) and you could blow stuff up a long range! Plus there were machine guns to play with! All that and a pay check too! Wife always claimed my mistress was a tank! Tiny really enjoy your pics. Heavy equipment relocation specialist?????:beatsme Is that a pumped up name for a truck driver??????:beatsme Gotta remember that NASA taught a monkey to fly a rocket with a few lemon drops........ Bet I could toss a pack of life savers in a truck, put the monkey in and he could figure it out himself :drinkup:usa Rick
most drivers today would have to have someone read the instructions to them on how to open the lifesavers. good truck drivers are priceless! nice pics tiny. as usual a class act.
Never thought of that, I wonder if I threw a couple of sealed cups of coffee into one of my trucks if I could get Tiny to learn how to run one of those?
Boy, you're just a bunch of real nice guys, aren't you Tiny's pictures are about the only reason I check up on this forum.
Tiny.... Do you feel the LOVE!!!!!!! awesome pics
LOL , At least while your razzin me your leaving the good people alone . Besides if you want , Your can scroll backwards thru the beam pictures and watch the beam being put back on the truck
Well heck, if you hadn't delivered it to the wrong place they wouldn't have had to reload it Still great picture Tiny:notworthy Rick
I have no experience with hauling beams, operating cranes or any type of highway/bridge construction, but I'd say 6 minutes is pretty darned good! I wish I was first truck in the line waiting so I could have watched! Andrew
Wednesday started with "decking" a trailer .
And then I hooked a load of Grove 5150 weights and headed for Ritchie Bros. In Odessa Missouri ,The plan was to load out 3 railroad tampers but that changed to 5 + 3 ballast machines . Made it a long day . Worked for 3 different outfits before it was over . The long day part came from a 2hr. delay in between trucks showing up and the fact that the last outfit from North Dakota bought two trailers and didn't have any way to hook the hydraulics up . I told the guy leading the mess that I could move the trailers so the crane could load them . He said "I can't do anything with them . If you can load them it would help us greatly " . So I backed up close , Swung the boom around and picked up the front of the trailer and back under . Turned into 11 1/2 hrs
...
Oldest Son is oiling ..... But can't out run the old man
Today was a bit different . 1st order of the day was to fix a busted door hinge to to office . Got the door down and figured out what I needed then my minor Boss gets a call from the Grove 9000 E crew . They went to Olathe Kansas to set a storm sewer box and Couldn't get close enough to set it . The 9000 carries all the weight it can but to be street legal it has to leave 24,000 lbs of weight . It should have done the job set as it was but the contractor laid the hole back further than planned . Had to hustle the extra weight out to them . Box was 40,000 + . Also I hadn't seen one set up with the lugs on the outside like this one .
...
...
This was about the the quickest one , Sorry about the sad vid quality . I wasn't going to post this but thought it would give an idea time wise . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0w9sJeFJGc
Tiny you know that I love to give you a hard time. Well today I saw a real truck driver. He had a day cab with a dry 53' van. He pulls into the convenience store/repair shop/chainsaw place I do most of my business with. He jack knife backs toward the buliding blocking all of the pumps, sets the brake and shuts it down. The owner and I were standing there and the owner tells the guy mover the truck over there where there is lots of room. The driver starts to argue with him. The owner points right behind us at his fork lift and says "park it over there out of the way, I have a fork lift and it even has wheels on it". I swer, some guys are drivers and some just steer. Rick
Had to move a crusher from Stanberry Missouri to Sugar Creek Missouri . Drug a 40 foot flat bed up as I went that had a brand new axle on it loaded by someone else . I wondered about it until I got there . So I stayed busy by dragging other stuff around . 105,000 is what the paperwork said it weighed .
Mean while back at the Quarry ... Monday the boss said " Head back up to there and drag back the trailer you pulled up Friday . It's already loaded . " It's already loaded... That line will strike fear in the heart of most mortal men . While this load was not the worst I have seen it took nearly every chain and strap on the truck to tie it off . Just another day as a driver .
...
overwidth to boot. lovely
Do you have haz endorsement Tiny? I believe that the tank on the front of the flatbed, even if empty unless it has been purged, would require it. Around here the DOT folks are even starting to pay attention to the capacity of bulk tanks in the back of pickups, unless you are a farmer.
I'm think you need a tarp and side boards for that load.
Mr Oxbow , I do but with the tank dry I have assumed it wouldn't be a big deal . I will follow up on it .
Mud So much rain , So little space to set up a cell site . Friday's job was setting up a temporary cell site for the Nascar race coming to Kansas City . This happens twice a year , Set it up for a few days days and knock it right back down after the race . Same empty lot . But the rainfall the last couple of week has the ground around here pretty soupy in places . These mobile cell sites are mounted on short drop deck trailers and are affectionately Known as "Cow's " (Cell On Wheels) . 12 inch crane mats were spread out and a coworker backed the cow out on the mats then I backed up on them to set the tower together . Normally Every thing is set up 180 degrees the other direction and setting the tower go's pretty good but this time 95 feet of boom wasn't enough . Had to flip the jib out to get to it . Also had to set the antenna's up separately because there wasn't any wiggle room in the chart . Just no comfort zone working off the jib . Normally they set everything thing they can on the top section of tower .
...
Cell tower..? Cell Tower..? Now THIS is a cell tower ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1FMQuC_Dy0&feature=player_embedded#
no thanks
nice work as usual. around here the cows have an aluminum 6 section telescopic mast that goes up with air (when all is well) to about 80'. we get called out with the manbasket on crane when it doesn't retract. (happens quite frequently).
Nige , I agree but they called it a tower And the customer is always right . :laugh
How much jib do you think you might need for the "Big One", or would you need to be calling for a Sky Hook..?
Probably going to be a change in that coming Tiny, last year we built 8 trailers for that purpose. These are 40' full box trailers and EVERYTHING is inside them, including the towers and all of the gear. The towers will extend up through portholes in the top of the trailer, no more having to pick the towers. We built the bodies, installed the generators and the AC's on the front of them, then shipped them to Florida to have all of the gear installed.
There are already some in town like that and a couple of truck mounted ones . My personal belief is that these things cost so much to buy that they we hang on to them until obsolescence . There are even some small ones that a 3/4 ton pickup can drag to a site .
I haven't seen anything that will set on the ground and touch that size tower .
I'm thinking helicopters, but I wouldn't want to have the added downdraft of the rotors at 1700+ feet. The video of the climbing scares me.
Me too. I had sweaty palms when I finished watching it ............
that big sob must have been a site to see being built with a little derrick hanging off the high point and going up with the tower.
Last weeks stuff , 200 ton setting antenna brackets 104 feet back on the roof of a building .
My brat was on the job .
Drug another cow in for a different cell company for the Nascar races . I could see the one I helped set up the week before from where this one was going to be placed . Reckon I had enough Truck for the job ???
Spent a couple of hours setting stuff up for an addition to the Police dept in KCMO . The street was just a tad out of level . I was across the way from the fed court and county court houses .
Spent 4 days setting stone work .
...
Is that real stone or a composite material. By the way love your pictures keep them coming
Label on the "stone" ..... Poured Stone . It is a precast material . Has imbeds that made it fairly easy to handle . I called it stone because of listening to these guys calling it that for 4 days .
I was surprised at these guys , They didn't rain out.. I mean , There were plenty of brick on the job . All they had to do was look Did have to remind one young gentleman that while I had a load in the air I couldn't leave the platform and I would be deeply appreciative if he could aim his work in a different direction .
they are masons, there not happy unless they are making a mess for others to clean up, and have no consideration for other trades. its part of their training.
Good luck with that, I guess you need to buy a canned air horn.
Had to move the 180 ton machine around on the job . Ground was nearly to mushy for it to move without the weights . They moved to set the 3rd precast elevator shaft / stair well . Only thing sticking out of the ground on this job . . .
:notworthyGreat pics Tiny! Thanks!
Been hired to another contractor for the last couple of weeks , hauling stuff from job to job . Nothing really to write home about I did have to drag a tank last Thursday 11' 6' wide 15' 4'' tall
A touch heavy on the trailer axles Tiny? That's one of those tail wagging the dog loads.
It looks worse than it was . 50 feet on 38 foot of deck . Cranes load monitor said 40,000 lbs total . Hauling oversize in Missouri you have to stay 10 mph under the posted limit and on old two lane back roads I was less than that most of the time . Permit I had was for 20,000 an axle so I was good with the law . I didn't had much on the drives but that tractor weighs in at 23,000 . Actually pulled pretty good . I did have to steer around several stop lights because of height .
Ah, not so bad then. By the way, I saw pictures of the bridge in Washington on I 5 crossing the Skagit River that was hit by an oversize load. I think it was the height of the load that hit the top of the bridge. Fortunately nobody was seriously injured, but talk about a bad day. Your mention of having to dodge traffic lights reminged me of this.
Not all are chane photos but of two jobs where I used cranes on the jobs Manitis cranes were for a wharf refirbishment in Lunenburg Nova Scotia. Other building is a Piling job in Halifax.
More Photos of The TEME piling job in Halifax and someone is getting new cranes with Mammoet. These crane are getting loaded on a train car after getting shipped accross the Atlantic.
If those are new I would hate to think how much money is sitting there
Is that the permanent location for the front outrigger pads? Looks like it would be a chore to get them on/off of there.
I was using the nuke. Just taking a few photos while waiting for them to count down. They were new cranes. A lot of cranes come through Halifax there is currently 3-300 ton all terrain liebherr's and a new drill there. Kind of cool to see all the new gear going through the port.
Just about if not all our GMKs come across the pond through Halifax and then get railed to Toronto where we pick them up.
The ones at the port look to be 6250's size.
no front o/r on at's. pretty sure thats where they store the folding aluminum ladder.
It appears that there are outriggers at the back and between the 1st and 2nd axle. I believe that what I thought was pads is a spool for wires to follow the boom up (2 block lock out?) I'm not a crane guy, so pardon my ignorance. Pretty nice looking machines!
the large reel is for twin hyd. hoses for the luffing cylinder on the swing around boom extension. no pardon required. good to see questions asked..
Thank you!
Took the 180 ton machine to do a transformer swap last week . 30 miles each way left at 9 am and back at the shop by 2:30 pm .
Nice pictures.
120 rig went to a school house remodel . Only 4 bar joists to set but they were a 155 feet back from the outside edge and had to maintain traffic in the street and on the job . Only one place to set up and it meant flipping the swing out .
...
Tiny, any work for you in Belton lately?
I heard of some guys being sent down there but not Me .
Job for today was to move some concrete wall forms . I Should be used to the fact that having a preconceived idea about what you are doing for the day rarely ever is correct . Company has a 518 Link Belt on the job . The outfit we are working for is building new outdoor stadiums for the Jayhawks . It was pretty nice being on a new construction job , Last couple of years is been mostly rebuilds and additions with a few tilt ups sprinkled in . Looks like there will at least two fields side by side . The structure they were moving the forms from looks to be in the middle of them and right now is the only thing sticking out of the ground . The forms were a tad bigger than I had imagined , 18 feet by 32 feet with a cat walk bolted on . Just had to drag them over to the other side of the field .
...
Man you get to work on some cool sights, I'm a farm boy and work in my rural community, But I do envy you working on all that big stuff. I see in some of your pictures the guys were what look like fiberglass "brain buckets" what are the advantages - lighter, cooler,stay on better ?
The guys that have the "glass " hard hats claim they are lighter and the brim is fatter so maybe it keeps the sun off you neck .Also thought I wanted to try one but if you lose those dang stickers that are mine there is a chance I would have to set thru some safety briefing again
I didn't want to mess up another guys thread but he reminded me of an old bridge project .... Completed in September 2008, this was a Design/Build contract for a 2,222 foot long, curvilinear, cable stayed bridge, over the Missouri River at Omaha, NE. this project, not only involved our cranes, but also Flexi-floats and a prefabricated steel trestle bridge, for a crane runway.
cool pictures
Couple of days this week in Northwest Missouri . I helped a contractor set rebar cages for cell tower footings . 5 foot holes , 36 foot deep
...
Yesterday was putting one of the 300 tons together to take down a tower crane Monday , 260 main boom 60 foot jib . Spent Thursday dodging the lightening to load out and 8 and a half hours stuffing it together Friday .
...
Things done at work? Seems yer just standing around taking pictures...... Rick
I feel compelled to mention..the thread is Things done AT work, not things done While working. Carry on Tiny, your thread here keeps me coming back
LOL I know, just have to give him a hard time every now and then. Rick
LOL , It has to do a lot with what stage of the game we are in . No pics of the pendant lines being put together cuz it's all hands on deck then .:wink2 Plus using the phone I can snap a quick picture about anytime . Old cranker umm oops Oldtanker , I wouldn't have it any other way
Hey Tiny what keeps the foundation holes for the towers from collapsing,my guess is drillers mud but I really don't know Glen
Most of the ground around here is clay and shale past 5 or 6 feet so most of them are just open holes but Near the rivers it's drillers mud or casings . These holes finally hit rock at 34 feet . Cages were 36 feet . Specs called for at least 6 inches of concrete under the cage .That's the reason I was holding them up while they poured concrete
Hillsides are a Pain........ Transformer and switchbox change.
Is that near Columbus,OH No1Hookman?
Nice pics everybody! Thanks!
Only a face a Mother would love!!!
Hi buddy605 ! Very nice pics! Could you please give more info on the yellow crawler crane on #399!
That's around Canton.
When Buildings Attack.........
That needs some explaining ( if you don't mind )
Well, three things happened there. First, the footings were under engineered. Second, most of the weight (several 30,000+ lbs beams) were 80 feet or more above ground. Third, the winds were approaching 70 MPH during a spring storm. The crane was merely an innocent bystander in the wrong place at the right time
Ouch , Maybe it was a good thing it came down when it did . Occupied , that would have been a major screw up . After seeing the title of the picture , I'm assuming the machine did not survive
The only part of the rig that wasn't trashed was the operator station. If anyone would have been in there at the time, they would of had some messy shorts. The neighbors said it sounded as if somebody was kicking metal trash cans down the street. Happened at 3 in the morning.
Cleaning out the cell phone I found pics from the last 2 jobs . Had to load out a propane tank . Not a big deal if it wasn't for the pipe and electrical rack laying on it . managed to get a couple of inches of daylight with a small ratchet strap then just ease it out from under stuff
Then the last is setting solar equipment on the roof of a building in Grain Valley Mo
So that is what OOIDA did with the 20 years worth of membership fees and Insurance premiums that I sent them. Bought Solar Panels and paid some guy with a crane to fly them up to the roof!! Your welcome. George
That is a mantis crane. A local contractor has 2 of them that one I think is rated for 30 ton. Ha has a 100 ton as well. These Bo a lot of marine work. We were placing a retaining wall at lunenburg. Na.
Boy, you don't know how tempting it is to pick on Tiny about being a union truckdriver working on the Owner Operator Independent Driver Association headquarters, but I better not. I'd just be picking on a friend, but, somebody might think I was starting something about union vs. non union. Uh oh, did I type that out loud?!
I think you're trying to stir the pot without stirring the pot!:stirthepot I have contributed to OOIDA as well!
That's not the 1st time I had been there , Set some sheet metal on the roof for another out fit a few years back
3900 T Manitowoc Boot Strapping I assume that the term comes from pulling yourself up by your own boots straps . In this case it means Old School self erection . I have only been in on it twice in 34 years so it is not really common but works . It's a way to take the crane house off and on the carrier with out an assist crane . It involves what looks like an over sized swing set frame , Some nerve and planning . The pics will tell the story for the most part
...
,..
Looking at the pictures reminded me about what a guy who used to work on Northwest cranes told me about how he could pick the house off the track frame of a crane without using another crane to replace bearings or bushings. As I recalled it was done by using blocking and the weight of the boom working with the counter weight to rock the house one way. Install blocking at the back then by moving the boom get the house to rock the other way block and repeat. Wish I could have spent more time working with him and others of that skill set.
I'll put up some pics of some of the older guys loading out a track rig with out an assist machine . Now a days guys wouldn't even try the stuff they did every day
Best pictures I have seen in a long time, thank you for sharing. Some folks at the Manitowoc crane enthusiasts page on Facebook would love these pics also.
When was the last time you saw a 518 Link Belt loaded out like this ???
...
Yair . . . Tiny . Man that's really something loading that Link Belt! I know bugger all about crane operations but can appreciate the knowledge and skills involved. The truly remarkable thing is that someone had the foresight to document it with a series of pictures. I tell folks these days about sucking twenty tons of dozer or mudpump off the ground and straight on to the back of a Mack or Pete with the front wheels six foot off the ground and they think you're talking bull$hit . . . it never occurred to us to take some photos. What engine and tranny would have been in the big Ford hauling the Link Belt? Cheers.
Wish I had been in on a job some of our men did early this last spring. Had to remove a 5 1/5 foot approx. 30 ton crusher out of the second story of a cement plant. Would have loved to get some pictures of it. They had to move it about 10 feet sideways to get to the point a crane could hook on it to pick it. How'd they do that? Luckily they did have a chance last fall to go see the job and spend some time thinking it out. They took a couple beams and several blocks with them to have a track to move crusher on. Then after using a couple jacks to lift it a couple inches took the bucket of old Cummins wrist pins we had laying around the shop and slid them under the crusher. let the crusher down on the wrist pins and used a chain jack or two to roll it along on the wrist pins on to the beams and cribbing they had set up. Once it was over to the side of the building hooked on it with crane and lifted then lowered it on to the waiting truck. One of the guys then went to the office and asked how they were coming on the over the road permit. The local boss said what the heck is the hurry you won't need that for a couple days! To which our guy says the driver is chaining it down on the trailer right now and wants to get home this afternoon! Guess the next thing this boss said do you guys want to hang around for a while we have some other work that needs doing!
Cool pictures Tiny & thanks for sharing them. I'm guessing the old Ford had the 534 gas engine in it?
My first tractor trailer looked just like that, except it seems like the hood scoop was a little taller, maybe not. It had the 534 in it, I forget just how many gallons per mile it got. I finally talked my father who owned half the company into agreeing to buy a 1980 R-model w/ an ENDT 676 in it. We paid for the truck in a few months w/ the fuel savings.
great pics Tiny!! Makes you relies what you can do if you think about it first thanks for posting the older pics I enjoy seeing how things got done without all the "nessecties" that we think we have to have now!!
That truck had a 534 gas engine . 5 speed main box and a 4 speed aux
Yair . . . Thanks Tiny , that's interesting, in my experience any way such things never existed over here. Cheers.
Thanks for all the pics , very interesting. Just found this thread last night , thanks for sharing. I have a old cable crane to play with at shop and this documentary of your work is a education for me.
Old school way to make a bigger crane Found this pic in some old photos and being as the company is gone I will show you what they did in 1965 when they needed a bigger crane
This one confuses me, I just see 2 cranes? I'm really enjoying all these old pics, Mitch
You don't see the Extra counterweight made of concrete ?
Oh, heck, I thought all the old cranes came with that feature. My brother in law (75 y/o) has 2 22Bs and a 15B, they all have steel boxes filled w/ steel mill slag on the counterweights.
Few years back we did a major yard clean and deep in the back there were still 4 weight box's / concrete cheaters . Boss wanted those off the place before sundown .Guess he didn't know they were there.
Tell you brother in law he needs two 15b's..... I'll sell him mine, you come get it.
He'd probably want to sell you one of his 22Bs, he says he's retired, he hardly ever works more than 60 hrs a week these days.
I don't think I posted anything about this job . Got a call from an outfit about removing part of a condemned structure on a building downtown . That building was the AT&T building and the structure was the old microwave antennas and the towers that held them on the roof . Company used the biggest rig they had , M 250 , 300 ton crawler And 510 feet of boom . 190 ft main .. 200 ft of luffing jib ... 120 feet of fixed jib . I think that is the Max on boom length . It did work out that just one light wire that run a single street light was all that needed taken down ( A real surprise for downtown ) Also with the spot the crane was put on it had us laying out boom to the south and right across a bridge over I 70 . Nothing really wrong with that , just odd . It took 5 more days than were planned but a 20 MPH wind would put the crane out of service and the boom had to come to the ground .
...
,..
Helluva luffing boom setup.
I believe that's the Max boom for that machine .
I sure wouldn't want to run it, much less in that tight hole.
If not, prolly no more than 10 ft shy.
I did find out that if you leave something lay on the tracks then walk to the point and find out you need that thing you left on the track ... It's a long walk to get it .... Up hill ... both directions...
Heck, I wouldn't want to reeve those luffing booms sheaves, looks like at least 20 part line sheaves.
Nope,,,, I ainta gonna say it :naughty
Tiny hows things going for you nowdays did you find anything yet
Nothing yet , just bumping around . Lights are still on and wifey is fed so it's good for a bit longer
Sorry to here it, keep your chin up something will come around.
Some early 70's pics , Vandal's hit this dozer but the 2900T came to the rescue
Yair . . . I just love the old time pictures Tiny . . . it's hard to imagine a bloke with your depth of experience and knowledge will be long out of work. Cheers.
We have a 2900T that we use as a yard crane and some times rent out, there still a good ol machine.
Tiny Thanks for showing that. I have heard of it, but never got to see it done before. I know that lots of things used to get done like this before the lawyers got involved and made everyone afraid of everything. Now the rules take skill out of things and dumb down every job as if the biggest bunch of idiots were working it.
Not sure if you can see these pics clearly but I have done this sort of crane moving many years ago . Just a tad past D.O.T. regs
Tiny it looks like they were leading the way in the last pic!!! lol I like seeing all the old pics keep them coming
Back in the day , You could hire an off duty officer to escort .
That's still done frequently around here. In my story about hauling the train car convoy and meeting the house coming down the same narrow curvy road, there was an off duty deputy from another county leading the house. He we could put the train and the crane on somebody's concrete driveway to let them pass, but the house mover came and explained to him the orders I was refusing weren't reasonable before it got ugly.
Ex boss asked me if I wanted some old sales brochures , He was cleaning out his office . Some cool old stuff
...
Brother Impact told me to get back to adding to this sooooo. These pics are from the Hilton hotel in Branson Missouri . 1st let me apologize because I forgot who the assist machine belonged to this was back a few years . Cell companies will spend good money to get their site in the sweet spot . This time it was on top of the Hilton hotel in Branson . In order to get the equipment shelter that far up and that far back it took a 300 ton crawler .
...
This next bunch of pictures is from the bridge building side . The rebuilding of the Grandview Triangle . They are from around 2005 to 2007 . I 49 (US 71) , I 470 and I 435 all come together in that one area . The triangle had such a bad reputation that after it was opened part way the state attempted to change the name to 3 trails crossing but the public didn't buy into that . I think the company had nearly every crane they owned on this project before it was over with. It had huge steel pier caps that had to be put up at night because of having to keep the traffic rolling . One of these steel caps weighed in at over 400,000 lbs . Wilkerson and Clarkson were working out there at the same time . Clarkson took the bulk of the work and still Wilkerson had cranes rented to Clarkson . Having to keep traffic rolling meant you built a bridge before you could tear one down to start the next bridge . In the picture you will see new going up beside old work and bridges partly torn down to make way . Some pics will show bridges being built under others .
...
,,,
...
...
Great pics tiny
...
'''
;;;
...
,,,
---
___
Im kind of gelous of their angel wing platforms. way nicer than anything i had to stand on.
Today I was sent to move crane mats from one job to another for an outfit that builds water tanks , Concrete water tanks . It seems they never build these on decent ground . 1st site was in a creek bottom . The other on a hillside . With the old company I worked for shutting down it left this company in a spot so they called in a St Louis rental outfit . 550 ton Grove The bottom of the tanks are poured in place with the side walls being tilt ups . Walls are poured on on top of the other . Then the roofs are poured in place on false work . Boss for Preload said the lumber is used one time then sold or just gotten rid of . Every stick of wood go's thru one of the holes in the side of the tank when it is removed . Guessing by the looks of things none of the holes is over 36" General contractor over the job had a Koehring 665 on the job . Been a long while since I have seen one
....
...,
Nice pics, but a Koehring in yellow paint is all manner of wrong!
Willy heres you an orange one Tiny what outfit had that one and maybe a phone #
It was Pyramid Contractors, Inc. 795 W. Ironwood Olathe, KS 66061, USA TEL: (913) 764-6225 FAX: (913) 764-8695 [email protected]
Thanks Tiny Ill give um a call
Tiny, Who nailed all those 2X4's togeather? I'm guessing that is a support structure for a storage tank while it's assembled? Also how do they get them out, toss in a match?
Yair . . . One of the fascinating things about this forum are the insights into how different tasks are done in different parts of the world. Lids on concrete tanks are always a pain but it would be interesting to know the reason (and see the numbers) for all the timber false work. Last big tank I saw built here (in about 1980) utilised relatively lightweight precast concrete beams supported by temporary steel columns and they poured the roof in sections recycling the form ply as they went We did a small 100,000 gallon slip form tank on a station and, having just assisted with building a concrete boat, I suggested doing the roof in ferro and it worked out pretty well. A South African bloke I knew reckoned there was an out-fit working out of Jo'burgh that had some patented system of filling the tank and pouring a lightweight lid supported by the water . . . as I say we all do things different. Cheers.
Guess I missed reading the explanation back on the 21st. Must be a real fun job to disassemble stick by stick. We had a boss years back who would probably want you to save the nails and straighten them out on you coffee break time!
Every stick of that lumber go's thru the holes in the side . Nothing is reused . New lumber for every tank . Job boss said , Depending on tank size 7 to 10 days to get that false work down .
Meanwhile back at the yard . This new company I work for is taking over the old companies yard and shop so me and one of the other former guys have been haul stuff to the junkyard . The " recycling center " as they call it has been under construction and rebuild so they have been piling up the cars . My old boss was kinda stuck on using what ever he had on hand . New out fit see's old crap and wants it gone . So the 2 old 50's models trailers that were used for parts storage were ordered gone . When we got to the junkyard it took a while because the guy that the boss yakked at wasn't there and it just took some time to get it worked out . I had no idea they could stack cars up like they did but backing in beside the pile and taking chains off the load had me a bit nervous .
...
Makes you sick seeing cars and pickups that look better than yours going for scrap, doesn't it?
Thanks Mr Mitch .....LMAO
Hey, I'm speaking from experience here. In other words, crying with you, not laughing at you.
what's sad is all those 40's 50's & 60's models going to the crusher, then coming back from China or Japan as your future toaster.
Looks like a good place to pick up a flat tire or two.
Just as a side note, when I take scrap in, it usually becomes cast iron pipe that is shipped all across the US.
Its a love / hate thing when at the crusher . I would love to save a lot of those , Just hate to spend the money .
Another trip today
Did I see right that is a fuel tank at the scrap yard that they are unloading off of your trailer? Jerry
It was a used oil tank , just sucked dry from a reclaimer . Only requirement was a foot by a foot hole had to be in it
Ok I just heard of people being turned away bcuz of gas of diesel tanks! Jerry
I can say all the years of running into scrap yards i dont think i have ever gotten a flat tire from any of the local ones. and running in there with my boom truck i have been atleast 20,000Lbs over weight on two axles more than once
When I was working for Wilkerson hauling scrap in to the yard I believe I have been the same as far as tires go but you stayed on the " path " and you would be OK . However a couple of time hauling crane weights to cranes on the back side of a yard I have had trouble . I think trying to figure out how much you have on is a art that I have never really figured out . I've had some scale tickets that the boss asked me lighten the next load up a bit when he saw it ...... But I'm old school when it comes to loading a truck , If there is open deck space You ain't loaded !! That's another subject . This boom truck and trailer weigh a bunch more than I am used too . It's been a challenge to keep it right .
Wow, the last two years I was in the trucking business my trucks hauled scrap from yard to yard, and from yard to steel mill. I would say each of my trucks averaged 2 flats a week. One thing is for sure, the driver made a massive difference. I have fired guys for getting too many flats, in scrap hauling and back when they hauled demo debris. Some guys would get 2 flats a day, I figured they were driving with their heads up their behinds and couldn't see what was on the ground in front of them. When I was young I was a foreman for a big trucking company. One of the contracts we had was to haul iron ore from the ship to the stockpiles inside the steel mill with tractors and dump trailers. We drove down a concrete road beside the scrap piles they unloaded from railcars. We had a man who walked the road all the time kicking scrap away. The magnet crane operators were supposed to sweep the road, but it was like pulling teeth to get them to do it. We had at least 10-15 flats in a 12 hr shift, and many nights it was over 20. My shift once changed 43 in 13 hrs. When that 5 yr contract ended, the mill manager's relative won the contract. My assistant went to work for them as foreman and he said the cranes swept the road religiously, and he only had 2 flats the first week!
New to us 5275 Grove
These guys rent tower rigs too
Nice!
Well , One would think so but that's a whole new class of machine to deal with . They have been renting those for a while now so I have help on learning to load these with out killing the parts .
I saw your old boom truck at the Anchor yard while wandering around KC on a rain day. Glad to see you back working. I"ve met one of the tower crane guys from JE Dunn a couple times, but i can't remember his name at the moment.
They are renting space from anchor , My boy is working for them and sometimes drives it so it's still in the family.. Sorta LOL
Yesterday and today's deal . Company has 3 300 crawlers and has has a 4th rented for a while . The rented machine is an import , A Sany . Ton of stuff I flat don't like but it's rented and not a permanent addition . Anchor hauled the tracks and house . This company just doesn't seem to care about hauling the big loads . Here are a few pics .... Had to strip some of the weights to roll down off the rail road job and over a creek crossing and back up the other side thru part of a drive in move theater .
...
,,,
Nice pics looks like a real crew, everyone working together
I have heard complaints about Sany's but decided to see for myself .... I am convinced the complaints are well founded . Interference between the boom stops and the mast during assembly . Need patience and different sizes of shackles to when removing the tracks . Have to climb the mast or have a man lift handy to reeve the mast in order to self erect . Takes two guys at least to handle the HEAVY Pendant line connections .... Took four sets of hands to make the pendants to the mast. Pendant line are side by side on the point and one above the other on the mast . Inside pendant lines off of the point become the bottom on the mast . Car body weights set on a bracket that hangs on two pins , when crawling up a hill they will swing away from the car body . May not hurt anything but sure makes you move fast the 1st time you see it
Eh, what's wrong with your CG bouncing around a little? Keeps life interesting
Same job as the Sany , Different side of the bridge . M250 move out from the train bridge to the Kansas State Capital In Topeka , Kansas . Setting it up to tear down the supposed tallest free standing Tower crane in North America .
...
What were they doing at the capitol Tiny? Jerry
Shoot , they have been rehabbing that building for years . Some one said they have been there off and on for 6 years
ten 4 must have been doing some serious stuff with a crane like that! ok maybe dumb question never ben roun cranes like that but how much can they lift clear out at the end with sumthng like that?
...
I'm not sure of capacity , Free standing and at that height I don't have a clue . will have to ask when I get a chance
ok thanks for posting it is very interesting to me when ive never done something down this line of work!
Old school 518 Link Belt rail unload Here are some pic's on how to get a 518 off a rail car with out help from another machine . These guys are good ...
....
]...
/.,
' '""
AHHHHHHHH! NOOOO Tiny you can't leave the story half finished.............will / did they get it off the rail car? ooo the suspense.....
*%!
,.=
Brother Stock , I wouldn't leave you hanging .LOL I'm a tad slow
I hope they had more that one "quick pick" to go through all that work. Would be interesting to know how much time it took and how many guys.
Thanks Tiny, it's amazing how capable people were in those days. Now guys whine when they "only" have a 65 ton r.t. to put a 518 together, on the ground.
Back a few years it was not unheard of have to replace one hvac unit on a building . Old one down , New one up and done Some things done old school will never be done that way again but keeping that knowledge may get a guy out of a bad situation someday .
tiny THANKS I enjoy seeing all the old pics & brochores. it always amazes how the guys of that era would work & not think nothing about it, the its got to get done lets get to it attitude that not a lot of people posses these days. something in the pics you wont see in a manual now days is anyone smoking!! just really neat to see how things change over the years. keep the pics coming Tiny
I wonder if that old 518 didn't have a torque converter. I made a couple of lifts with an old Link Belt HC-108 with no converter, lowering winch drums was free fall and using brake pedals. To control the descent of a heavy load you disengaged the engine clutch, then engaged the winch lift lift clutch. That way when you lowered the load it was turning all the drive gears/chain. Made an effective control of load lowering. And I bet those instructions didn't have a whole "don't do this stupid ****" section at the beginning. Nice pics Tiny.
Ever Give any thought to how much a Manitowoc 4100w Weighs ????
I'm not much of a crane man but was wondering about those spec's. Lists Liftcrane and Upperworks and shows an NTA 855-C380 for both. Does this mean it had two separate engines? Many years ago I did work on a Bucyrus-Erie dragline that had a V12 Cummins in it. It wasn't the 1710 but the predecessor to that engine. One interesting thing I recall about that one was the starting system. In the place where you would expect to find an electric starter there was a pulley mounted then connected to this via V-belts was a V-4 Wisconsin engine with a PTO clutch. Start the Wisconsin, let it warm up a little, pull compression release on the V-12, snap the PTO in on the Wisconsin and let it crank to build up oil and fuel pressure, release the compression release lever and you were off and running! Now don't forget to disengage the PTO and shut down the Wisconsin. I kind of figure that that old Bucyrus-Erie may be sitting in my garage today, in the form of my wife's Kia!
Ours has the speed-o-matic controls, also has a torque and power load lowering on two of the three drums. I see the tank for the hydraulic oil for the s-o-m on this one too.
kshansen I do apologize You and anyone else that I have left behind , I forget that guys are not familiar with these things at times . Just ask and I or someone else will try to explain . Sometimes I don't explain things well but will try . The reference to lift crane is the crane put together , when they or anyone else say upperworks they mean the crane house . Lets see if I can help with some pictures to explain . These pictures are of a Manitowoc 3900W but work out to be the same principle This 1st picture is of the tracks and carbody , carbody is the chunk of iron that ties the tracks together A couple of pictures of the upperworks ( house ) being swung around in place . Settling the upperworks ( house ) down on the tracks and carbody Last the assembled Parts , The lift crane . I hope this helps you see why it has only one diesel engine . Liftcrane is the whole thing , upperworks is the part of the crane that houses the engine .
Tiny, Now that I look back at the chart it makes more sense. Like a dummy I did not see that it was a chart showing the weights. I was thinking it was a description of the crane. I do know that truck cranes have upper and lowers or at least that is how I've had them referred to over the years. I also know that you don't boom out a hydraulic crane without putting the out riggers down first. Learned that the hard way, but that's a story for another day
I used to see one of these now and then but not for a couple of years now , Anyone seen any of these machines ?? Might be that they are just to old . These sales brochures are from the early 70s
there is a contractor here that has 4 of these link belts.. & still uses them on occasion..
They were sturdy machines but time and wear will get to them all . Now a days boom trucks will go to 65 ton so they will slowly go away
This older computer had some pictures that I had forgotten , What do you do when a crane runs off in a ditch ? Bring in a bigger Crane . 108 Link Belt Run off the road and laid over on its side. I went along the weights for the 150 grove then helped rig to pick the machine . Once it was back upright and back on the pavement a waiting wrecker took it on home .
honstly I saw those pics I would have thought you may have needed a bigger machine. Pictures can be deceiving. And some charts on hydros suck so bad the further out you get. Job well done. I grew up running those smaller Link Belts
That machine with the boom configuration was pretty stout . Used it a couple of times to set a 3900 house without weights .. 5150 Grove 150 ton + the operator was above average . He run that machine like it was hooked to his nerve endings .
There was one of these in a 65 ton configuration just north of Minneapolis for (edit, the last two years) doing new bridge overpasses. It is owned by Robert R Shroeder, out of Glenwood, MN. I was working for him when this machine was delivered brand new in the early seventies. It was a big crane in them days compared to the old 599 and the two 5299 Americans we had. Roger
I don't have pictures but a crane about the size used to recover the smaller one in your pics rolled through our town one afternoon and pulled to the shoulder to let traffic by, unaware that just a few months previous fiber optic cable had been run under that same shoulder. The result wasn't pretty, apparently the contractor who put the optic cable in didn't do much in the way of compaction when filling the ditch and the crane sunk out of sight on that side. Traffic was tied up for the next few days while they brought in two more cranes of about the same size to lift the stuck one back on the road. It was quite a spectacle!!
Like Your New Avatar !!! …. Steve
crane about the size used to recover the smaller one in your pics rolled through our town one afternoon and pulled to the shoulder to let traffic by This is sad. Sometimes being nice costs a lot of money
I get a call this morning for my oldest ,The Crane Operator . " I'm sick to my stomach right now " .. That brought my Radar around to full focus . My crane is laying over with the boom bent in 3 places . My heart sank for a moment . As it turns out , his machine didn't have a job today and the boss had another outfit come out to do a 3rd party inspection on it . Kid was just getting in the truck to go help another guy out on another job . He saw it hit the ground . Outside outfits mechanic was in the seat . No one hurt however the crane is down for the count . Boom bent in 3 different places . no pictures yet . He sure knew how to wake me up this morning . Heads up gents , This work can kill you .
one pic so far
Humm, wonder if warranty will cover that?
That's rough Tiny . I imagine your heart did race at first during the phone call . Guessing next inspection Boss will make sure the Operator is in the seat . Good Lord !
He said when the dust had cleared the drivers cab was 30 feet off the ground . With as high as parts are and the age of the machine , My guess is the insurance will total it .
Glad to hear that your son wasn't involved. I wonder what the story is on that accident. In my career, I've personally seen the aftermath of a Terex RT-190, Terex RT-230, Terex RT-450, a Grove RT890E, a Lima 90 ton conventional boom that fell out of the sky and an AC435 that got laid over on the freeway. There were no physical injuries involved, just some hurt pride. Most of these were caused by inexperienced operators on bare rental machines. The Demag was driven by a new oiler that was going too fast and lost control. Never like to hear about a crane going over.
I could tell one about a guy who got permission to borrow the old Koehring Bantam crane to set some trusses on the garage he was building just down the road. Had about a third of the trusses set by hand but wanted to save work. Ran it home quick after work and backed it into position between stack of new trusses and the new garage. Then decided to do a quick check to see if he could easily reach both places. Swung over to trusses, looked good then over to garage. A little farther to reach so he boomed out a bit. Did anyone note the lack of mention of outriggers? For some reason the end wall and trusses already in place did not hold up to the boom of that crane. Boom down enough to allow outriggers to extend then boom up and take it back to shop. Lucky no damage at all to crane, just pride! What's even worse is we had plans to go out to supper that evening with probably one of the best Union Hall crane operators in the area that same evening. Needless to say got my share of ribbing at the dinner table. And after repairing wall and broken trusses set them all by hand!